General Film and TV Thread.

Page 14 of 17 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: General Film and TV Thread.

Post by Hubilub on Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:15 pm

In the end I might go as far as to say that Only God Forgives is the better of the two. But I'll have to think more about it

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I felt my sphincter clench and my scrotum contract in shock at his response.
Hubilub
Conquistador of the Useless

Leprechaun Gold : 15119
Pineapple Power : 4328
Alignment : Probiotics are Evil

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:19 pm

Rewatching it now.

It's much more interesting the second time through when you're more familiar with the underlying themes. Take the first time he meets his mother, for example. They're positioned very sexually, he is standing, she is sitting in a position that heavily implies fellatio, asking him if he's killed her brother's killer. When he says no, up she goes, and soon he's the one sitting down. The scene ends with him, like a slave, lighting his mother's cigarette as if it was second nature, looking extremely subservient.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:26 pm

The mother talks a lot about sex. The body language with Julian implies sex, she talks about how his brother's cock was enormous, he insults his "girlfriend's" profession as a prostitute. It's all sex, deviant, incestual sex. 

I think sex is a very important theme in this movie. Sex and violence. I saw an interview in which Refn compared sex and violence and noted that they had many similarities. It's all about the foreplay, the tension, the climax is almost unimportant. Julian's brother rapes and murders, he isn't afraid of violence and not of sex. Julian is a masochist, he wants pain upon himself, and he wants to be sexually dominated. His mother has sexual dominance over him, the angel of death has physical dominance over him. They are both his weaknesses, they are both what tear him apart. 

Julian cuts up his mother's stomach and touches her uterus because that's where her sexual power is. He does it with the angel of death's sword because the sword represents physical domination. He can only conquer the sexual power with violence. Then he lets the angel of death cut off his hands, removing from him the possibility of engaging in any violence. He takes the sexual power from his mother with violence, and the angel of death takes away his violence with divine power.

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:27 pm

Man, I'm starting to really dig this film. It was much deeper than I thought at first

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:31 pm

I especially love the way the movie shows the divine powers of the angel of death. He is always shown as having nothing on his back, yet that is from where he draws his sword. It's as if he is showing his wings, having hidden them all along. The mentally handicapped kid mimics his motions, symbolizing how its lack of understanding the real world is balanced by understanding the actions of the angel. He sees the angel, he sees the sword, because he is a pure soul incapable of sin, incapable of bringing upon himself the wrath of the angel of vengeance.

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:35 pm

When his mother arrives at the fight, it's to symbolize his increasing realization that he is impotent. His sexual impotence meets with his impotence for violence. The angel of death can see his weakness, see what keeps him a weak soul who sins.

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:37 pm

The comparison of the angel of death to the boxing statue Julian "prays" to is another way of symbolizing the angel's divine powers

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:37 pm

I'm just rambling as I go on

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:41 pm

When Julian's friend puts on the mask while saying they must kill the entire family, that is Julian's realization that he is amongst demons, that he is in hell. His mother is the devil and those he thought his friends and companions are actually her demonic servants. He sees the divine sword used by the angel of death, and when he shoots the "demon" dead he has found clarity and saved innocence.

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:41 pm

The mother tries to use her powers of sexuality and persuasion on the police. The angel of death, knowing she has a dangerous tongue, as the Devil is known to have, stabs her in the throat before she can address him.

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:44 pm

Okay, I take back what I said when I said this movie was a disappointment. It was actually a great film

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by ggggggggggg on Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:33 pm

Mai is interesting. She seems to be a force of neutrality in Julian's life when compared to Chang and his mother. He always seems confused by her; after running his hands up her legs, (i.e giving his instruments of evil to this neutral force) he immediately becomes confused and lashes out by attacking a guy. He's tied down by her the first time, as he doesn't know what to do with her, and he always seems to watch her in a blue cell like thing in the strip club, as if she is protected from the hellish world she inhabits. She quickly leaves after meeting Julian's mother, disgusted by what she has heard, and when she questions Julian on why he takes her shit, he goes mental at her, as he still doesn't know what side he wants to be on. She then leaves, being the only character in the film who leaves with any bit of dignity. 

Or that could all be pulled from my ass, I need to watch it again to refresh my memory.

ggggggggggg
Kay-Ron, Destroyer of Worlds

Leprechaun Gold : 29336
Pineapple Power : 21476

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:37 pm

@Hub:The amount of times you've done that, I've lost count.

@Thread: Caught The Worlds End in the cinema just there.

Heartily recommended! In fact I'd say it's actually my favourite of the Frost/Pegg trilogy. All my favourite actors in it, like Mark Heap, Michael Smiley, Paddy Considine and Eddie Marsan.

Honestly, it was a lot better than I thought it was going to be. I don't think everyone will feel the way I do about it but I was thoroughly entertained.

This device will make me famous
This device will make me fly
This device will make me holy
This device defies all laws

Laws that are stupid, and make no sense.

Big Black, Newman Generator

The New Adventures of Momo Murphy
Furburt
Arrested For Copying Dogs

Leprechaun Gold : 71995
Pineapple Power : 42707
Alignment : The Clan MacGinty, the Clan Nangle, The Clan O'Neill and the Clan Moriarty

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by Xandy on Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:35 pm

Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead were fucking great.

Wu-Tang is for the children!
Xandy
Halfblood Prince of Persia

Leprechaun Gold : 24753
Pineapple Power : 1164
Alignment : Chaotic Faggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:44 pm

They were indeed. After seeing that, I'd say Hot Fuzz is the weakest entry, but I enjoyed that regardless.

Furburt

Alignment : The Clan MacGinty, the Clan Nangle, The Clan O'Neill and the Clan Moriarty

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:47 pm

Icy Lemon wrote:Mai is interesting. She seems to be a force of neutrality in Julian's life when compared to Chang and his mother. He always seems confused by her; after running his hands up her legs, (i.e giving his instruments of evil to this neutral force) he immediately becomes confused and lashes out by attacking a guy. He's tied down by her the first time, as he doesn't know what to do with her, and he always seems to watch her in a blue cell like thing in the strip club, as if she is protected from the hellish world she inhabits. She quickly leaves after meeting Julian's mother, disgusted by what she has heard, and when she questions Julian on why he takes her shit, he goes mental at her, as he still doesn't know what side he wants to be on. She then leaves, being the only character in the film who leaves with any bit of dignity. 

Or that could all be pulled from my ass, I need to watch it again to refresh my memory.
We are being so sexy right now

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:54 pm

Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:58 pm

My favorite scene in the film is when the camera just holds on Ryan Gosling's face for like a minute. So beautiful

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:24 am

Someone pointed out the relevancy of Julian's hands in the movie.

His mother says he killed his father with his bare hands. Many scenes feature Julian looking at his hands. He feels enormous guilt, and his hands symbolize that guilt for him. This is why the camera so often focuses on his hands, why the faucet starts covering them with blood, and why he has vision of the angel of death cutting of his arms. He gives his hand to Mai in a fantasy sequence because he wants to lead a normal life and wants her to help him absolve his sins and guilt, but cannot bring himself to it. 

When he willingly sacrifices his arms to the angel of death, it is so that he may be absolved of his sins.

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:13 am

Hmm, well I'm convinced.

I thought there was a subtext to the movie when he stuck his hand in his mum but I was too stupid to understand the significance of mystic-asian-cop.

Back to top Go down

Post by owyn_merrilin on Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:29 pm

Not a film or TV show, but this seems to be the general discussion thread around these parts, so I figured I'd post this here.

So the other day I was in this dollar store that had somehow managed to pick up a stack of old Image Comics graphic novels that hadn't sold, and were selling them for a dollar each. So of course I got one of everything they had. Anyway, they had an old Tomb Raider comic in there, and imagine my surprise when, upon flipping to the last page to make sure that it was self contained and I wasn't wasting my money, I noticed that there was a "coloring error" on the pinup at the end. That's in scare quotes because I have a hard time believing it was unintentional.

Long story short, the costume has that "nipples poking through the fabric" thing, and it's on a pink explody background. You can guess which part of her anatomy was the same color as the background.
owyn_merrilin
Sexy Murder Victim

Leprechaun Gold : 7099
Pineapple Power : 907
Alignment : Chaotic Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Pararaptor on Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:43 am

Sounds like Image Comics alright.
Pararaptor
10 Foot Tall Walking Avocado

Leprechaun Gold : 63896
Pineapple Power : 50698

http://steamcommunity.com/id/pararaptor

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:39 am

Hands down the most awkward interview I've ever seen. I thought the Billy Bob Thornton one was bad, but Jesus.

Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:43 pm

I don't know if I'm excited or concerned for Kickass 2.

Red 2 looks like it'll be a family-fun movie. Bruce Willis has always been  strange actor in my eyes. Not quite type cast yet totally 2 dimensional in 90% of his movies. His most interesting character was probably in this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhPaWIeULKk

Back to top Go down

Post by GrinningManiac on Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:20 pm

Bruce Willis worries me of late because he seems so utterly miserable with everything he does and totally unenthusiastic about everything. He just seems like a miserable human being. 

Also reading about Jim Carrey's problem with Kickass 2 has made me aware of just how odd a man he is and how I'd actually probably not like him at all if I met him.

मैं हिन्दी जानना चाहता हूँ…અને ગુજરાતી…ਅਤੇ ਪੰਜਾਬੀ…এবং হয়ত বাংলা.
Aprenderé a bailar salsa y nada detendrá me. 对不起我的中文不好,对不起我不知道你说什么。
Не слышны в саду даже шорохи. Все здесь замерло до утра, Если б знали вы, как мне дороги, Подмосковные вечера.
The problem with having an open mind, you see, is that people insist on coming along and putting things in it
- Sir Terry Pratchett
GrinningManiac
His Grace, His Excellency, The Duke of Ankh; Commander Sir Alasdair Lawrence

Leprechaun Gold : 15218
Pineapple Power : 3009
Alignment : Morally Unperturbed Mongoose-Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:52 pm

Him and George Clooney are probably the best examples of "super liberal Hollywood" that there is.

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:44 pm

Jim Carrey promoted that MMR shot autism scare with his ex wife, Jenny McCarthy. Really set medical standing back quite a bit there, so I hold that against him.

In favour, the mask.

Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by Walnutman on Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:36 am

Man, The World's End is amazing. Loved it.

Walnutman
Refuses to Let Humanity Be Undermined by Robotics

Leprechaun Gold : 6907
Pineapple Power : 617

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:53 am

"Fuck it, let's boo-boo."

Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:18 am

So apparently Peter Capaldi is becoming a surprise favourite for the new Doctor in Doctor Who.
[img]http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2012/10/30/1351595135474/The-Thick-Of-It-008.jpg[img]
As you can imagine, this would be absolutely amazing and would be the only reason I would start watching Doctor Who.

Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by Xandy on Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:22 am

I'd only watch it if he got to swear as much as he does in In the Loop.

Xandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:24 am

Get in the phonebox YOU USELESS FUCKING SPASTIC SHE-BASTARD

*to Billy Piper or whoever it'll be*

Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:28 am

I might start watching that show if that happens.

I'm just kidding, I'd never watch that spunk

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:41 am

It's too English. It's like concentrated England. It's marmite on a crumpet, drinking tea with tango in it. In a weatherspoons.

He'll bring some of that wild Scottish charm. David Tennant's Scottish too, but he dropped the accent.

Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by Xandy on Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:09 am

I don't think I'll ever really be able to understand the appeal of that show.

Xandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:25 am

Xandy wrote:I don't think I'll ever really be able to understand the appeal of that show.

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:17 am

The English people in Ireland watch it religiously. It's like turning towards Mecca for them.

Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by Pararaptor on Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:05 am

I fucking love Doctor Who. There's quite a lot of shit episodes but I find it so worth it for the diamonds among them.

Especially good show to watch baked. I watched most of the later season high as tits with a friend, it was a great experience.
Pararaptor
10 Foot Tall Walking Avocado

Leprechaun Gold : 63896
Pineapple Power : 50698

http://steamcommunity.com/id/pararaptor

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:34 am

They do a good supporting cast, I'll give them that. Practically every good face in British telly acting has gone through them at one point or another.

Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by ggggggggggg on Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:20 pm

It's just too cheesy and kitschy for me. I love me some cheese, but it has to be done a certain way. And DWho don't do it.

ggggggggggg
Kay-Ron, Destroyer of Worlds

Leprechaun Gold : 29336
Pineapple Power : 21476

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 17 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top