In Hoc Signo Vinces

View previous topic View next topic Go down

In Hoc Signo Vinces

Post by Komrade Kharloth on Thu May 02, 2013 1:42 pm

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES
A Let's Play of Medieval 2: Total War
Chapter 1: Strangers in a Strange land
Jerusalem, a city of faith and fire, of trade and commerce, of glory and prestige and the most coveted prize in the world.

And since we arrived, a city of bloodshed and war.

We are Crusaders and the year is 1100. 5 years ago, Pope Urban II decreed that faithful Christians should take up arms and march into the ancient lands of the Levant to liberate the holiest of cities from the hands of the Muslim heathen. For too long we had suffered their attacks and drive to dominate Christian Europe, from the overthrow of Christian kingdoms long dead in Egypt and Syria, to the constant offensives against the Orthodox Byzantines, and let us not forget the Moor slavers conquest of half of Spain and invasions into France. It was time we took the fight to the heart of Islam and bring the great Christian and Muslim worlds against one another.

By this decree, thousands of nobles and peasants alike took up the cross, left behind their lives in Europe and sought to be reborn anew by a holy Crusade in defense of Christendom, and against all odds we succeeded. The armies of the heathen were smashed, the ancient cities were brought back into the fold once more after centuries of being cast into the dark and the great Islamic empires humiliated and humbled by this small band of the faithful.

But it's not over, while we have won the initial battle, there are many more to come. We are a beacon of light alone in a sea of Islam, our economy is weak and our holdings few. We are hated by our neighbours and our allies are far away, but we will endure.

Our sole holding in the south is Jerusalem, surrounded on all sides either by the Egyptian Fatamids or independent Muslim lords with no holdings beyond a single city or town, our greatest prize is our most vulnerable. At the moment we are at a tense peace with the Egyptians, and our treaties with them are expiring soon.

To the north, we hold the city of Antioch and the Armenian town of Edessa. Further north are the Seljuik Turks, horselords from the steppes and barbarians even by Muslim standards. We've no quarrel with them at the moment, but the Turk is ever hungry for more land and I've no doubt they will seek to snatch what precious little cities we have the moment we go to war with Egypt.

Our situation is grim, the future is doubtful. But let he heavens open and the storm come, we've shown that odds mean nothing before and we will do so again. We will either emerge triumphant or perish with a roar of defiance on our lips.

Deus Vult!

Last edited by Komrade Kharloth on Wed May 29, 2013 1:54 am; edited 1 time in total

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Μολών λαβέ

Komrade Kharloth
God's Hero-man

Leprechaun Gold : 14494
Pineapple Power : 1892
Alignment : Orthodox

Back to top Go down

Re: In Hoc Signo Vinces

Post by Xandy on Thu May 02, 2013 4:14 pm

Kill as many Venetians as possible as soon as possible.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Wu-Tang is for the children!
Xandy
Halfblood Prince of Persia

Leprechaun Gold : 24599
Pineapple Power : 1164
Alignment : Chaotic Faggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Komrade Kharloth on Thu May 02, 2013 10:29 pm

Chapter 2: Calm before the Storm

Our first action is to begin constructing the basics of an economy, I order the building of markets in all the cities I control. Though what we need is soldiers more than anything, we lack the funds to recruit any new troops or begin construction of basic training facilities.

In addition we also secure trade agreements with the Fatimids and Turks, though they are our eternal enemies we are in dire need of commerce.

Our military is in a pitiful state, we have several veteran units left over from the crusades that form the bulk of our army, but we cannot replenish any losses they may suffer, at the moment all we have available is as follows

Troop overview:
Spoiler:

The only unit that's plentiful and available in all cities at the moment are our Marinae, sailors from the Italian city states recruited into service. Though unarmored and wielding only crude clubs, a hard life at sea has made them surprisingly capable at caving in Muslim skulls.

Next on the totem pole are our Syrian auxiliaries, native Christians eager to have vengeance upon the Egyptians for generations of mistreatment and oppression. Their courage is admirable but they're not professional soldiers and cannot be relied on to hold the line against overwhelming odds.

Finally we have the Canons of the Holy Sepluchre, guardians of the Church that stands upon the hill where Christ was crucified. They are fierce warriors, packing heavy armor, a fanatical zeal and powerful two handed swords, they vastly outclass any infantry the Muslims can currently throw at us in combat. Unfortunately we only have a single unit of them at the present time.

Our King is Baudoin the First, brother of Godfrey, the first king of Jerusalem. He's the epitome of what it means to be a Crusader, skilled in battle, honorable as a knight should be and as pious as the pope.

The council of nobles has given us the task of taking the fort of Kerak, controlled by an independent Muslim warlord of little note. It's a smart choice, we lack any military bases of ourselves and Kerak will serve as a first step on the road to building a force capable of taking the fight to Egyptians.

King Baudouin lays siege to the for and constructs a ram and two siege towers for breaching the walls, and we assault the fort!

The Battle of Kerak:
Spoiler:

We choose to attack in the middle of a rainstorm, the wind will severely impact the accuracy of the enemy archers and the rain will douse the flaming arrows they use to target our siege equipment. I decide to send the sailors and syrians as the first wave to absorb the brunt of the enemies' arrow fire.

My hopes of having the storm largely negate the enemy archers are dashed as one of my towers catches fire as the muslims pour flaming arrows into it at point blank range. But we lose no units and our ram and other tower make it to the walls unscathed.

As the Syrians reach the gate, the Muslim spearmen charge to attack them. Not wanting to waste this opportunity I have the Syrians counter charge to keeps the gates open until my heavy infantry can arrive.

They flee as soon as they see the Crusaders charging up the hill, and my men pour through the gates as their archers continue to rain fire on us from above.

The syrians climb the stairs and meet the archers on the wall, and we see how effective bows are against battle axes as my men hack their way through them,

On the far side of the wall, a unit of camel calvary sits idle, I move my veteran armored sergeants to engage them and the King to their rear.

My spears could win this battle alone, calvary fighting spearmen head on is suicidal.

My heavy horse slams their rear and their unit is all but wiped out, only a single man escapes the slaughter.

At the gates, the muslim rebels have rallied another unit of archers to assist their faltering brethern, turning the tide against the syrians.

I send in the Canons and they cut a crimson swathe through the enemy, the sight of these men fills them with terror and they attempt to flee to safety through my massed ranks of swordsmen. It went about as well as you'd expect.

Meanwhile the King clashes with another unit of camel calvary, smashing them to pieces and sending them fleeing back to the town square.

A nearby unit of archers has remained hidden from my sight, flinging arrows at my sailors. The King fresh from two victories charges and devastates the unit.

We pile into the town square, where the unit of spearmen from the beginning fled to along with a handful of survivors from other units. Flanked on all sides by superior troops, they don't last long.

A clear victory! Most of our losses came from the syrians and Sailors, losses we can easily replace.

The fort is sacked, more to keep dissent down and spread fear than for any sort of monetary gain.

Last edited by Komrade Kharloth on Wed May 29, 2013 1:57 am; edited 1 time in total

Μολών λαβέ

Komrade Kharloth
God's Hero-man

Back to top Go down

Post by Xandy on Thu May 02, 2013 11:35 pm

Remember to use scorched-earth tactics (demolishing all buildings) if you think you're going to lose a settlement!

Xandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Komrade Kharloth on Fri May 03, 2013 4:17 am

So, are folks interested in seeing moar? I hope to make this a somewhat lengthy Let's Play and would like to have you fine people participate in my campaigning.

Last edited by Komrade Kharloth on Fri May 03, 2013 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Μολών λαβέ

Komrade Kharloth
God's Hero-man

Back to top Go down

Post by MilkyFresh on Fri May 03, 2013 7:17 am

Betray everybody

WHY MONKEY, WHY?
No one loves a prick,
No one loves a coffee sniffing motherfucker.
MilkyFresh
Wizard of Piss

Leprechaun Gold : 38645
Pineapple Power : 22738
Alignment : Arseheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Xandy on Fri May 03, 2013 11:36 am

Yeees.

Xandy

Back to top Go down

Post by GrinningManiac on Sat May 04, 2013 1:12 pm

awww sheeeet yeeeaaahh stainless steeeeeeeeel

मैं हिन्दी जानना चाहता हूँ…અને ગુજરાતી…ਅਤੇ ਪੰਜਾਬੀ…এবং হয়ত বাংলা.
Aprenderé a bailar salsa y nada detendrá me. 对不起我的中文不好,对不起我不知道你说什么。
Не слышны в саду даже шорохи. Все здесь замерло до утра, Если б знали вы, как мне дороги, Подмосковные вечера.
The problem with having an open mind, you see, is that people insist on coming along and putting things in it
- Sir Terry Pratchett
I have a blog nao
GrinningManiac
His Grace, His Excellency, The Duke of Ankh; Commander Sir Alasdair Lawrence

Leprechaun Gold : 15064
Pineapple Power : 3009
Alignment : Morally Unperturbed Mongoose-Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat May 04, 2013 3:40 pm

Voting to genocide as many Fatamids as possible. Those sandle-wearing, triangle loving fucks have it coming.

Back to top Go down

Post by Komrade Kharloth on Thu May 09, 2013 10:48 pm

Sorry about the lack of updates, but I'll have a new one on Sunday/Monday, I've been visiting family and don't have the save file with me.

In the meantime, I'll be dumping some Crusader related music.

Μολών λαβέ

Komrade Kharloth
God's Hero-man

Back to top Go down

Post by Komrade Kharloth on Tue May 21, 2013 11:42 pm

Chapter 3: The Inevitable

Sorry about the long hiatus.

The capture of the fort of Kerak is a major boon to our fledgling kingdom, with the necessary upgrades it will serve as a first step on the road to building a capable military.

We also organize the construction of facilities for permanent chapters of Crusading Orders. It has been decided that the Templars will be based in Jerusalem and Kerak to act as a vanguard against the Egyptians, while the Hospitallers will set up in Antioch and expand to safeguard the north against Turkish incursions. And a minor note, we are also in the process of expanding our defensive facilities in Jerusalem, enabling us to begin construct spear and crossbow militia as a proper defense.

Muslim armies and patrols begin to pace outside our borders, the independent rulers are of little concern and won't prey on targets able to challenge them in battle. The Egyptians are of a greater concern, as they appear to be massing around the castle of Gaza right next to Jerusalem.

We take advantage of the roaming Muslim armies to lay siege to the small fort of Aleppo, which is defended only by a skeleton garrison.

The Egyptians have attacked our port in Jerusalem and our two nations are now in a state of war, such as it was meant to be! A new great war between Crusader and Muslim has begun. However, we have good news from the north, the Turks and the Byzantines are at war and hopefully this keeps the Turk busy and our northern flank secure.

With the Egyptians marshaling, we assault the small fort of Aleppo to focus all our efforts on this new threat.

The Taking of Aleppo
Spoiler:

Our makeup for this battle consists of two units of infantry and two units of armored calvary.

The Knights Hospitaller lead our first engagement in the north, they are fearsome troops and outclass any Calvary that our enemies might throw at us.

Our formation is simple, our spearmen move a ram forward towards the gate while the rest of the army hangs back out of range of missile fire.

The garrison appears to be solely made up of a unit of archers! They flee back to the center of the fort and in doing so seal their doom.

Our ram breaks open the gate unopposed, and our army moves in, the infantry move to engage the archers from the front while the calvary rush to slam into their flank.

The enemy is quickly wedged between the two groups and wiped out.

Our losses are negligible and the fort is taken.

The fort is sacked, like Kerak this is more to keep the muslims in line than for any sort of monetary gain. While it's small and provides only basic facilities, in joins the city of Antioch with the town of Edessa, and will eventually serve as major castle in the future.

The Egyptians besiege Jerusalem! At first I am baffled by the small force they send but I notice several muslim armies marching from Gaza to reinforce it.

Our prince moves to Kerak to merge with the forces there and march on Jerusalem to act as a relief force and drive the muslims back. We've constructed several facilies at the city and are in possession of a large quantity of both crusader troops and local auxiliaries.

But he's not fast enough and the armies of Egypt assault Jerusalem!

The October Siege of Jerusalem.
Spoiler:

Our defensive formation is simple, since the enemy have only brought two wall breaching weapons and a ram we place the weaker Marinae and spear militia on the walls in short formations, the sheer bulk of the force will prove difficult for any troops assaulting the walls. Our best troops form a tight ring around the gate, and leave room for King Baludinin to charge in if needed.

The Egyptians are mostly composed of light spearmen, with a few units of archers and light calvary as support.

Though most of their troops are lightly armored, there are a few units wearing chainmail that concern me. We Europeans have always dominated in infantry slogs and armored assaults, yet the Muslims are learning from their past and adapting to better infantry in siege battles.

Their siege weapons reach our defenses simultaneously, shedding the first blood of battle. Overwhelmed and outnumbered, the assaulting infantry are bludgeoned and stabbed to death on the wall.

Their siege tower gushes forth a tide of Nubians, only to be gutted on the swords of our Canon Guardians.

With both their other units fleeing off the walls, the ram breaks the gates and the entire egyptian army rushes to surge through it.

Pinned by the troops on the ground, they are tightly packed into the breach and forced to fight man on man, where their numbers count for little.

Our boiling oil tubes continue to pour into the packed muslim ranks, incinerating everything they touch, wiping out clumps of troops and sending panic through their ranks. This causes them to break and then reform just outside the gate, continuously losing more and more mend to the meat grinder and oilmen.

The troops on the walls pour in to assist their grown brethren, breaking the last of the Muslim troops and sending them fleeing out the gate.

We pursue and hammer the point home, the remaining Muslim army breaks and runs, with the King slamming into the fleeing troops and capturing over a hundred of them!

A victory that will be told through the ages! Though our casualties were significant, the enemy were nearly annihilated, only one in ten survived the assault.

The enemy troops are put to the sword and the remains dumped in a large burial pit outside the city. Though we could have ransomed the troops, I felt that we could not afford to fight them a second time and had them executed.
[left][center]

Last edited by Komrade Kharloth on Wed May 29, 2013 1:58 am; edited 1 time in total

Μολών λαβέ

Komrade Kharloth
God's Hero-man

Back to top Go down

Post by Komrade Kharloth on Wed May 22, 2013 1:56 am

War Council

A gathering of nobles, Templars/Hospitallers, and native generals and leaders convene to decide the path the war will follow from here. So far the they have split on the opinions, we have two chocies.

A) Counter-Attack and seize Gaza
While the Egyptians are busy licking their wounds, we launch an attempt to quickly seize the castle of Gaza. It's superior in defense and facilities to anything we have available at the moment, and is lightly defended. Critics say that this could stretch our forces too thin and expose us to a strong enemy assault should a second wave of Egyptians arrive soon.

B) Drive to unify.
Kerak and Jerusalem hunker down for a war of attrition against the Egyptians while the north gears up to take the area between the divided kingdom, smashing the independent muslim lords and bringing the important financial centers of Damascus and Acre, along with the fort of Tripoli into the fold while bleeding the Egyptians dry on the walls of Jerusalem and Damascus. Critics argue that doing this would weaken the north and cause the Seljuik Turks to invade, landing us in a two-front war against two major muslim powers.

What do you vote for?

Μολών λαβέ

Komrade Kharloth
God's Hero-man

Back to top Go down

Post by Xandy on Wed May 22, 2013 2:11 am

I'd go with the later.

Also send priests into Egyptian territory to convert the Saracens and promote civil discord.

Xandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Komrade Kharloth on Wed May 29, 2013 1:48 am

Chapter 4: Knights in the Desert

Another day dawns, and our situation remains the same, roaming Muslim armies continue to march about our lands, terrorizing the Christian 'infidels' unfortunate enough to be caught in their path. This has gone far enough, we've been on the defensive too long. We now have a signifigant military force and it's time we put an end to the Muslim armies roaming outside the cities.

Evidently the Egyptian Caliph was none too pleased when his last army was massacred on the walls of Jerusalem and has raised a force to march on our city personally.

On the advice of Xandar, a Persian Zoroastrian with a burning hatred of Islam who has joined our kingdom and brings much valuable info through a spy network, we begin an overhaul of our facilities at the fort of Aleppo, our strategy will be to hold the line in the south while our northern section of the Kingdom clears out the independent Muslim lords that split our nation in two.

We begin the first battles against the field armies of the Muslims in the north, they prize mobility and bows above other forms of warfare and this will prove problematic against our more traditional heavy infantry armies in the field. As such we take a large force of heavy calvary and hire local horse archers to supplement our own forces.

We send the smaller force fleeing to outside the town of Tortosa and engage the larger Muslim army in the area.

Battle by the Sea
Spoiler:

We deploy in a direct fashion, however the enemy decides to deploy to the far side of our flank

They rush out their horse archers as our troops form up to better attack and in turn we charge our calvary into them as they fire into our infantry

Our infantry rush forward as their calvary flee behind their ranks, our knight unfortunately take quite a few casualties from the fire.

Our mercenary horse archers absorb the majority of arrow fire and are almost wiped out, still our infantry and knights are able to cleave into the enemy and reap revenge at swordpoint.

The enemy are wiped out, our casualties came primarily from the mercenary horse archers, but we lost a significant portion of our knights

The Hospitallers have wet their blades, and now it is time for their Templar cousins to do the same. Prince Bauodini marches on the lightly defended town of Al-Aqaba and engages a nearby army, drawing the town's Garrison out to defend their brethern. We are joined by a large group of Sudanese from beyond the south, though Muslim, they are runaway slaves and eager for revenge against their former masters.

Battle for Al-Aqaba
Spoiler:

Our enemies are weak and split into two groups, to the hill on left lie a unit of archers and unit of spearmen, behind us moves a single Egyptian 'Noble' of little note.

I send the horse archers to deal with him and his bodyguard, peppering them with arrows and whittling down their ranks.

[color=black]
Knowing that they could never catch the archers, he attempts to charge into the flank of my marching infantry, only to be intercepted by our prince. As the two generals stampede towards each other, roars of 'Deus Vult!' and 'Allahu Akbar!' fill the air.

His bravery is admirable, but his tactical sense is not. Our Templars are brought up to support their prince while the horse archers charge their rear. Both sides take heavy casualties in the melee but soon the Muslim noble and his body guard are killed to the last man.

Meanwhile our infantry come to grips with theirs while their archers attempt to flee up the hill.

Our Templars, eager to send more heathens into the inferno charge their rear and break them, while the rest of our calvary run down the enemy archers.

A good fight! Like the one before, our horse archers took the brunt of the casualties.
Like the others, the Muslim prisoners are put to the sword. While there is no honor in killing unarmed men, they will flee to Al-Aqba and this battle will have been for nothing. With the garrison destroyed, the Prince occupies the town with little trouble, he orders the Mosque to be torn down and the foundations for a new church to be constructed in his place.

The Muslim King has besieged Holy Jerusalem! Showing more sense than his nobles he has brought another full army in tow with him. Destiny has come to Jerusalem, here at the holiest of cities, the greatest Muslim and Christian authorities in the land will clash in the name of God.

Let the battle come! More than anything else in the war, this will decide who God favours most, his Christian sons or the Muslim heathen.

DEUS VULT

Μολών λαβέ

Komrade Kharloth
God's Hero-man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed May 29, 2013 11:46 am

"Like the others, the Muslim prisoners are put to the sword. While there is no honor in killing unarmed men"

Back to top Go down

Post by Walnutman on Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:18 am

Got back into Medieval 2 after reading this, currently playing a campaign as France, it's going alright.

Walnutman
Refuses to Let Humanity Be Undermined by Robotics

Leprechaun Gold : 6753
Pineapple Power : 617

Back to top Go down

Post by Komrade Kharloth on Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:29 pm

Next update is going to be delayed for several weeks, laptop took a tumble down the stairs (slipped on dog piss climbing up them) and the screen's fucked. Gonna take awhile to get the cash for a new screen and have it shipped here.

Μολών λαβέ

Komrade Kharloth
God's Hero-man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top