World News and Whatnot

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: World News and Whatnot

Post by Dead Herald on Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:19 am

No different here, really. Cigarettes sold under the table to minors are a huge business. Any place that has contraband will usually find a large black market for such.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
<br>

Dead Herald
I hate Obama

Leprechaun Gold : 9212
Pineapple Power : 1652

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:21 am

Dead Herald wrote:Not entirely. One of the things they do in this country to "discourage smoking", is to levy massive taxes and tariffs on tobacco products. My brother keeps bitching about how smokes are getting worse and worse and that he has to go to indian reservations to get cheap cigarettes and they're even worse than the ones sold normally.

The thing about tobacco here is that all these laws, taxes, public bans and what not have done nothing to slow down tobacco use.
You were speaking in general, which was a result of the economy, we were discussing direct government intervention in prices and quality, which is different.
They do the same thing with cigarettes over here in Ireland, we have very high taxes on them. Good revenue for the government.
However, we still have the good quality, which is nice....

Back to top Go down

Post by Dead Herald on Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:22 am

Demented Teddy wrote:
Dead Herald wrote:Not entirely. One of the things they do in this country to "discourage smoking", is to levy massive taxes and tariffs on tobacco products. My brother keeps bitching about how smokes are getting worse and worse and that he has to go to indian reservations to get cheap cigarettes and they're even worse than the ones sold normally.

The thing about tobacco here is that all these laws, taxes, public bans and what not have done nothing to slow down tobacco use.
You were speaking in general, which was a result of the economy, we were discussing direct government intervention in prices and quality, which is different.
They do the same thing with cigarettes over here in Ireland, we have very high taxes on them. Good revenue for the government.
However, we still have the good quality, which is nice....

Consider it an aside then. But the point is we still have outrageous taxes on them. And criminals do bring them in and sell them under the table, tax free. Often to minors.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
<br>

Dead Herald
I hate Obama

Back to top Go down

Post by MilkyFresh on Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:30 am

Dead Herald wrote:
Demented Teddy wrote:
NightSwimming wrote:That's part of it. I read somewhere a while back that they're trying to reduce the amount of smokers by a ridiculous percent. 10% I think. Which is HUGE. I don't think a green packet will work. They need to make them more expensive AND smaller for people to stop smoking. It's not about the looks of the packet, it's about the cigarettes themselves. In my opinion.
Increase price while reducing quality?
That is EXTREMELY drastic and would only spark outrage.

That's what we do with everything in the US!
Oh boy.
I was talking to an american dude a little while ago.
I smoke Marlboro Reds. A 25 pack in whatever state he was in cost him 7 bucks. A 25 pack here costs me 17 bucks. Don't even. DON'T EVEN. Cigarettes are fucking taxed so hard here.

Also I don't give a shit about the green packets.

WHY MONKEY, WHY?
No one loves a prick,
No one loves a coffee sniffing motherfucker.
MilkyFresh
Wizard of Piss

Leprechaun Gold : 38767
Pineapple Power : 22738
Alignment : Arseheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:37 am

They cost me €8.50 per pack of 20

Back to top Go down

Post by MilkyFresh on Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:39 am

Thats about $10 Australian

As I've said many many times on this site, fuck this country.

WHY MONKEY, WHY?
No one loves a prick,
MilkyFresh
Wizard of Piss

Back to top Go down

Post by Dead Herald on Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:41 am

MilkyFresh wrote:
Dead Herald wrote:
Demented Teddy wrote:
NightSwimming wrote:That's part of it. I read somewhere a while back that they're trying to reduce the amount of smokers by a ridiculous percent. 10% I think. Which is HUGE. I don't think a green packet will work. They need to make them more expensive AND smaller for people to stop smoking. It's not about the looks of the packet, it's about the cigarettes themselves. In my opinion.

Oh boy.
I smoke Marlboro Reds. A 25 pack in whatever state he was in cost him 7 bucks. A 25 pack here costs me 17 bucks. Don't even. DON'T EVEN. Cigarettes are fucking taxed so hard here.

I personally don't give a shit because I don't smoke.

<br>

Dead Herald
I hate Obama

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:46 am

Dead Herald wrote:
MilkyFresh wrote:
Dead Herald wrote:
Demented Teddy wrote:

Oh boy.

I personally don't give a shit because I don't smoke.

Then why are you partaking in this discussion?

Back to top Go down

Post by Dead Herald on Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:52 am

Edit: Honestly, I happen to dislike it when the govt levies taxes for the purpose of controlling the behavior of it's citizens. I don't smoke myself, but I don't really think it's anyone's place to ban it. I can understand restricting it from minors, but I don't need the govt to mommy me.

<br>

Dead Herald
I hate Obama

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:01 am

Dead Herald wrote:Edit: Honestly, I happen to dislike it when the govt levies taxes for the purpose of controlling the behavior of it's citizens. I don't smoke myself, but I don't really think it's anyone's place to ban it. I can understand restricting it from minors, but I don't need the govt to mommy me.

Yes but that's beside the point, we were complaining about the prices of cigarettes and you were partaking in said discussion despite not smoking yourself, your comment: "I personally don't give a shit because I don't smoke." was very abrasive and uncalled for.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dead Herald on Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:03 am

My apologies.

<br>

Dead Herald
I hate Obama

Back to top Go down

Post by MilkyFresh on Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:15 am

All good

WHY MONKEY, WHY?
No one loves a prick,
MilkyFresh
Wizard of Piss

Back to top Go down

Post by PayJ on Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:51 am

Kommissar Kharloth wrote:Illegal cigarettes are a major source of income for criminals where in the region of Canada I'm from.

All because the government taxes the fuck out of them.
Over 200%?

"Fix me a hot dog with jelly on
I've had cravings since withdrawing from
Low grade acid and cocaine bumps
I can't sleep at night or hold a decent job."
-Matt Berry
PayJ
And I'll Do Fitness

Leprechaun Gold : 47409
Pineapple Power : 22778
Alignment : Right or Left

Back to top Go down

Post by MilkyFresh on Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:52 am

Where the fuck are my illegal cigarettes?

I DEMAND MY BLACK MARKET ALTERNATIVE

WHY MONKEY, WHY?
No one loves a prick,
MilkyFresh
Wizard of Piss

Back to top Go down

Post by PayJ on Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:54 am

Bullshit the BBC says UK cigarette tax is only 77%. But why can I get 5 x 50gs at duty free for about the same price as 1 pouch with the duty on?

-Matt Berry
PayJ
And I'll Do Fitness

Back to top Go down

Post by PayJ on Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:54 am

MilkyFresh wrote:Where the fuck are my illegal cigarettes?

Check houses on estates. They always have duty free cigarettes.

-Matt Berry
PayJ
And I'll Do Fitness

Back to top Go down

Post by MilkyFresh on Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:55 am

Who would have thought a goverment funded TV station would lie about something like that?

BBC are government funded right?

WHY MONKEY, WHY?
No one loves a prick,
MilkyFresh
Wizard of Piss

Back to top Go down

Post by MilkyFresh on Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:55 am

PayJ567 wrote:

Check houses on estates. They always have duty free cigarettes.
wah?

WHY MONKEY, WHY?
No one loves a prick,
MilkyFresh
Wizard of Piss

Back to top Go down

Post by PayJ on Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:56 am

MilkyFresh wrote:Who would have thought a goverment funded TV station would lie about something like that?

BBC are government funded right?
Yeah but I don't see why they would lie about the tax. Only an idiot would think it's so low. See what wikipedia has to say.

-Matt Berry
PayJ
And I'll Do Fitness

Back to top Go down

Post by reg42 on Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:25 am

My mate had a box last night which cost him R10. That's 1.37248 of your monies (or so the internet tells me).

"Fuck, fuck, fuck/Mutha, mutha fuck/Mutha, mutha fuck fuck/Mutha fuck, mutha fuck/Noinch, noinch, noinch

1-2-1-2-3-4/Noinch, noinch, noinch/Smokin' weed/Smokin' wiz/Doin' coke/Drinkin' beers/Drinkin' beers, beers, beers

Rollin' fatties, smokin' blunts/Who smokes the blunts/We smoke the blunts/Rollin' blunts and smokin...

Oh, let me get a nickle bag

15 bucks little man/Put that shit in my hand/If that money doesn't show/Then you owe me owe me owe

My jungle looooove/Oh-e-oh-e-oh/I think I wanna know ya, know ya"
reg42
Uncle Mint Floss

Leprechaun Gold : 36096
Pineapple Power : 30214
Alignment : Chaotically good looking

http://www.last.fm/user/reg42

Back to top Go down

Post by Pararaptor on Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:50 am

The issue with that is they're worried that people will turn to buying illegal tobacco if they make them too expensive. So they're trying to explore other alternatives.

I dunno, it's like trying to ban drinking. You just can't do it & if you try too hard people are going to just going to find a way around it.
Pararaptor
10 Foot Tall Walking Avocado

Leprechaun Gold : 63864
Pineapple Power : 50698

http://steamcommunity.com/id/pararaptor

Back to top Go down

Post by NightSwimming on Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:52 am

Pararaptor wrote:
The issue with that is they're worried that people will turn to buying illegal tobacco if they make them too expensive. So they're trying to explore other alternatives.

I dunno, it's like trying to ban drinking. You just can't do it & if you try too hard people are going to just going to find a way around it.

Precisely. I agree with Teddy in that fact that the only other effective way to do it is slowly, over time; halting new smokers and weening off addicts. But this is the method that they're using now and the results are minute. I don't see why the Govt. doesn't put more effort into preventing obesity or road rage. It's all the same anyway...people are gunna do what they want. I love smoking, drinking, eating and yelling at people in cars. Whatcha gunna do?

First thing we gotta do is get rid of all these shamrocks.
Nothing scares gay folk and black people like Irish crap.
NightSwimming
Sexy Murder Victim

Leprechaun Gold : 4662
Pineapple Power : 415
Alignment : Aged 30. Non Smoker. Liar.

Back to top Go down

Post by MilkyFresh on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:07 am

I don't think it's the government's place to tell me what to do (well, let's pretend I'm 18 for a few seconds anyway... I'm not saying under 18s should be able to buy cigarettes). The goverment should exist to protect people, not to nanny them like they can't make their own decisions.
Look at this fucking country:
We have huge taxes on cigarettes and alcohol + crazy laws relating to weed (outside of the ACT)

We have an internet filter coming through very shortly (us and China, the only countries with an internet filter)

We have no FUCKING R18 RATING FOR VIDEO GAMES (only Germany comes close to being as restrictive as us when it comes to video game censorship, and they really can't compete)

It's fucking bullshit.

WHY MONKEY, WHY?
No one loves a prick,
MilkyFresh
Wizard of Piss

Back to top Go down

Post by Pararaptor on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:16 am

Afghanistan, I think it is, wins out on the censorship front. Games with any kind of shooting there are banned there, flat out.
And remember, the internet filter is only Telstra & Optus. GET IINET YOU PRICK THEY'RE AMAZING!

I agree with you, there's some crazy nanny bullshit but we're not the worst in the world.
Pararaptor

Back to top Go down

Post by MilkyFresh on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:20 am

Pararaptor wrote:Afghanistan, I think it is, wins out on the censorship front. Games with any kind of shooting there are banned there, flat out.
And remember, the internet filter is only Telstra & Optus. GET IINET YOU PRICK THEY'RE AMAZING!

I agree with you, there's some crazy nanny bullshit but we're not the worst in the world.
I know we're not the worst in the world, but just assume every criticism I make is us compared to other first world countries. Then we are the worst in the world.

And I know there are a million worse places I could have been born, and sure I'm grateful, but that shouldn't stop me being able to criticise Australia. Without aggressive criticism nothing would ever change.

WHY MONKEY, WHY?
No one loves a prick,
MilkyFresh
Wizard of Piss

Back to top Go down

Post by Pararaptor on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:24 am

Mmm. Mind, I wouldn't trade it for any other first-world country.
Just needs some heavy fixing up with the nanny side of the government...
Pararaptor

Back to top Go down

Post by MilkyFresh on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:26 am

Yeah. Eh, fuck it, we only seem to be getting worse and worse. If Abbot gets in that'll continue too.

I'm moving when I can afford it.

WHY MONKEY, WHY?
No one loves a prick,
MilkyFresh
Wizard of Piss

Back to top Go down

Post by Pararaptor on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am

Seriously? Man, I'd hate to do that.
My best friend wants to move to England when he's eighteen, it's a fucking bummer.
Pararaptor

Back to top Go down

Post by MilkyFresh on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:42 am

Yeah, I know the feeling.
One lifelong friend moved to London recently, and the two people I hang out with the most both plan on doing the same in the next year or so.
Another one of my best friends is planning on travelling around Australia indefinitely when his room mate sells the house, and knowing him he'll probably never come back.

Selfish as it is, it's really been bumming me out lately.

WHY MONKEY, WHY?
No one loves a prick,
MilkyFresh
Wizard of Piss

Back to top Go down

Post by Pararaptor on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:50 am

I don't blame you one bit. That sounds like one hell of a drag.

Still, one of the things that puts me off moving the most is not knowing anybody where I end up. It's really hard for me to make friends if I don't have people who I know there already. Went to dance classes with 50 people I didn't know at all for 10 weeks, only felt comfortable with them on the last day I saw any of them again.

At least you got some people over there if you do want to escape.
Pararaptor

Back to top Go down

Post by MilkyFresh on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:52 am

Yeah, I suppose so. Idunno. By the time I can afford to leave all of my friends will already be gone, makes the decision a lot easier.

WHY MONKEY, WHY?
No one loves a prick,
MilkyFresh
Wizard of Piss

Back to top Go down

Post by Pararaptor on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:55 am

That idea of my friends leaving scares me. Most of them wanna stick around (some of them want to move in together) but I get the feeling that isn't going to last long past school...

Fuck me, school ends in a year & a half. That's scary as shit.
Pararaptor

Back to top Go down

Post by NightSwimming on Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:24 am

MilkyFresh wrote:I don't think it's the government's place to tell me what to do (well, let's pretend I'm 18 for a few seconds anyway... I'm not saying under 18s should be able to buy cigarettes). The goverment should exist to protect people, not to nanny them like they can't make their own decisions.

It's fucking bullshit.

I completely agree. They hiked up the taxes on alcohol and cigarettes to stop minors buying them. What has this really done? If anything it's made it worse. Teenagers are buying a bottle of straight alcohol instead of a 4 or 6 pack of pre-mixed drinks. They go off and drink half (or if you're Milky, you'll just skull the whole thing in under 10 minutes like a GOD) of it. Cigarettes - I started rolling my own because I was paying $20 for 25 smokes when I could be paying $30 for 80+ of them. So basically, the government helped me get cancer

NightSwimming
Sexy Murder Victim

Back to top Go down

Post by MilkyFresh on Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:29 am

God the premixed drinks thing was retarded.

If you don't want teenagers binge drinking THEN KEEP THE WEAKEST ALCOHOL THE CHEAPEST. There must have been some other motive for that, it was too retarded for words.

I'm gunna have to take up smoking rollies. I need more goddamn money.

Also, the god comment was appreciated greatly.

WHY MONKEY, WHY?
No one loves a prick,
MilkyFresh
Wizard of Piss

Back to top Go down

Post by NightSwimming on Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:34 am

I'm guessing it was because pre-mixed sold so much that they thought they'd make the most money from it.

Now that I've smoked rollies, I find tailors much less enjoyable. The only brand I don't mind is Marlboro, but even so, I'll only smoke them if I have none rolled and I've been offered one.

NightSwimming
Sexy Murder Victim

Back to top Go down

Post by MilkyFresh on Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:37 am

Yeah, rollies are much nicer.

You know what brand I like a lot? Whiteox.

WHY MONKEY, WHY?
No one loves a prick,
MilkyFresh
Wizard of Piss

Back to top Go down

Post by reg42 on Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:42 am

Rollies get you out of normal cigs, because normal cigs aren't harsh enough. They're fucking hard to get back into I find.

"Fuck, fuck, fuck/Mutha, mutha fuck/Mutha, mutha fuck fuck/Mutha fuck, mutha fuck/Noinch, noinch, noinch

1-2-1-2-3-4/Noinch, noinch, noinch/Smokin' weed/Smokin' wiz/Doin' coke/Drinkin' beers/Drinkin' beers, beers, beers

Rollin' fatties, smokin' blunts/Who smokes the blunts/We smoke the blunts/Rollin' blunts and smokin...

15 bucks little man/Put that shit in my hand/If that money doesn't show/Then you owe me owe me owe

reg42
Uncle Mint Floss

Back to top Go down

Post by NightSwimming on Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:53 am

MilkyFresh wrote:Yeah, rollies are much nicer.

I've never smoked it. I go for Champion Ruby. Might try it next time I buy though. It is quite popular with 50+ year old men though

reg42 wrote:Rollies get you out of normal cigs, because normal cigs aren't harsh enough. They're fucking hard to get back into I find.
From my smoking (not scientific/research) experience, I found it was the opposite. Normal cigarettes taste worse. They leave a bad film in my mouth. They burn quicker, making you smoke more and they're quite large. I make my rollies relatively small. I find they're a much smoother smoke

NightSwimming
Sexy Murder Victim

Back to top Go down

Post by MilkyFresh on Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:54 am

NightSwimming wrote:

I've never smoked it. I go for Champion Ruby. Might try it next time I buy though. It is quite popular with 50+ year old men though

reg42 wrote:Rollies get you out of normal cigs, because normal cigs aren't harsh enough. They're fucking hard to get back into I find.
From my smoking (not scientific/research) experience, I found it was the opposite. Normal cigarettes taste worse. They leave a bad film in my mouth. They burn quicker, making you smoke more and they're quite large. I make my rollies relatively small. I find they're a much smoother smoke
I think rollies are much harsher, but it's good. I also find that they burn quicker though. Only real downside for me.

Whiteox is meant to be ridiculously harsh, but I thought it was just kind of nice. Sammy does think it destroys his voice if he smokes a whole pouch though.

WHY MONKEY, WHY?
No one loves a prick,
MilkyFresh
Wizard of Piss

Back to top Go down

Post by reg42 on Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:17 am

NightSwimming wrote:

Funny, my rollies burn quicker than normal smokes. And yeah rollies taste much better, I just find they're harsher on the throat.

I'll take a rollie over a smoke any day.

reg42
Uncle Mint Floss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down