General Gaming Discussion Thread VI - My Bones are Parsley Now

Page 12 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: General Gaming Discussion Thread VI - My Bones are Parsley Now

Post by Komrade Kharloth on Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:19 pm

Anyone ever play Wargame: European Escalation? How is it?

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Μολών λαβέ

Komrade Kharloth
God's Hero-man

Leprechaun Gold : 14529
Pineapple Power : 1892
Alignment : Orthodox

Back to top Go down

Post by GrinningManiac on Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:24 pm

I feel bad for cutting across Kharl's opening of a topic there so I'll be brief

I started a game as pagan Songhay and almost immediately Islamified. My dude had eleven sons and three daughters and for some reason the heir ended up working as the Marshal of a duke of neighbouring,enemy Mali (née Ghana) so that was weird. Mali wipes the floor with me in thirty years, so I play again as Ghana and even then only barely manage to subjugate Songhay and then I get into a long war trying to tear the actual control of the provinces from the now subjugated king of Songhay now my duke. Meanwhile a province rebels and I'm so torn between two wars that the province "wins" and now I have a neighbouring enemy province.

I enjoyed Songhay but I seem to have a knack, as with Bulgaria, in getting really into countries that neighbour other states that are aggressive and completely and incomparably eclipse me in army size.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
मैं हिन्दी जानना चाहता हूँ…અને ગુજરાતી…ਅਤੇ ਪੰਜਾਬੀ…এবং হয়ত বাংলা.
Aprenderé a bailar salsa y nada detendrá me. 对不起我的中文不好,对不起我不知道你说什么。
Не слышны в саду даже шорохи. Все здесь замерло до утра, Если б знали вы, как мне дороги, Подмосковные вечера.
The problem with having an open mind, you see, is that people insist on coming along and putting things in it
- Sir Terry Pratchett
I have a blog nao
GrinningManiac
His Grace, His Excellency, The Duke of Ankh; Commander Sir Alasdair Lawrence

Leprechaun Gold : 15099
Pineapple Power : 3009
Alignment : Morally Unperturbed Mongoose-Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Pararaptor on Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:40 am

Dishonored is turning out pretty fun. It feels like Bethesda's take on Bioshock with stealth.
Pararaptor
10 Foot Tall Walking Avocado

Leprechaun Gold : 63777
Pineapple Power : 50698

http://steamcommunity.com/id/pararaptor

Back to top Go down

Post by Komrade Kharloth on Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:57 am

GrinningManiac wrote:I feel bad for cutting across Kharl's opening of a topic there so I'll be brief

I started a game as pagan Songhay and almost immediately Islamified. My dude had eleven sons and three daughters and for some reason the heir ended up working as the Marshal of a duke of neighbouring,enemy Mali (née Ghana) so that was weird. Mali wipes the floor with me in thirty years, so I play again as Ghana and even then only barely manage to subjugate Songhay and then I get into a long war trying to tear the actual control of the provinces from the now subjugated king of Songhay now my duke. Meanwhile a province rebels and I'm so torn between two wars that the province "wins" and now I have a neighbouring enemy province.

I enjoyed Songhay but I seem to have a knack, as with Bulgaria, in getting really into countries that neighbour other states that are aggressive and completely and incomparably eclipse me in army size.
Being Georgia is suffering.

Μολών λαβέ

Komrade Kharloth
God's Hero-man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:12 am

Asura's Wrath was probably one of my favorite games of 2012

I felt my sphincter clench and my scrotum contract in shock at his response.
Hubilub
Conquistador of the Useless

Leprechaun Gold : 14970
Pineapple Power : 4328
Alignment : Probiotics are Evil

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:41 am

It's basically the Japanese going "You know what Hinduism needs? Dragonball Z"

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by LordCuthberton on Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:31 pm

Pararaptor wrote:Dishonored is turning out pretty fun. It feels like Bethesda's take on Bioshock with stealth.
Very good way to put it.

The best part of the game is any level where they give you a big fancy complex/mansion and numerous way's to break in. Which is great because that's like 7/9 levels in the game!

He that climbs the highest has the greatest fall.

PRAISE THE SUN
LordCuthberton
"Aha, I am also an assassin"

Leprechaun Gold : -2147472459
Pineapple Power : 1990

https://www.facebook.com/100PercentWinner

Back to top Go down

Post by GrinningManiac on Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:00 pm

So I decided to have a bit of fun

I played as the Magyars (the semi-landless founders of Hungary) who start in Crimea. They have a war already started against Bulgaria who owns the lands forming Hungary-to-be and they have a random "special event" unit of like 20,000 men for instant winning. A bit OP and railroading but whatever. I decide to defy them.

I crush Bulgaria and form Hungary - only because it frees me of my rebellious Crimean lands (which instantly independent-ify when you create Hungary) and because it gives you even MORE random non-levy units.

So I declare war on the Sultanate of Egypt and march across Anatolia, wipe the floor with them, take the Sultanate, battle off a league of angry Sunni dukes who want independence and now I'm the King of Egypt (my primary title) with a host of Sunni Hungarian Egyptian noblemen including my heir. When my current Tengri-worshipping badass dies I'm going to have a kingdom of Sunni Hungarians inhereted by my firstborn and a kingdom of Tengri Hungarians inhereted by my second son. Plus I conquered Nubia and half of Assyria and I plan to conquer the whole horn and creat Greater Egypt. I may even mod in that very title.

I also fought off the Arabian Empire which was awesome (WHILST conquering the Abyssinian King and two peasant revolts at the same time)

My current King, King Árpad Árpad the Great of house Árpad (that name was not my doing, I assure you) has 4000 prestige and 2000 gold. 

My only fear is that if I become Muslim my title will no longer be King of Egypt but rather Sultan of Egypt or Sultan of Alabhagia as it was called before (or something like that) which is infinitely less cool-sounding.

Не слышны в саду даже шорохи. Все здесь замерло до утра, Если б знали вы, как мне дороги, Подмосковные вечера.
The problem with having an open mind, you see, is that people insist on coming along and putting things in it
- Sir Terry Pratchett
I have a blog nao
GrinningManiac

Back to top Go down

Post by MilkyFresh on Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:11 am

If video games are art then wrestling is theatre. Just a thought.

WHY MONKEY, WHY?
No one loves a prick,
No one loves a coffee sniffing motherfucker.
MilkyFresh
Wizard of Piss

Leprechaun Gold : 38680
Pineapple Power : 22738
Alignment : Arseheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sassafrassy on Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:20 pm

Pararaptor wrote:I'm kinda tempted to get Payday 2, has anyone played it?
I've got it on PC, been having some issues with it. Random crashes, still in the middle of trying to work out why it's crashing and it always crashes straight away on a certain mission. It's a fun game when it works for more than 15 minutes but at the moment, it's a bit too unstable (At least for me) to say go and get it.

I'm doing what anybody with a midget would do, taping him to a skateboard and seeing how far I can throw him.

Good times.
Sassafrassy
Father of Everything

Leprechaun Gold : 5480
Pineapple Power : 314
Location : In a cupboard. No, seriously I'm actually in a cupboard. I hate this house.

https://twitter.com/WorstReplyOfDay

Back to top Go down

Post by LordCuthberton on Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:37 pm

Played about 9 hours of Payday 2 today. Really good fun. Left 4 Crime Which is a cracking formula.

When it's exciting and entertaining with random players, I imagine it to be tons more fun with friends. There are some cracks and rusty joints, but it doesn't detract from the bread and butter for me.

PRAISE THE SUN
LordCuthberton

Back to top Go down

Post by owyn_merrilin on Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:29 am

I installed Saints Row 2 recently and both I and my sister have been playing the hell out of it. I can't believe I've been missing out on the awesomeness that is the GTA-derived branch of sandbox games for all this time, especially considering how many of my favorite games are either Sid Meier's Pirates! or TES derived sandboxes.

Also I've been playing a lot of Dragon Quest, started when I picked my copy of 4 on the DS back up after ignoring it for years, and I'm now playing both that and the Gameboy Color remake of the first one on my phone. The GBC remakes of the first three were probably a bigger part of my childhood than the Pokemon games were, although the other stuff that went with them may be another story. Seems like I had good taste in JRPGs even then. Well either that, or it just hasn't changed much.

Helps that Pokemon is basically just Dragon Quest with the human party members aside from the silent hero totally replaced by monsters, and the hero dropped from combat. DQV on even had limited monster training elements, kind of like the ones in Final Fantasy Tactics, from what I understand.

Edit: Just realized that might have come off wrong. I'm not saying "Pokemon copied Dragon Quest, therefore Pokemon is inferior." It's more "Pokemon copied Dragon Quest, therefore Dragon Quest must have done something right."
owyn_merrilin
Sexy Murder Victim

Leprechaun Gold : 6980
Pineapple Power : 907
Alignment : Chaotic Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:43 am

Don't play 3 and 4. God they are awful.

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by owyn_merrilin on Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:01 am

I'll still give 3 a shot, but it's because I've already got the complete pack, because Humble Bundles kick major ass. 4 (and likely 3) is out of the question for me at the moment, because my laptop is ancient. I'll probably get it on a Steam sale in a few years, though, for the heck of it.
owyn_merrilin
Sexy Murder Victim

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:17 am

The terribleness of 3 starts of slowly, but it's definitely an unpleasant experience by the end of the game. It goes from having the precise right balance of seriousness and silliness to being extremely try-hard and unimpressive. Also they kill Johnny Gat in the tutorial level.

NOOOOOOO

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by owyn_merrilin on Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:33 am

Does Carlos make it at least? I picked the Latino male voice, and the way the actor says the name actually makes Carlos's name cooler than Johnny Gat's. Although I guess Johnny is still cooler as a character.
owyn_merrilin
Sexy Murder Victim

Back to top Go down

Post by owyn_merrilin on Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:34 am

Incidentally, I am really bad at character creators. Everytime I get one with full size and shape controls for the face, I try to make it look like me, but the more control I have the further off I get. Especially the nose I tend to make too bulbous, which in the case of this game means I'm playing as Al Capone with a Spanish accent and a beard.
owyn_merrilin
Sexy Murder Victim

Back to top Go down

Post by Xandy on Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:56 am

4 looks like it'll be fun.

Wu-Tang is for the children!
Xandy
Halfblood Prince of Persia

Leprechaun Gold : 24634
Pineapple Power : 1164
Alignment : Chaotic Faggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:13 am

I'll admit that 90% of the reason I dislike 3 and 4 is because they replaced the British voice actor. In 2 he's amazing. In 3 and 4 he's voiced by that guy who voiced Travis Touchdown and the Irishman in The Saboteur. He does not have a cool British accent.

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by owyn_merrilin on Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:22 am

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

You guys might want to check out the current Humble Weekly Bundle. It's Paradox Interactive this time, and include a lot of their biggest games.
owyn_merrilin
Sexy Murder Victim

Back to top Go down

Post by owyn_merrilin on Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:23 am

Edit: Double Post, Internet Derped
owyn_merrilin
Sexy Murder Victim

Back to top Go down

Post by Xandy on Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:36 am

Started to get some real momentum going in Brytenwalda. Managed to take both Oxford from the Irish and London from the Saxons, got an ancient Roman blade from an old man living at Hadrian's Wall and made Caer Went, my main city, the richest in all of Britannia.

Now I'm leading a mass invasion across the sea into Ireland since we have fuckall enemies to fight on the mainland. Everything is going swell, but I'm getting worried about internal politics. My King seems to be favouring some random Briton cunt called Gueldic Gwad map Fag or some gay shit and giving him every other fief I conquer, including Oxford. Even though I carry this entire fucking empire on my own and I've never even seen him fighting out in the field.

I want to rebel really bad and kick my idiot King off his throne, but I really don't know how to go about doing that safe. I could convince one or two lords to join me if I rebelled, but even then the King's army alone could crush any resistance I might put up.

Also the O'Niells are terrifying me. I go over to Oxford to sell some salt for mead and by the time I get back they've got territory in Wales. We've got good relations, but they're right across the border from us and are chomping down on land with a mad hunger. They've already taken Lichfield from Mercia!

Xandy

Back to top Go down

Post by GrinningManiac on Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:49 pm

Sweet. I'll hazard a guess that Caer Went is located in Gwent. Could be wrong.

So, Sims 4 is a thing.

I have no idea why but the Sims franchise will always appeal to me - even though I've never successfully carried a single family beyond the initial generation. 

This time will be different.

Mind you I said that every year since 2000 so whaddya know. Sometimes I said it twice a year if the expansion packs were in short succession.

- Sir Terry Pratchett
I have a blog nao
GrinningManiac

Back to top Go down

Post by Komrade Kharloth on Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:58 pm

12 hours.

Μολών λαβέ

Komrade Kharloth
God's Hero-man

Back to top Go down

Post by GrinningManiac on Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:05 am

HNNNNGH I WANT IT

- Sir Terry Pratchett
I have a blog nao
GrinningManiac

Back to top Go down

Post by Komrade Kharloth on Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:51 am

Apparently it's kind of a flop.

Μολών λαβέ

Komrade Kharloth
God's Hero-man

Back to top Go down

Post by Xandy on Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:56 am

I'm guessing focus on combat action and casualized strategy elements?

Xandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Xandy on Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:14 am

Been trying to come up with a way to rebel successfully in Brytenwalda.

My current plan is to declare war on as many factions as possible, then send any lords I dislike on suicide missions into the Caledonian highlands and Ulster. Then I'll rebel as soon as my King doesn't give me a fief I conquered. Then I won't have to worry about military retaliation since they're going to be busy fighting every fucking faction.

Xandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:42 am

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/09/03/the-rps-verdict-total-war-rome-ii/

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by Komrade Kharloth on Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:42 pm

Xandy wrote:I'm guessing focus on combat action and casualized strategy elements?
Sort of, many people feel like it was a step back from Shogun 2 (which felt like a step back from Medieval 2 for me) and had the same problem as Empire on release, in that it was unfinished on release in both terms of content and bugs.

Even though I'm a huge fan of the series I'm not going to be buying it anytime soon, hopefully future patches make it more playable. My biggest gripe with the series since Empire is a lack of mod support compared to Medieval 2 and Rome.

Μολών λαβέ

Komrade Kharloth
God's Hero-man

Back to top Go down

Post by GrinningManiac on Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:58 pm

I knew it was a good idea not to buy it. I told myself it would be rubbish on release. Thank god I didn't succumb to desire.

Yeah the fact that the AI has not improved much beyond Rome makes every subsequent release feel less and less progressive - all that's changing is the graphics.

- Sir Terry Pratchett
I have a blog nao
GrinningManiac

Back to top Go down

Post by owyn_merrilin on Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:32 am

Playing the original Dark Forces, because I got cockblocked on BF2 the other night by internet issues (I'm gonna have to call the cable company, I'm getting massive latency all the time, half or less of advertised speeds all the time, and sub-dialup speeds at night) and I figured this was close enough. Every time I go back and play one of these late gen raycaster FPS games, I'm just totally amazed by the level design. Dark Forces and especially Duke Nukem 3D should be something that all prospective game designers are forced to play. Especially Duke 3D, because Dark Forces has a few obnoxious jumping segments in it, although the levels without them are ace.

Also, everyone who plays old PC games should get set up with both Munt (a Roland MT-32 emulator) and a decent software synth with a good soundfont. If you only ever played these games with Soundblaster sound, you haven't heard the soundtracks in all their glory. And they are glorious. It's like the difference between the sounchips on the NES and the SNES.
owyn_merrilin
Sexy Murder Victim

Back to top Go down

Post by Xandy on Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:43 am

So Outlast turned out to be a boring, disappointing turd.

Xandy

Back to top Go down

Post by GrinningManiac on Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:15 pm

So Empire Total War is really good now it's had a few years of patches and the modders have ripped it open. Plus my laptop can run it now since it's graphically ancient. 

I'm playing Darthmod which fixes the AI massively and it also adds a bunch of things like smoke and sound effects to battle. The sound of PROPER muskets going off is just orgasmic.

- Sir Terry Pratchett
I have a blog nao
GrinningManiac

Back to top Go down

Post by Xandy on Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:11 pm

>playing Brytenwalda
>Ri Cuntcock map Gayass denies me the fief of London

Xandy

Back to top Go down

Post by ggggggggggg on Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:50 pm

Holy shit Flying Lotus has his own radio station in GTA V that's fucking class.

Now I can be a hipster and say I liked him before he was cool!

ggggggggggg
Kay-Ron, Destroyer of Worlds

Leprechaun Gold : 29217
Pineapple Power : 21476

Back to top Go down

Post by LordCuthberton on Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:23 pm

So you know I use a Dell Inspiron? With Intel Intergrated which means I struggle running Minesweeper?

Well while on the sauce last night I spent £555 on an Alienware M17X. Still not sure why.

Also, my loan isn't in and I can't afford rent til it's in. Had a very tense phonecall with my landlord.

BUT VIDEO GAMES

PRAISE THE SUN
LordCuthberton

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:08 pm

3 months later and I'm now at 50% download for hitman absolution.

Back to top Go down

Post by Xandy on Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:24 am

My 8-year old cousin was visiting over for the day and wanted to play some games. Only "kid friendly" game I own is Madden, so I popped that in for him. Then I went for a half-hour walk.

When I got back, he was playing Metal Gear Rising. He was also doing really fucking good. He was playing on normal and did perfect Zandatsu's on almost every enemy in the first chapter.

He also skipped all the cutscenes because there was too much talking, and asked for help during the Bladewolf fight so I could show him how to parry.

Xandy

Back to top Go down

Post by LordCuthberton on Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:43 am

My like, 12/13 year old brother has a copy of GTA5 and is pretty far in it.

I remember when I was that age and my parents seized my Vice City copy because of Trevor McDonald. Goddamnit, why am I so jealous?

PRAISE THE SUN
LordCuthberton

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12