Captain Beefheart Memorial Barbeque

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Captain Beefheart Memorial Barbeque

Post by Furburt on Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:41 pm

Captain Beefheart, real name Don Van Vliet, died 3 days ago of his longstanding Multiple Sclerosis at age 69. He was one of the pioneers, along with Frank Zappa, of the so called "freak" movement, music for the seriously bizarre side of hippydom. However, his musical legacy far exceeds that. His work was a huge influence on post-punk, modern blues and avant garde music.

HIs magnum opus, along with his band, The Magic Band, is considered to be Trout Mask Replica, a double album featuring just about every musical style you can think of thrown into a big bag and shaken roughly.

The Captain's great talent though (Aside from his incredibly powerful singing voice), was the ease at which he flicked between genre's. Listening to the weirdness above, one would be hard pressed to imagine the same band playing smooth soul music, or hard blues.

So yeah.

He wasn't the easiest person to work with, apparently treating his band more like a cult than anything else, but it resulted in some truly amazing music. After a mid 70's dip recording two albums he would later disown they were so terrible, he returned in the late 70's and early 80's with 3 more acclaimed albums. He retired from music soon after and took up his other hobby of painting. He contracted multiple sclerosis sometime in the 90's, and spent the rest of his life living a quiet existence in the Mojave Wasteland desert. His passing is mourned by all.

Now let's groove.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
This device will make me famous
This device will make me fly
This device will make me holy
This device defies all laws

Laws that are stupid, and make no sense.

Big Black, Newman Generator

The New Adventures of Momo Murphy
Furburt
Arrested For Copying Dogs

Leprechaun Gold : 71847
Pineapple Power : 42707
Alignment : The Clan MacGinty, the Clan Nangle, The Clan O'Neill and the Clan Moriarty

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Furburt

Back to top Go down

Re: Captain Beefheart Memorial Barbeque

Post by MilkyFresh on Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:17 pm

I did groove, I definitely did. I've been meaning to pick up Trout Mask Replica or Safe As Milk next time I'm in a record store that doesn't sell exclusively AC/DC, but until then I've got ripped youtube-audio to rock out to.

RIP Mr. Beefheart.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
WHY MONKEY, WHY?
No one loves a prick,
No one loves a coffee sniffing motherfucker.
MilkyFresh
Wizard of Piss

Leprechaun Gold : 38651
Pineapple Power : 22738
Alignment : Arseheart

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top