General Film and TV Thread.

Page 15 of 17 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: General Film and TV Thread.

Post by Xandy on Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:31 pm

It has some neat ideas, but the storytelling is too shit for me to care most of the time. Only episode I've liked so far are the first Weeping Angels one, the Shakespeare one and the one where they're on that diamond planet or some shit.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Wu-Tang is for the children!

Xandy
Halfblood Prince of Persia

Leprechaun Gold : 24477
Pineapple Power : 1164
Alignment : Chaotic Faggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Pararaptor on Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:24 am

Icy Lemon wrote:It's just too cheesy and kitschy for me. I love me some cheese, but it has to be done a certain way. And DWho don't do it.
Fair enough. Some of them are unbearably cheesy yeah, especially when you get into the Matt Smith stuff.

Xandus and Furb, I suppose this goes for you too- if you can really be bothered/want to at all, there's a great two-parter in the Christopher Eccleston series- The Empty Child. A hell of a lot darker than the rest of the show, and lacking in a lot of what people don't seem to like about the DW reboot.t

Pararaptor
10 Foot Tall Walking Avocado

Leprechaun Gold : 63620
Pineapple Power : 50698

http://steamcommunity.com/id/pararaptor

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:38 am

I do actually remember seeing that at my mates house when I was 14. The gas mask one? That was good. I like Eccleston generally.

I think my main problem with Doctor who is that when I'd be over at my English friends house, we'd be playing Xbox or whatever and having a good time, and then his whole family would come in and kick us off to watch Doctor Who, and then probably watch another two on DVD just because they were in the mood.

I wouldn't mind if we were let bring the Xbox back to my friends room, but if he touched any of the electronic equipment in the house his dad would start screaming.
I actually stopped going over there because of the constant Doctor Who, although it was probably mainly because of his weird family.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
This device will make me famous
This device will make me fly
This device will make me holy
This device defies all laws

Laws that are stupid, and make no sense.

Big Black, Newman Generator

The New Adventures of Momo Murphy

Furburt
Arrested For Copying Dogs

Leprechaun Gold : 71719
Pineapple Power : 42707
Alignment : The Clan MacGinty, the Clan Nangle, The Clan O'Neill and the Clan Moriarty

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by Walnutman on Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:38 am

I watched Doctor Who when Tennant was the Doctor but lost interest quickly when Smith took over. Looking back , Eccleston was way better than I initially gave him credit for.

Walnutman
Refuses to Let Humanity Be Undermined by Robotics

Leprechaun Gold : 6631
Pineapple Power : 617

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Wiggles on Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:11 pm

Same here. Loved Eccleston and I was unkeen on Tennant but I warmed to him as I still enjoyed the quality premises of the show. Smith was a bridge too far and I gave up on it afterwards.

I remember finding the old school Doctor Who's really scary and exciting as a kid and I'm tempted to watch them again. They certainly looked a lot more old school sci-fi back then. I remember being traumatised by an episode I saw about murderous plants and genuinely feeling dread when the Timelords sentenced the Doctor to death. Could just be the innocence of youth really but I do want to like it... I just don't.

PS: Why did they have to get rid of the other Timelords? The new series suffered because you knew the Doctor was more or less invincible compared to a shouty rhino. On the other hand, back then, you knew Who had fucked up when he was in the Court of the Timelords!

You can buy a dream or two to last you all the years, and the only price you'll pay is a heart full of tears.

Mr. Wiggles
Professional Green Tea Enthusiast. It cures Space Aids dontcha know?

Leprechaun Gold : 26502
Pineapple Power : 15453
Alignment : Semi-sadistic Tea-drinking Schizophrenic

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Wiggles on Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:23 pm

Oh also saw The World's End. Enjoyed it but it wasn't deserving of being in the Cornetto trilogy. If you think about it, there wasn't all that much comedy or random quotables and the Pegg/Frost banter was almost non-existent because they almost spent the whole thing in a tiff with one another.

I have to go with Empire and say 4 stars and don't get me wrong, I loved it and I loved the scale. But the pub crawl concept forced the plot in a boring and linear direction. For me Hot Fuzz was Shawn Of The Dead concentrated. So I went in expecting a different film really.

You can buy a dream or two to last you all the years, and the only price you'll pay is a heart full of tears.

Mr. Wiggles

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:43 pm

I'm the opposite, I felt Hot Fuzz was too impersonal and that TWE had much more of an emotional core to it, like Shaun of the Dead.

I was more into the supporting cast though. They packed it out well.

Furburt

Alignment : The Clan MacGinty, the Clan Nangle, The Clan O'Neill and the Clan Moriarty

Back to top Go down

Post by Pararaptor on Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:17 am

Shaun of the Dead will always remain king to me. It's such an intensely good film.

Yeah, the gas mask zombies one. Scared the absolute piss out of me when I first saw it, I think I was 12 maybe?
The guy who writes the show now is probs going to give the job to someone else at the end of the season when Smith leaves too.

Pararaptor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:58 am

I can't stand Doctor Who. Its such a famous, high-production show but it always comes across as phony, stupid and cheap.

Some good stories mixed in with some utter shit.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pararaptor on Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:16 am

Some of the best episodes are ruined by that problem.
There's one of the quite recent ones where they have to go to an insane asylum planet for daleks and I still love the episode because crazy daleks but holy shit they fuck it up with cheesiness.

Spoiler:
The planet has an atmosphere pumped full of nanobots that turn anything that isn't a dalek into a dalek drone. One of the companions' protective forcefield thing breaks and the nanobots start by "subtracting her love". Her boyfriend gives her his working one because he loves her more and will last longer. It's such a cringeworthy subplot.

The whole episode revolves around a master hacker trapped in the asylum guiding them through to rescue her and in the end it turns out she was a human turned into a dalek because she was such a master hacker, that's in total crazy denial. When I first saw the episode I thought she was just a crazy dalek who thought she was a human, you can't imagine my disappointment when I realised they went with "they turned her into one".

Pararaptor

Back to top Go down

Post by Komrade Kharloth on Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:57 am

stinkychops wrote:I can't stand Doctor Who. Its such a famous, high-production show but it always comes across as phony, stupid and cheap.

Bingo.

These are the big evil baddies in the series, how the fuck am I supposed to take them seriously.

Μολών λαβέ

Komrade Kharloth
God's Hero-man

Leprechaun Gold : 14372
Pineapple Power : 1892
Alignment : Orthodox

Back to top Go down

Post by Xandy on Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:46 am

ITS ARM IS A TOILET PLUNGER
And no, I don't care if it can crush a person's skull. A toilet plunger arm is something that can never be made intimidating.

Only Doctor Who villains which I've fond genuinely scary in terms of appearance are the Weeping Angels, and the Silence which surprisingly don't look like cheap garbage.

Xandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:45 pm

Aaaaand Peter Capaldi IS the Doctor.

Unbelievably chuffed, it's brilliant when you see one of your favourite actors get a part that you know won't particularly stretch them, but will prove to the world at large why they're so good at what they do. Make him a bit of money too.

The Doctor Who bit is almost inconsequential, but I'll definitely start watching it if he's in it.

Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:53 pm

The new Doctor.

Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by Komrade Kharloth on Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:30 pm

Watched this movie and it's sequel yesterday, quickly topped my list for 'favourite cop movies'

For a quick rundown of what the hell it's about, it shows a war between Brazil's favela dwelling gangs/cartels and BOPE, Brazil's most feared police unit (hell, their wikipedia page classifies them as urban warfare special forces), the story follows captain Nascimento who's expecting the birth of his first child and wants to leave the force, but is stuck between choosing two competent officers as his replacement, throw in a heavy serving of police corruption, an unashamed love of police brutality and it's a fucking awesome film.

Μολών λαβέ

Komrade Kharloth
God's Hero-man

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:07 pm

Apparently Brazil's a bit cagey about that film being shown lately, world cup, olympics and all that. I can see why, it doesn't make the favelas look particularly attractive.

Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Wiggles on Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:17 pm

@Furb: Only just heard and I hate to be THAT guy because I do also love me some Peter Capaldi but..... HE ALREADY PLAYED JOHN FROBISCHER WHO ALREADY SHOT HIMSELF AT THE END OF THE LAST SEASON OF TORCHWOOD. EXPLAIN THAT ONE MOFFAT!

Mr. Wiggles

Back to top Go down

Post by ggggggggggg on Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:00 pm

It's Doctor Who it's not like that show makes a whole let of sense anyway.

ggggggggggg
Kay-Ron, Destroyer of Worlds

Leprechaun Gold : 29060
Pineapple Power : 21476

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:18 pm

Yeah, I mean Billie Piper was considered to play the Doctor. That requires some serious logic bending to rewrite, or just ignoring it entirely.

Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by Pararaptor on Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:05 am

Mr. Wiggles wrote:@Furb: Only just heard and I hate to be THAT guy because I do also love me some Peter Capaldi but..... HE ALREADY PLAYED JOHN FROBISCHER WHO ALREADY SHOT HIMSELF AT THE END OF THE LAST SEASON OF TORCHWOOD. EXPLAIN THAT ONE MOFFAT!

Worse than that, he's already played a character in Doctor Who. He's some plot-relevant rich dude when they go to ancient Pompeii.

Rose kind of became a God for a few minutes in the Eccleston run and changed a bunch of shit throughout time, it's not a massive stretch. Stupid, but not a massive stretch.

Christ, they seem to have such a boner for Rose. She's in the show so much more than she needs to be.

Pararaptor

Back to top Go down

Post by Komrade Kharloth on Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:31 am

I've only seen bits of the show, but the more and more I hear about it, the more and more shit it seems.

Μολών λαβέ

Komrade Kharloth
God's Hero-man

Back to top Go down

Post by Pararaptor on Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:39 am

Watch The Empty Child. Like I said, it's a good episode for people who don't normally see the appeal in Doctor Who.

Pararaptor

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:24 pm

Me and my friends always mean to get a load of grass and go through the old Tom Baker Doctor Who's.

We would be basically doing the same thing my uncles did 40 years ago.

Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:31 pm

Pain and Gain was fantastic. Best of 2013 for me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pararaptor on Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:52 am

I remember ages back Furburt posted a video of what it's like to take DMT.
Saw the film that clip was from and holy shit it is a weird film. Enter the Void.

Pararaptor

Back to top Go down

Post by ggggggggggg on Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:48 pm

I don't remember it being very weird, just slow as fuck. Half of it is just a camera sloooooowly floating over tokyo.

ggggggggggg

Back to top Go down

Post by Pararaptor on Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:36 pm

Did you forget all the oedipal stuff?

Pararaptor

Back to top Go down

Post by ggggggggggg on Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:28 pm

Oh wait he wants to fuck his sister or something right? I know the end is a bit odd at least, with the whole... reborn thing.

It was hard to take the character interactions seriously though because the acting was so atrocious. I'd say it'd be more interesting to watch while high.

ggggggggggg

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:38 pm

I actually prefer Irreversible, his other film.

Gaspar Noe is very much love him or hate him. Or both, at once. Great ideas but christ do they take their time.

Enter The Void is good while high though. Only if you have enough to get through the thing very stoned and you're not likely to fall asleep.

Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by owyn_merrilin on Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:48 am

So, I'm in the process of burning some bootleg Star Wars DVDs, starting with Original Trilogy preservations (which are better quality than any of the official original original releases), and following up with a rip of the Japanese Phantom Menace laserdisc, which unlike all the other non-VHS versions, is the actual theatrical version. Even includes the un-screwed around with Dolby Digital track, which is nice because even on films that aren't messed with in general, they're often re-mixed weaker and darker for home video to avoid blowing up low end and poorly set up sound systems. I'd grab preservations of the other two prequels, but there aren't any, and the changes from the theatrical to the home video versions are minor anyway. There were almost as many differences in the various pre-special edition originals as there were in those two, and I'm not even talking about myths like the Biggs scene being in some versions of the original Star Wars.

It looks like a re-watch of the entire saga is in my near future.

owyn_merrilin
Sexy Murder Victim

Leprechaun Gold : 6823
Pineapple Power : 907
Alignment : Chaotic Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Wiggles on Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:03 pm

Furburt wrote:Me and my friends always mean to get a load of grass and go through the old Tom Baker Doctor Who's.

We would be basically doing the same thing my uncles did 40 years ago.
 Oh yes.

Joe Pay

Mr. Wiggles

Back to top Go down

Post by owyn_merrilin on Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:17 am

Update on the Star Wars thing: all six movies have been burned to dual layer DVDs, with nice cases made up for the original original trilogy. Now I just have to find 12 hours to watch all of them, which is unfortunately no mean feat.

owyn_merrilin
Sexy Murder Victim

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:26 am

After you've watched the prequel trilogy you must burn it for real.

I felt my sphincter clench and my scrotum contract in shock at his response.

Hubilub
Conquistador of the Useless

Leprechaun Gold : 14813
Pineapple Power : 4328
Alignment : Probiotics are Evil

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:11 am

^The best way to watch Star Wars in style and comfort.

Back to top Go down

Post by owyn_merrilin on Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:08 pm

Naw, I legitimately like the prequels, especially TPM and RotS. They're not as good as the original trilogy, but they're also nowhere near as bad as most people think they are, for the same reason FFVII isn't as bad as so many people think it is: they haven't actually seen the movies in ages -- if ever -- they've just been bombarded with negative opinions for the last decade.

Also, I might go for a head mounted display, but you'll have to take my sound system out of my cold, dead hands. Inexpensive headphones may beat cheap speakers, but no matter how much money you spend, they won't beat good ones. If for no other reason than the bass can't physically impact your chest on a pair of headphones.

By the way, I saw an action figure for either that specific character or one of the other minor nemoidians yesterday, which was proudly advertised as the first time said character had ever had an action figure of his own. It was in a clearance bin, because nobody actually cares about a character who had two minutes of screen time.

owyn_merrilin
Sexy Murder Victim

Back to top Go down

Post by Katzenjammer on Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:19 pm

RE Headphones vs Speakers: I would strongly disagree with that owyn. Headphones are so much more isolated than speakers that very atmospheric music always sounds much more powerful. Also you talking about a big soundsystem or an audiophile type soundsystem? Because if it's that latter I actually find that most good monitors actually take a lot out of the music because they're so clear, a good set of PAs will generally always have a nice and full sound whereas monitors can tend to sound really flat. Obviously for music production and the like you're gonna want monitors but otherwise i would definitely prefer PAs and I would prefer headphones for personal listening.

EDIT: And then I realised that you were probably talking about listening to films and such through headphones or speakers in which case I would agree. Speakers over headphones definitely. But for personal music listening I still believe headphones reign supreme.

She's turned the weans against us.

Katzenjammer
Zoot Suit

Leprechaun Gold : 6293
Pineapple Power : 424

Back to top Go down

Post by owyn_merrilin on Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:47 pm

It was more of a "if money is no object" type deal. On a small budget you can go into a store and walk out with a kickass pair of headphones, but you hit diminishing returns a lot sooner than you do with speakers -- like what I mentioned with the bass, a pair of headphones can't kick you in the chest with it, no matter how much you crank up the volume.

I haven't ever actually listened to a real audiophile setup. There's a bit of a distinction there in audio circles. People who actually identify as audiophiles tend to buy into pseudo-science based marketing, and at best waste money on stuff that makes no difference, at worst spend it on things that actually make things worse. Speakers can sound nice and full just as easily as they can sound thin (well, I guess it's harder in that you can get thin sound out of literally anything, but that's another story.)

My setup, for example, has a pair of 20 or 30 year old beaters as front mains, from a brand that hasn't been high end since the 60's, which I picked up from a thrift shop for $20. It's not high end at all, I'd be surprised if I've got much more than $500 in the whole system including the DVD player and the TV, but it's already past the upper limits of what you can do with headphones.

owyn_merrilin
Sexy Murder Victim

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:58 pm

I know it's a cop-out, but damn it, the Redlettermedia reviews are so good at showing the poor quality of the prequels that I will simply hide behind them.

Protect me, mighty shield!

I felt my sphincter clench and my scrotum contract in shock at his response.

Hubilub
Conquistador of the Useless

Leprechaun Gold : 14813
Pineapple Power : 4328
Alignment : Probiotics are Evil

Back to top Go down

Post by Xandy on Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:24 am

Hubilub wrote:I know it's a cop-out, but damn it, the Redlettermedia reviews are so good at showing the poor quality of the prequels that I will simply hide behind them.

Protect me, mighty shield!

Xandy

Back to top Go down

Post by owyn_merrilin on Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:45 am

The thing is, none of them are objectively any worse than The Fifth Element, and The Phantom Menace is about as good as (the significantly better put together) Stargate. If you nitpicked either one of those films the way people do the Star Wars prequels, they'd both look terrible. Heck, so would Return of the Jedi, for that matter. Yet The Fifth Element, Stargate, and Return of the Jedi are all very well remembered. It's more a case of not living up to the hype than actually being un-enjoyable.

owyn_merrilin
Sexy Murder Victim

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 17 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top