Furburt Reviews: Naked

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Furburt Reviews: Naked

Post by Furburt on Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:33 pm

And now, Furburt reviews :

Naked, a 1993 film by visionary British director Mike Leigh, is at its heart a character study.
It follows Johnny (David Thewlis), a misanthropic, jaded Mancunian, as he journeys through a cavalcade of disappointments and despair in modern England.

He is a bitter man, an unabashed nihilist who has dived headfirst into hedonism. He drinks, he steals, he smokes, takes drugs and fornicates without restraint. He is only 27, but as a character he meets remarks, he looks like he's hitting 40. His philosophies are apocalyptic and demented. He believes in god, and hates him bitterly.

The first image we see is him raping a woman in Manchester, then stealing a car and driving maniacally to London to escape a beating. Seeking shelter, he arrives at the house of his ex-girlfriend, Louise (Lesley Sharp). He manages to ingratiate himself with her roommate, the dim cockney Sophie (Katrin Cartlidge). She falls for him almost instantly, but while he is nice, if hyperactive, at first, his mood quickly changes and he insults and berates her. He leaves the flat, and journeys the streets, but the flat plays a pivotal role.

Johnny is not well. It's clear, if never stated, that he's suffering from some sort of crippling mental illness. He's tearing himself apart very rapidly, and he's obviously aware that he hasn't got long to live if he keeps it up. Although the first impression we get of the scraggly bearded and thin Johnny is that he's scum, it becomes quickly apparent that he's a very intelligent man.

He's well read, sophisticated and a very funny person. His hamartia is his bitterness and misanthropy. He could advance himself, and he states himself that he's actually very academically qualified, but he believes that it's pointless to even try. Despite how horrible he can be at times, to himself and others, he is probably the most likable character in the whole thing.

Johnny, summing up his world viewpoint.

This could be due to the fact that nobody in Naked is very likable. Unlike Leighs previous work up to this point, Naked is a dark, grimy film. It paints a picture of a London so utterly decrepit and grim that it almost feels like a different reality. The film is episodic in nature, with Johnny drifting through it, like Dante, through the levels of hell, meeting tired, broken people and their pathetic lives. His encounters are varied, he meets a security guard and debates with him on the topic of god, he meets a drunken woman trying to recapture her youth by being sexually open and refuses to have sex with her, he meets vagrants, workers, people as lost as him on his aimless journey towards nothing.

Everyone in Johnny's world is either stupid, arrogant or delusional. It becomes rapidly clear that Johnny, for all his faults, is a ray of intelligence in a world of people who cannot think. The scene where he is living rough in the streets of London, and comes into contact with a twitchy Scotsman (Played by Ewen Bremmer, who you may remember from Trainspotting and Black Hawk Down) looking for his girlfriend is funny and depressing all at once, as he tries to talk intelligently to what is obviously an irredeemable moron.

There is nothing nice in this picture, no happy undercurrent or hope. The humour is so black it almost hurts to laugh at it. The colour is washed out and bleak. The score is mostly a depressing cello, playing what's almost a lament. However, it's exquisitely filmed. The camerawork is natural and restrained, giving the picture an interesting down to earth feel.

While Naked is mostly about Johnny, is also occasionally focuses on Jeremy/Sebastian (it's never really clarified which). Jeremy is the landlord of the house Louise and Sophie live in, he's a middle class, generically handsome person, and he's an utter bastard. As misanthropic as Johnny, he lives in a world where he can take what he wants, and he always succeeds. He has sex with random women, bullies and mistreats them, he insults people and lives a life where he is the only person who is allowed to be happy. He's almost as insane as Johnny is too, during one of his sexual encounters, he chokes the poor naive waitress he's making love to and dementedly confesses that he's going to shoot himself on his 40th birthday, so he won't grow old.

In many ways, Jeremy and Johnny are both sides of the same person. Johnny hates the world, and people in it, but he tries sometimes to save it, and most of his hate is turned on himself. Jeremy hates the world, and enjoys being cruel to people in it. He's a very arrogant, but also a very stupid person. We can't help but empathize with Johnny.

Jeremy with one of his 'conquests'

This movie is carried along not so much by events in it, but by how the characters react to each other. Most of the dialogue is written by improvisation in rehearsal, and then that is put into the script and not ad-libbed during actual filming, as is Mike Leighs technique. The performances are very natural, and David Thewlis, in what is really his breakthrough role, is superb, not just in conveying Johnny's emotions, but in subtly hinting at others below the surface as well.

If you haven't realised yet, I'll say it again. Naked is very hard hitting. It's depressing, painfully honest, and heavy on sexual attacks. It is not a feel good film.

However, as a film, it is a mini-masterpiece. It is to the point and brutal. It has no morals, no lesson, it is simply an observation of one of society's lowest rungs. It has no agenda, and seeks not to inform but to simply observe. This is its great strength. I would recommend it to anyone who considers themselves a film lover, as long as they can bear the crushing and sometimes unbearable realistic decay on display here.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
This device will make me famous
This device will make me fly
This device will make me holy
This device defies all laws

Laws that are stupid, and make no sense.

Big Black, Newman Generator

The New Adventures of Momo Murphy
Furburt
Arrested For Copying Dogs

Leprechaun Gold : 71847
Pineapple Power : 42707
Alignment : The Clan MacGinty, the Clan Nangle, The Clan O'Neill and the Clan Moriarty

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Furburt

Back to top Go down

Re: Furburt Reviews: Naked

Post by ItsAChiaotzu on Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:19 pm

Ooh, this sounds like something I'd hate, excellent review though.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time"

"On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"

"This, is chemical burn"
ItsAChiaotzu
Luke Stairwalker

Leprechaun Gold : 2535
Pineapple Power : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by reg42 on Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:54 pm

Didn't you post this on the Escapist a while back? Well it was and remains a good review.
I think I'd like it, I love bleakness.

"Fuck, fuck, fuck/Mutha, mutha fuck/Mutha, mutha fuck fuck/Mutha fuck, mutha fuck/Noinch, noinch, noinch

1-2-1-2-3-4/Noinch, noinch, noinch/Smokin' weed/Smokin' wiz/Doin' coke/Drinkin' beers/Drinkin' beers, beers, beers

Rollin' fatties, smokin' blunts/Who smokes the blunts/We smoke the blunts/Rollin' blunts and smokin...

Oh, let me get a nickle bag

15 bucks little man/Put that shit in my hand/If that money doesn't show/Then you owe me owe me owe

My jungle looooove/Oh-e-oh-e-oh/I think I wanna know ya, know ya"
reg42
Uncle Mint Floss

Leprechaun Gold : 35980
Pineapple Power : 30214
Alignment : Chaotically good looking

http://www.last.fm/user/reg42

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:23 pm

reg42 wrote:Didn't you post this on the Escapist a while back? Well it was and remains a good review.
I think I'd like it, I love bleakness.

Yeah, I'm reposting them here. I think I'd prefer to link prospective viewers to here than I would the Escapist these days.

Furburt

Alignment : The Clan MacGinty, the Clan Nangle, The Clan O'Neill and the Clan Moriarty

Back to top Go down

Post by Walnutman on Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:39 am

I'll try and watch this next time I get a chance. I also remember the scene with the Scottish man, you sent me a video of it, didn't you compare me to him?

Walnutman
Refuses to Let Humanity Be Undermined by Robotics

Leprechaun Gold : 6759
Pineapple Power : 617

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:46 am

Oh, I remember you making this review.
Horrible memory though so, assuming based on what I remember, to sum the movie up:
Shit happens, lots of shit happens.

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:20 am

Walnutman wrote:I'll try and watch this next time I get a chance. I also remember the scene with the Scottish man, you sent me a video of it, didn't you compare me to him?

I hope not, because that would be implying that you're a moron.

Which you are not.

Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir laughter on Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:52 pm

Great review man.
I really dont watch enough films, so maybe I could start with this.

to kill it, or to kill it with fire. That is the question
Sir laughter
Sprinkle on the cheese

Leprechaun Gold : 2473
Pineapple Power : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:08 pm

Sir laughter wrote:Great review man.
I really dont watch enough films, so maybe I could start with this.

It's as good a place as any, just don't expect to feel good at the end.

Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by Komrade Kharloth on Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:07 am

Might have to watch this some time...

Μολών λαβέ

Komrade Kharloth
God's Hero-man

Leprechaun Gold : 14500
Pineapple Power : 1892
Alignment : Orthodox

Back to top Go down

Post by Walnutman on Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:16 am

Furburt wrote:
Walnutman wrote:I'll try and watch this next time I get a chance. I also remember the scene with the Scottish man, you sent me a video of it, didn't you compare me to him?

I hope not, because that would be implying that you're a moron.

Which you are not.

D'aww thanks.

I'm not sure if it was my accent or the way he talked.

Bah I can't really remember.
Walnutman
Refuses to Let Humanity Be Undermined by Robotics

Leprechaun Gold : 6759
Pineapple Power : 617

Back to top Go down

Post by GrinningManiac on Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:58 pm

Furburt wrote:

I love the poster. I bet at least 20 people went into a film expecting to see Mike Leigh Naked

...he...he dosen't get naked in this...right? right?

मैं हिन्दी जानना चाहता हूँ…અને ગુજરાતી…ਅਤੇ ਪੰਜਾਬੀ…এবং হয়ত বাংলা.
Aprenderé a bailar salsa y nada detendrá me. 对不起我的中文不好,对不起我不知道你说什么。
Не слышны в саду даже шорохи. Все здесь замерло до утра, Если б знали вы, как мне дороги, Подмосковные вечера.
The problem with having an open mind, you see, is that people insist on coming along and putting things in it
- Sir Terry Pratchett
I have a blog nao
GrinningManiac
His Grace, His Excellency, The Duke of Ankh; Commander Sir Alasdair Lawrence

Leprechaun Gold : 15070
Pineapple Power : 3009
Alignment : Morally Unperturbed Mongoose-Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:41 pm

GrinningManiac wrote:
I love the poster. I bet at least 20 people went into a film expecting to see Mike Leigh Naked

...he...he dosen't get naked in this...right? right?

No, Mike Leigh doesn't get Naked. Probably a good thing, he's not the sexiest looking guy ever.

Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top