Music appreciation and sharing

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Music appreciation and sharing

Post by Furburt on Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:42 pm

Similar to the "What are you listening to" thread, but with the emphasis on discovering new music from other users.

Basically, the structure is thus. You post two sets of songs: One from a band or genre that you have loved for a long time, and would love others to listen to, and another of something that you've only recently gotten into yourself. You can post as many songs as you want for each, from as many different genres and bands as you want, although if you're posting more than one, spoilers might be a good idea. Youtube embeds seem to work best. There's a button on the reply screen for linking videos.

Also, just so we can keep this from being a list thread, write a paragraph on why you like said music. Doesn't have to be long, a couple of sentences is fine, just so it stays interesting. And do listen to others music, it can be really worth it.

I'll start:

Well, much to my surprise, I seem to have gotten into rap music. Some rap music anyway, namely, these guys, Eric B and Rakim, a New York MC/DJ duo who operated in the late 80's, and I have to say, their stuff has just blown me away. Usually, I find rap turns me off, the self-aggrandizement apparent in a lot of the lyrics, while good for some, just annoys me, but that doesn't seem to happen with these guys. They've got a real funky groove going through all the songs, the lyrics are smart and rhyme well, and the rapping is fast and furious. I discovered them upon learning that one of my favourite bands, Godflesh (An industrial metal band) were influenced by them heavily, and in fact, Godflesh's most famous song, Christbait Rising, uses a modified version of the drumbeat at the end of Microphone Fiend by these guys.

As for the classic, I'm going to go with Cathedral. They're a doom metal band formed by ex-Napalm Death singer Lee Dorrian, and they're brilliant. They've got a really good 70's feel to them, and Lee's singing, while not technically great, is distinctive and charmingly over the top. Very much influenced by Black Sabbath, and they've got their knack for killer riffs.

You don't have to write as much as I did, so don't worry.

Last edited by Furburt on Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
This device will make me famous
This device will make me fly
This device will make me holy
This device defies all laws

Laws that are stupid, and make no sense.

Big Black, Newman Generator

The New Adventures of Momo Murphy
Furburt
Arrested For Copying Dogs

Leprechaun Gold : 71900
Pineapple Power : 42707
Alignment : The Clan MacGinty, the Clan Nangle, The Clan O'Neill and the Clan Moriarty

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Furburt

Back to top Go down

Re: Music appreciation and sharing

Post by reg42 on Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:54 pm

Well I'll start off with the classic.

I guess I'll go with a band I've been listening to for quite a few years now (About... 4-ish), Marilyn Manson. Manson was arguable the band which got me into metal, so I have a great deal of love for the band. The nice thing about them is that their musical history is quite diverse (within the boundaries of industrial metal), so you have quite a good chance of finding at least one or two songs you may like by them. For example...
Industrial

to something emo-esque

to fight music

to something haunting

to glam

to a creepy as hell cover

The new band I'm really into is The Ink Spots. Ok, I'm kind of cheating on this one, because I got into them a while ago, but I think they're just so great that I can cheat. So yeah, it's a pretty big difference from Manson, so my musical taste has broadened a bit since 2006. They're a vocal group from the 1930s. Most people know them as the guys who do the Fallout series' main songs. Anyway, I'll just post a few of my favourites.

Last edited by reg42 on Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"Fuck, fuck, fuck/Mutha, mutha fuck/Mutha, mutha fuck fuck/Mutha fuck, mutha fuck/Noinch, noinch, noinch

1-2-1-2-3-4/Noinch, noinch, noinch/Smokin' weed/Smokin' wiz/Doin' coke/Drinkin' beers/Drinkin' beers, beers, beers

Rollin' fatties, smokin' blunts/Who smokes the blunts/We smoke the blunts/Rollin' blunts and smokin...

Oh, let me get a nickle bag

15 bucks little man/Put that shit in my hand/If that money doesn't show/Then you owe me owe me owe

My jungle looooove/Oh-e-oh-e-oh/I think I wanna know ya, know ya"
reg42
Uncle Mint Floss

Leprechaun Gold : 36033
Pineapple Power : 30214
Alignment : Chaotically good looking

http://www.last.fm/user/reg42

Back to top Go down

Post by Unabletothinkofname on Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:22 pm

Well, I'll start with one of my all-time favourite bands, Porcupine Tree. They originally started in the late 80's, like many great bands, as a joke, but gradually grew to be more and more popular on the local scene leading up to the release of their debut album On The Sunday Of Life in 1992. After the release of the highly progressive likes of The Sky Moves Sideways (bookended by its 34-minute title track) and Signify they moved into a more alternative rock direction, with 1999's Stupid Dream being highly praised. In 2001 frontman Steven Wilson was invited to produce Opeth's Blackwater Park, and he soon discovered the prog and extreme metal underground which led to the release of In Absentia, their hugely successful and still most praised album, showcasing a harder direction, and since then they've gone from strength to strength with their new metal-influenced sound, releasing 3 further albums and touring with the likes of Opeth and Dream Theater.

And the new band, Bring Me The Horizon. They're for some reason detested in the metal scene, mainly for looking like scene kids. It frustrates me that so many people listen with their eyes rather than their ears. Anyway after the release of 2006's universally panned Count Your Blessings (deathcore by numbers) they progressed into a more metalcore sound with 2008's Suicide Season and have just released their new album There Is A Hell..., garnering 5/5 in Kerrang and 9/10 in Metal Hammer, and it's obvious to me why-it takes a stunning progressive bent, incorporating electronics, choir, strings and more into a truly brilliant record, and this is from someone who hates metalcore.

Unabletothinkofname
Delirium Cordia

Leprechaun Gold : 14338
Pineapple Power : 10216
Alignment : Lawful Derp

http://ocean-machines.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:56 pm

Here I'll run you through a selection of Grime: PS(IGNORE WESTWOOD)

For future reference: Par- Similar to a "dis". YOU say "Stupid Haircut!" I say "THAT'S A PARRR!"
Boy off the ting- To fire a gun
Bled/Blud/Bledren/Cuz/Fam/Famalam/Mans/Mandems/Cats-Mates
Next Hype- (See end off the song) Next song
Batch-(Drug Reference)
Scratch-(Drug Reference)
Farmer-Drug Dealer
Bax-Punch/Smack
Headtop- Head
All Star Pars-A proposed mixtape featuring Temps
Slew Dem-Tempa T's crew
Zuggy's- as in a Blunt
Dutty-As in Dirty
Bars-As in musical bars EG Spitting Bars
Pussy 'Ole/Rude Boi/Rude Boy-A Coward
Tools-Weapons (as in guns or knives)
Laid down- Killed
Five Oh/Feds/Federales/Po-Po- Police
Merked/Murked-Like "Owned" or "Taken"
Nutted-Headbutted
It's alot-(Drug Reference)
Locked in-Listening (as in "Where you locked in to Kerrang.fm last night?")
Leng-Weapon specifically guns

REFER TO DEFINITIONS AS NEEDED

Last edited by Rt.Hon. Mr.Wiggles on Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:20 pm

APPRECIATING FREESTYLE

Appreciating freestyle is appreciating Grime. By this logic, you should respect KISS FM DJ Logan Sama for his consistently awesome show 23:00 - 00:00. TRY IT It's a great platform to discover new artists, tracks and even better for those guys who get to showcase there free-styling talents!

Watch some classics!

Don't let me show you it all though!

ADVENTURE DISCOVER ENJOY

Trust me go to his channel and see it yourself.I personally find it much more fulfilling!

Back to top Go down

Post by Timotei on Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:53 am

I'm a girl who is a real die hard for the oldies. I rarely like any new music (other than Eurobeat J-Pop) and the ones I do like are often just single songs like Viva La Vida by Cold Play.

I'm head over heels for jazz swingers like Sinatra and Fats Wallace. That special toe-tapping type of beats from the 40s and 50s are possible some of the few genres of music which can really get me to physically move myself while listening.

Some good ol' beats from Blue Eyes

Spoiler:

Your sig annoyed me

Timotei
ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWAH!

Leprechaun Gold : 2742
Pineapple Power : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by SnootyJuggaloman on Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:27 pm

Well if you haven't guessed it already I like artists like Insane Clown Posse and Twiztid but there's a few more guys on their label Psychopathic Records that are pretty good too if you give them a shot.

For example there's

Boondox:

Blaze Ya Dead Homie:

ABK or in full Anybody Killa

[youtube[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfYXKcEz_-0[/youtube]

and there's Dark Lotus which is pretty much all of the above in one big group.

SnootyJuggaloman
Madcunt

Leprechaun Gold : 2729

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:34 pm

Some good stuff here indeed.

I'll write a response to all of you when I get a chance to listen to them all.

Furburt

Alignment : The Clan MacGinty, the Clan Nangle, The Clan O'Neill and the Clan Moriarty

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:48 pm

Just like most other kids, I was fascinated by mystery and magic when I was young. I re-read the Harry Potter books several times, my older sister read me Lord of the Rings and The Belgariad whenever she came over, I adored Star Wars, and loved everything fantasy or closely resembling to fantasy.

As such, when it came to my music taste, I loved ambiguous music, without any defined meaning to it, without any lyrics I could mimic and understand, without any message, just music. Music that could take me away to another place.

I fell in love with classical music. And my biggest idol was Robert Wells and his Rhapsody in Rock.

Spoiler:

What I consider to be the greatest modernization of classical music ever, Robert Wells and his Rhapsody in Rock opened my eyes to classical music. My very first live concert was watching him play for 7 hours straight with his band.

After a while I lost interest in him and explored other genres, but classical would always have a huge part of my life. Later in my years, I discovered Chopin and his beautiful music.

Spoiler:

My discovery of Chopin was largely thanks to video games, and while Eternal Sonata, the game that introduced me to him, sucked balls, my love for him never went away. I still have his entire library in my iPhone, ready to be listened to whenever I want.

Speaking of Eternal Sonata, another part of classical music I enjoy is the music in video games! Games like Eternal Sonata, Shadow of the Colossus and Chrono Trigger all provided me with beautiful music that I'll always love.

Spoiler:

Then we come to today, where I discovered some of the most magic and beautiful music I've ever heard through my big interest in Asian cinema. Today, Asia truly is the greatest place for refined classical music, and everyone should listen to the tunes of Joe Hisaishi or Ryuichi Sakamoto.

Spoiler:

That's really all I have to say. From my past to my present, classical music in its many forms will always stand the closest to my heart. They take my places I can only dream of, they make a casual stroll into an adventure of discovery and serenity. They perfect the atmosphere of the world around them, no matter how dark and depressing it might get.

Music is the most beautiful art there is, and classical is the best kind of music there is.

I felt my sphincter clench and my scrotum contract in shock at his response.
Hubilub
Conquistador of the Useless

Leprechaun Gold : 15024
Pineapple Power : 4328
Alignment : Probiotics are Evil

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsAChiaotzu on Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:57 pm

Ok, a band I've been into for a while, s'gotta be my favourite band, Between The Buried And Me.

Spoiler:

And then someone I'm just getting into, probably Larry Carlton, who has some of the tastiest phrasing ever.

Spoiler:

Last edited by ItsAChiaotzu on Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spoilers)

"This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time"

"On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"

"This, is chemical burn"
ItsAChiaotzu
Luke Stairwalker

Leprechaun Gold : 2588

Back to top Go down

Post by Walnutman on Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:13 pm

Firstly, the band I've loved for a long time. I, like a lot of people, hadn't heard of them until their smash hit, Feel good inc. . Since then I've followed them avidly, my favourite album is still Demon days.

I am, of course, talking about the Gorillaz.

Spoiler:

There are two bands that I I am just getting into, they both have a similar style so I'll put them both in the same spoiler. The View are the more upbeat side of things, where as Glasvegas and the more melancholy side, both fantastic. Plus they get bonus points for being Scottish!

Spoiler:

Walnutman
Refuses to Let Humanity Be Undermined by Robotics

Leprechaun Gold : 6812
Pineapple Power : 617

Back to top Go down

Post by ggggggggggg on Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:45 pm

Now, I love Hip Hop, but I was getting a little tired of all the typical "bitch ass hoes, step to da flow" crap that you see a lot of, so in my quest for good Hip Hop music, I turned to 'alternative' forms of it. Things like trip hop, instrumental hip hop etc.

And so, I came across DJ Shadow's Entroducing... which truly revolutionized instrumental Hip Hop.

The album is made entirely from samples (which got it into the Guinness book of records for being the first album to do so) from old horror movies and vinyls from Shadows collection, to create a small collection of ambient Hip Hop brilliance.

ggggggggggg
Kay-Ron, Destroyer of Worlds

Leprechaun Gold : 29241
Pineapple Power : 21476

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:09 pm

Furburt wrote:Some good stuff here indeed.

YOU LIE

I felt my sphincter clench and my scrotum contract in shock at his response.
Hubilub
Conquistador of the Useless

Leprechaun Gold : 15024
Pineapple Power : 4328
Alignment : Probiotics are Evil

Back to top Go down

Post by Timotei on Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:21 pm

Hubilub wrote:

YOU LIE
Senator Joe Wilson concurs.

Your sig annoyed me

Timotei
ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWAH!

Leprechaun Gold : 2742

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:31 pm

Hubilub wrote:

YOU LIE

Closer to "I FORGOT"

I will do that at some point. Just not now.

Tooooooo tiiiiired..

Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:46 pm

I keep trying to write a response, but I really can't come up with anything more significant than "Oh yeah, that's good", so I figure it'd be pointless.

Still, listened to all your stuff, and it's all pretty damn good.

Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by Pararaptor on Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:58 am

Furburt wrote:Well, much to my surprise, I seem to have gotten into rap music. Some rap music anyway, namely, these guys, Eric B and Rakim
I like their cover of I know you got soul. Otherwise, too bland for me.
Oh, & if you're into rap now, what do you think of Dizzee Rascal?

This song has become my before-bed glass of warm milk.

I don't really listen to any obscure stuff, there'd be no point posting up most of it. You'd all already know the tune off the top of your head.

Having said that, there's this one song that it feels like everyone I know in the flesh knows & loves, but no-one on the internet has heard of.
Pararaptor
10 Foot Tall Walking Avocado

Leprechaun Gold : 63801
Pineapple Power : 50698

http://steamcommunity.com/id/pararaptor

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:37 am

Pararaptor wrote:
Furburt wrote:Well, much to my surprise, I seem to have gotten into rap music. Some rap music anyway, namely, these guys, Eric B and Rakim
I like their cover of I know you got soul. Otherwise, too bland for me.
Oh, & if you're into rap now, what do you think of Dizzee Rascal?

Nyeh.. Not a fan. Don't really know why, I just don't like him.

Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by GrinningManiac on Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:47 pm

Fats Waller is brillaint, because he's lovable, got a good voice, can play the organ like a monster and, if you understand what he's doing on the piano, INSANELY gifted at Stride Piano Technique.

Also, he's really funny. Plus, he played for Al Capone. Read the story below

"His playing once put him at risk of injury. Waller was kidnapped in Chicago leaving a performance in 1926. Four men bundled him into a car and took him to the Hawthorne Inn, owned by gangster Al Capone. Fats was ordered inside the building, and found a party in full swing. Gun to his back, he was pushed towards a piano, and told to play. A terrified Waller realized he was the "surprise guest" at Al Capone's birthday party, and took comfort that the gangsters didn't intend to kill him. According to rumor, Waller played for three days. When he left the Hawthorne Inn, he was very drunk, extremely tired, and had earned thousands of dollars in cash from Capone and other party-goers as tips"

He died of Pnuemonia whilst touring somewhere near...Missouri...I think. When Louis Armstrong heard of Fats' death, he cried for hours. I think you all know who Louis is, right?

"This Joint is Jumpin'" is probably the first 'music video'e ever (the ones with a story whilst the music plays)

Recently I've gotten back into the Dandy Warhols. I listened to them as a kid (I mean, like, 6-7 years old) because it was music. That's the only reason. It was some pleasant noise in the background of my childhood brain.

Now I really appreciate the music and the meanings.

मैं हिन्दी जानना चाहता हूँ…અને ગુજરાતી…ਅਤੇ ਪੰਜਾਬੀ…এবং হয়ত বাংলা.
Aprenderé a bailar salsa y nada detendrá me. 对不起我的中文不好,对不起我不知道你说什么。
Не слышны в саду даже шорохи. Все здесь замерло до утра, Если б знали вы, как мне дороги, Подмосковные вечера.
The problem with having an open mind, you see, is that people insist on coming along and putting things in it
- Sir Terry Pratchett
I have a blog nao
GrinningManiac
His Grace, His Excellency, The Duke of Ankh; Commander Sir Alasdair Lawrence

Leprechaun Gold : 15123
Pineapple Power : 3009
Alignment : Morally Unperturbed Mongoose-Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Pararaptor on Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:20 am

Excuse me while I wipe the semen off the ceiling...
Pararaptor
10 Foot Tall Walking Avocado

Leprechaun Gold : 63801
Pineapple Power : 50698

http://steamcommunity.com/id/pararaptor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top