Let's Play CK2: The Old Gods: The Hungarian Kingdom of Egypt

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Let's Play CK2: The Old Gods: The Hungarian Kingdom of Egypt

Post by GrinningManiac on Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:10 pm

Okay so this is where I'll post my CK2 ramblings from here on out. Feel free to add your own stuff - this is not a only-I-talk-about-CK2 thread.

I'll give you the lowdown on what's happening so far.

Hungary was formed roundabout exactly when The Old Gods (hereon out TOG) starts and this is represented in-game by the nation of Magyar being at war with the Kingdom of Bulgaria with a random army of 20000 people in addition to normal levies and an ability to "create Kingdom of Hungary" upon capturing the Duchy of Pest (central Hungary modern-day terms). This will cause the player/AI to lose control of the Magyar starting lands, gain like a million extra random troops and 1000 prestige and 1000 gold. This is usually where this ends, with the extra troops being used to rapidly expand Hungary's borders and become a central European superpower.

Not so with me.

They guy I start out as, I think his name is Álsmo or something (he's historical) died almost instantly in a bad-luck beheading in my only battle with the outnumbered Bulgarians. His son, Árpad of house Árpad, takes over. He establishes the bare-bones territory of Hungary and becomes king. Instead of playing in boring old Carpathia I take the massive free armies and use my pagan ability to randomly invade places to randomly invade the sultanate of Egypt. I blitz through the Byzantine Empire and the Middle East (in retrospect I should have turned my armies onto "looting" mode so I randomly antagonised nations I passed through by stealing gold from them) and take Egypt. I now have a bunch of Farbids or whatever (Muslim dukes) who hate me and form an Independence League. I remind you I have a superarmy of 40000 people or something and have the largest land force on earth. I crush them. 

I am innundated with Mepyhistic, Catholic and Sunni preachers. I let in the Sunnis because these people are my neighbours and subjects and whilst I have a super-army I don't want to war with the Arabian Caliphate just yet. I capture, ransom and release the other preachers every time they send them (which, for the Catholics, is nearly every month).

Gradually my Sunni subjects come to respect me and I elevate them to great positions of power - alongside my faithful Hungarian Tengri who I give random titles all over the shop - majoritively to the east. Soon my wholly-Tengri council is half-Tengri half-Sunni and my kids are getting tutored by Tengri and Sunni nobility depending on whether their gavelkind inheretence will have them ruling Hungary or the sultanate.

I form the Kingdom of Eygpt and celebrate by de jure claiming the western provinces still owned by the old Egyptian Sultan - now Sultan of Libya, I guess. I also conquer the nation of Nubia because why not. Pagans suffer prestige rot if they don't war occasionally so I need it.

My heir to the Kingdom of Egypt is now a nice young Sunni and my heir to the Hungarian throne is a stout Tengri. They keep scheming for each other's thrones but so long as I can keep them away from each other until Árpad's death it'll be fine because they will be Scandinavian Miles away from each other as Kings. Neither seems bright enough to realise that ruling Egypt and Hungary is a logistical nightmare. I myself have been ignoring Hungary and granting rebellious dukes independence without a second thought. To hell with Hungary - I only conquered it because the game makes it practically vital that you do. I would have preferred "The Hungarians can create Kingdom of X wherever they settle" so I could have had a Hungarian Poland or a Hungarian Georgia or something. Whatever. This workaround shall suffice.

The Caliph of the Sunni Religion and Emperor of Arabia decided to DOW me whilst I was busy subjugating northern Abyssinia. I managed to turn my armies around and invade his lands before he'd even gotten near my border. I butcher his massive armies in a series of battles that grind down my forces and pull me from 1st to 4th in army size - behind Arabia. However I have 80% warscore (i.e. the war is 80% in my favour) and he sues for peace. I'm hoping to replenish my armies before he tries again or, failing that, either conquer him, support a rival, marry into his family or bend the knee. 

Abyssina was conquered no trouble. I'm thinking of pushing down into Ethiopia. I gave the old Nubian king his lands as a Farbid so he likes me. 

It's all going to go to hell when Árpad dies but his son is Sunni so hopefully that's a feather in my cap.

That's you up to speed - I'll post with more details and sense of narrative hereon out.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
मैं हिन्दी जानना चाहता हूँ…અને ગુજરાતી…ਅਤੇ ਪੰਜਾਬੀ…এবং হয়ত বাংলা.
Aprenderé a bailar salsa y nada detendrá me. 对不起我的中文不好,对不起我不知道你说什么。
Не слышны в саду даже шорохи. Все здесь замерло до утра, Если б знали вы, как мне дороги, Подмосковные вечера.
The problem with having an open mind, you see, is that people insist on coming along and putting things in it
- Sir Terry Pratchett
I have a blog nao
GrinningManiac
His Grace, His Excellency, The Duke of Ankh; Commander Sir Alasdair Lawrence

Leprechaun Gold : 15099
Pineapple Power : 3009
Alignment : Morally Unperturbed Mongoose-Man

Back to top Go down

Re: Let's Play CK2: The Old Gods: The Hungarian Kingdom of Egypt

Post by GrinningManiac on Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:56 pm

So the long and short of it is that I restarted because I had given away all my counties to appease my vassals but this left me with less power than them so it was a lose-lose situation that could not sustaion itself beyond Árpád, hence the impossible war.

This time round everything's the same except I have control of all East Egypt. 

Plus the terrifying Arabic Empire (Abbasid dynasty) was absorbed by  the equally-large Hashasid dynasty. Why is this good? The Abbasids had a claim on Egypt. The Hashasids do not. Plus they're torn apart by internal warring so I'm safe on that front.

My half-brothers murdered each other for the duchy of Transylvania. Árpád has I think four or five sons by three wives. The first two -Liuntika and Tarkatzus - started at the beginning of the game. They're historical characters and their mothers are unknown. The history is vague and it's possible Liuntika was actually Árpád's brother not his son. Whatever.

I also had a son Álmos and a son called Kálmán. 

I gave Tarkatzus the duchy of Pest after my half-brother murdered my half-brother over it. Tarkatzus tries to rebel and claim the duchy of Transylvania. I crush his ducal army and imprison him. Henceforth his name is Tarkatzus the Traitor or Rebel Tarkatzus and his line is forfeit. 

Meanwhile Álmos, my third son, realises that Linutika is totally my heir and he's not gonna earn a thing hanging around. So he declares himself an adventurer and leads a host into the Bulgarian frontier to claim Slovenia. I help him out and he becomes Álmos the Conqueror, Petty King of Slovenia.

As a Sunni Muslim my succession is "Turkish" or Open. This means that my most powerful son becomes king. As Álmos has just freaking founded a nation he's now my heir. Smart boy. He'll go far, I hope.

My king is 2 or 3 over his demesne (for those not in the know - you have a limit to how many titles you can personally own as opposed to delegating to a vassal. This is determined by a base rate, technology unlocks and how arse-kickingly badass your king is). I'm keeping him over the limit because he's badass enough to survive the opinion penalty and because I don't want my vassals to become too large - the western Houron Emirate constantly conquers my other dukes AND is gobbling up lands westward and I am NOT letting him getting overpowerful. I will burn Cairo to the ground before he sits on the throne of Egypt.

Here's a suitably badass statue of Árpád son of Álmos King of Egypt

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Не слышны в саду даже шорохи. Все здесь замерло до утра, Если б знали вы, как мне дороги, Подмосковные вечера.
The problem with having an open mind, you see, is that people insist on coming along and putting things in it
- Sir Terry Pratchett
I have a blog nao
GrinningManiac

Back to top Go down

Post by GrinningManiac on Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:14 pm

Allah be merciful, King Árpád of House Árpád passed away after a long period of the Slow Fever (Typhoid). In his last few years the King had been infirm of mind and incapable of thought. 

He is succeeded by his son, by the grace of Allah in highest, King Álmos the Conqueror, the Scourge of Slavonia. 

King Álmos' brother Linutika immediately declares war with the intent to claim the throne of Egypt. He is joined by several of his half-brothers, the Emirs of Aswan and Huoron and several lesser nobles.

Álmos is a warrior by nature and a cruel man at heart. The civil war is crushed and rises three times. By the 3rd Succession Crisis Linutika has been executed and the Emir of Aswan is languishing in a torture chamber. Álmos does not know mercy.

Álmos has spent the first few years of his reign seizing lands from traitors and battling it out with rebellious princes who think they can take on the might of the King of Egypt. All learn their folly.

Álmos also begins building cities in his home county of Sinai - the population of which has now converted to Hungarian culture and speak the Magyar language. All is well.

Álmos is not a holy man. Though he makes the Hajj and pays lip service to Allah the King of All he is a cruel, vengeful spirit and it is not long before nearly all of Egypt has at one point or another enjoyed the inside of one of his dungeon cells. 

An independence league is brewing in the Carpathians. The king has no lands in Europe personally and would be hard pressed to rebuff an attack on Pest. However the conspirators fear him greatly. This is good.

The Emir of Huoron is deposed and when he dies his lands default to the King, who gives it to his son, Attila.

Álmos had three sons (so far) - Attila, Arnat and Czak. Arnat, a brilliant young mind born with a crooked spine, dies mysteroiusly in the night. Attila becomes heir afterwards, curiously. Czak is an oaf - hanging around the palace building up decadence for Álmos' dynasty. 

Decadence is a gameplay mechanic for Muslim leaders simulating the tendency for Muslim royalty to become decadent - hanging around beautiful palaces reading poetry and getting fat. The more unlanded relatives you have the more they become decadent - this causes a percentage meter to rise. Decadence affects the tax and moral of your lands and the higher it gets the more it becomes likely that a revolution against the "fat cats in their fancy houses" will kick up. Mine was rising at 68% before I beheaded my decadent brothers (as a Muslim I can arrest and execute relatives (not my own children) with impunity) and gave land to my squabbling sons. Giving land to sons was something Árpád loathed - it made them independent-minded and quarrelsome. But Álmos realises the nessecity of giving his children something to do lest the dynasty grow self-destructive.

- Sir Terry Pratchett
I have a blog nao
GrinningManiac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down