The News Thread! 3rd Edition!

Page 16 of 18 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The News Thread! 3rd Edition!

Post by Hubilub on Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:58 am

In continuing with the debate, and addressing Owyn's perception that Zimmerman was a generally creepy person, I found this video which does a very good job at attempting to put everything in a different perspective:

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I felt my sphincter clench and my scrotum contract in shock at his response.
Hubilub
Conquistador of the Useless

Leprechaun Gold : 14935
Pineapple Power : 4328
Alignment : Probiotics are Evil

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:58 am

Again, not taking sides, but did they actually come up with conclusive evidence that it was Martin who caused Zimmerman's injuries? I can't find anything about that in any report of his acquittal. I didn't watch the video in case it's in there and I'm making a fool of myself.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
This device will make me famous
This device will make me fly
This device will make me holy
This device defies all laws

Laws that are stupid, and make no sense.

Big Black, Newman Generator

The New Adventures of Momo Murphy
Furburt
Arrested For Copying Dogs

Leprechaun Gold : 71841
Pineapple Power : 42707
Alignment : The Clan MacGinty, the Clan Nangle, The Clan O'Neill and the Clan Moriarty

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:27 pm

Martin had bruised knuckles and no other injuries, Zimmerman had a broken nose, two black eyes, wounds on the back of his head and grass on the back of his shirt. Martin was high on marijuana at the time, which may cause paranoia, and there is a possibility that the skittles and drink he had bought were actually ingredients in a druggy concoction that has the side effect of, among other things, causing paranoia, higher pain resistance, and violent behavior with disregard to safety. Martin had also been involved in fights before.

All of the injuries on both parties involved support Zimmerman's account of the event

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:28 pm

The video does have a lot of sources you can search through if you want

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by Pararaptor on Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:44 pm

Furburt wrote:@Kharloth: How is it even possible to refer to someone as a nigger and not be talking about their skin colour? The word itself refers specifically to one skin colour. There's no way to disentangle that word from race.

I'm sure there's an image macro somewhere that can sum it up perfectly, but there's kind of a thing of using the word nigger to describe a hoodrat. Like, a chill black dude is just a black guy, and a loud, annoying douchey black guy who fits into the gangbanger stereotype is a nigger.

Reading back over this post, there is no possible way I can post this without sounding like the most racist out-of-touch old dude trying to not look racist. Like I said, the argument doesn't really work.
Pararaptor
10 Foot Tall Walking Avocado

Leprechaun Gold : 63742
Pineapple Power : 50698

http://steamcommunity.com/id/pararaptor

Back to top Go down

Post by MilkyFresh on Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:00 pm

Fuck it, I'll voice my opposition. A couple of issues with this.

-You can't start drawing lines about what is or isn't allowed based on subjective stuff, that's what lets moderators ban people for whatever the fuck they want. It should be "no saying nigger" not "no saying nigger unless you're joking also no saying black people are bad and meaning it". It's just way too open for interpretation.

-Real free speech isn't offered many places, I'd be gutted to see it get lost here. If we have a member who honestly, legitimately hates another race they should be able to express it and we should be able to tell them what a cunt they are. It's a beautiful thing.

At the end of the day it's your forum and you can do whatever you want with it, but I had to say something.

WHY MONKEY, WHY?
No one loves a prick,
No one loves a coffee sniffing motherfucker.
MilkyFresh
Wizard of Piss

Leprechaun Gold : 38645
Pineapple Power : 22738
Alignment : Arseheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:19 pm

It's a beautiful thing up to the point where someone googles any of our names and goes "Holy shit you hang out with these types of people?" Or even worse, "Holy shit you're this type of person?" 

All Faby wants to highlight is that at the end of the day, what is said on this site might very well end up being detrimental to any one of us, and that we need to take this into consideration when writing comments that might be interpreted as racist or the like. Fabfab would never ban any one of us just cause he feels like it. I might, but I'd do it despite any rules there might be, cause I'm Ryan Gosling

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by PayJ on Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:54 pm

To be fair Google has had a bot on this site since day one. Considering the conversations we have had we'rall pretty fucked anyway.

"Fix me a hot dog with jelly on
I've had cravings since withdrawing from
Low grade acid and cocaine bumps
I can't sleep at night or hold a decent job."
-Matt Berry
PayJ
And I'll Do Fitness

Leprechaun Gold : 47287
Pineapple Power : 22778
Alignment : Right or Left

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:55 pm

Not to be rude but:
Owyn you obviously didn't watch the trial.

Kharloth, this whole "it doesn't refer to black people" argument is pointless. While I completely understand your argument from an etymological perspective, I do not understand why someone like yourself would use that word knowing that it reduces your credibility and adds nothing to the discussion. Its an incredibly divisive word.

Zimmerman was found not-guilty. He mentored black children. He was part latino.
Using that word as rhetoric associates Zimmerman with it. this was a clear cut case of self defense, the mainstream media tricked everyone into making it a race issue.

Use of that word in real life will gain you nothing, so I think its better to not form it as a habit.

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:55 pm

@Milky: Pretty much what Ben said. I do see where you're coming from, and believe me, it pains me to do it, but I just don't think it's worth making a stand if it'll just fuck us all over in the future. And I really don't want to ban anyone. In fact, I'd rather step down myself than have to ban someone, because banning just proves that you don't actually have any real authority.

And in case this escalates, you can hold me to that.

Although as Joe rightly points out, we're most likely well fucked by this point anyway.

Furburt

Alignment : The Clan MacGinty, the Clan Nangle, The Clan O'Neill and the Clan Moriarty

Back to top Go down

Post by Komrade Kharloth on Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:26 pm

Alright, you folks have made your case and I'm somewhat in agreement, if you guys want me to back off on the racist comments I shall, I referred to Martin as a nigger because of both his behavior and the fact that I'm eternally pissed off at how he was portrayed as some kind of wittle angel, when in reality he was a violent, drug dealing piece of shit that probably would have been dead or in prison in the next 5-7 years. To me, he fit the stereotype to a T and therefore that's what he deserves to be called.

Srsly guys, not a racist, I promise.

Μολών λαβέ

Komrade Kharloth
God's Hero-man

Leprechaun Gold : 14494
Pineapple Power : 1892
Alignment : Orthodox

Back to top Go down

Post by owyn_merrilin on Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:09 pm

Hubilub wrote:In continuing with the debate, and addressing Owyn's perception that Zimmerman was a generally creepy person, I found this video which does a very good job at attempting to put everything in a different perspective:

That video was good up until he started talking statistics about blacks and child abuse, and he really messed up when he actually said "B. Hussein Obama." For someone against race baiting, he sure seems to be doing it himself.

Assuming what he said about Trayvon's character was true, it makes me less sympathetic to him, but it doesn't make me more sympathetic to Zimmerman. He was making a case that he wasn't a racist, not that he wasn't a creepy wannabe cop. That's a significant detail.

Last edited by owyn_merrilin on Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
owyn_merrilin
Sexy Murder Victim

Leprechaun Gold : 6945
Pineapple Power : 907
Alignment : Chaotic Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Xandy on Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:12 pm

Komrade Kharloth wrote:Srsly guys, not a racist, I promise.

Wu-Tang is for the children!
Xandy
Halfblood Prince of Persia

Leprechaun Gold : 24599
Pineapple Power : 1164
Alignment : Chaotic Faggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Xandy on Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:19 pm

To prove my racial tolerance, I am hereby changing my avatar to a picture of Malcom X.

Xandy

Back to top Go down

Post by owyn_merrilin on Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:47 pm

You know that's the first picture I've seen of Malcolm X where he was smiling? The stock pictures make him look like he was angry or at least serious all the time.
owyn_merrilin
Sexy Murder Victim

Leprechaun Gold : 6945
Pineapple Power : 907
Alignment : Chaotic Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:07 pm

@Owyn: I too felt that the abuse thing was irrelevant, and him calling Obama B Hussein Obama is weird as hell. However, I still do not agree with your assessment that Zimmerman was being creepy. He made one poor judgement while being the neighbourhood watch captain, one that neither included confrontation or accusation, and he did it with the knowledge that several crimes had been committed in the area before. There's a difference between a wannabe vigilante and someone chosen by the community to patrol the area in search of possible criminals. 

It just feels as if you're at least to a small degree colored by experience, because there are more types of people than police and wannabe police. Charles Ramsay investigated the screams of a woman he heard from a cellar and then alerted authorities, but he could have tried to save them himself. Zimmerman followed someone he suspected to be a criminal, but he could have tried to confront him himself. A true wannabe cop would have tried to take the law into their own hands, these individuals simply wanted to ensure that a crime wasn't going on or about to happen. Maybe Ramsay was more in the right than Zimmerman, but that just illustrates my point: There are varying degrees of wanting to be a helpful citizen, and trying to be one does not automatically make you a wannabe cop or vigilante.

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Wiggles on Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:29 pm

I don't really think freedom of speech always works in practice. Well what I really mean is look at how it turned out for UKIP, they can't escape the overflowing onslaught of tar coming at them from the media's brush. Everyday we get a new UKIP scandal headline. And I have to say people probably wouldn't hate them so much if it wasn't home to as many abnormal folk like holocaust deniers and islamophobes and people who think bestiality should be legal. And that is probably down to their willingness to accept any old chap so long as they make it clear that the views aren't the same as that of UKIP. 

And that really hasn't worked so well. 

@Owen: Nothing on here is really all that private, anyone can make an account and there are thousands here already. I think if anyone had an interest, it wouldn't be difficult at all. But at least it's not on Google.

@Furburt: I approve but uh, I see that on your travels, you must have forgotten to add me to the mod list.... good sir.... I AM A FACE AND I WILL BE RECOGNIZED GODDAMNIT!

You can buy a dream or two to last you all the years, and the only price you'll pay is a heart full of tears.
Mr. Wiggles
Professional Green Tea Enthusiast. It cures Space Aids dontcha know?

Leprechaun Gold : 26624
Pineapple Power : 15453
Alignment : Semi-sadistic Tea-drinking Schizophrenic

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Wiggles on Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:31 pm

I didn't convince Xandus to promote me through the ranks so I would be a nobody! I did it so that I could slowly transform this site into a cookery forum.

Progress is slow.

You can buy a dream or two to last you all the years, and the only price you'll pay is a heart full of tears.
Mr. Wiggles

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Wiggles on Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:36 pm

But more importantly
Hubilub wrote: there is a possibility that the skittles and drink he had bought were actually ingredients in a druggy concoction that has the side effect of, among other things, causing paranoia, higher pain resistance, and violent behavior with disregard to safety.
[color]

How does that work? What the actual fuck? This would explain so many things in my life...[/color]

Mr. Wiggles

Back to top Go down

Post by Komrade Kharloth on Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:50 pm

IIRC, you mix it with cough syrup or some prescription drugs and it's gets you completely fucked.

Edit: Just googled it, it's called Purple Drank, and it's mostly made up of cough syrup, sprite and jolly ranchers, although the only constant ingredient in the cough syrup.

Μολών λαβέ

Komrade Kharloth
God's Hero-man

Leprechaun Gold : 14494
Pineapple Power : 1892
Alignment : Orthodox

Back to top Go down

Post by Xandy on Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:23 pm

Purple Drank is shit.

Someone here said it before and I'll say it again - if you're going to do drugs, at least do cool ones. Not fucking cough syrup.

Xandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Wiggles on Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:29 pm

Ohhhh I know all about The Sizzurp! (for reasons that for once I can't actually disclose) I didn't realise that was what was being referred to there.

Purple drank won't send you into anything a PCP or MDMA induced haze but it will seriously fuck you up. It's probably most comparable to coke all things considered.

Mr. Wiggles

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Wiggles on Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:33 pm

UK purple drank counts as a proper drug in my eyes cause we can't buy it off a shelf, people have to make that shit using chemistry and stuff.

But it is still pretty shit and pretty pointless.

Mr. Wiggles

Back to top Go down

Post by Pararaptor on Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:15 am

It's funny seeing the disparity between the attitudes on here and IRL towards the Trayvon case. I don't know of a single person, friend or family, that believes Zimmerman isn't blatantly guilty.
Pararaptor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:42 am

Pararaptor wrote:It's funny seeing the disparity between the attitudes on here and IRL towards the Trayvon case. I don't know of a single person, friend or family, that believes Zimmerman isn't blatantly guilty.

Lucky there were 6 in the courtroom who didnt.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pararaptor on Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:28 am

That of should be omitted, whoops.
I don't know a single person personally who believes he isn't blatantly guilty.
Pararaptor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:17 am

Pararaptor wrote:That of should be omitted, whoops.
I don't know a single person personally who believes he isn't blatantly guilty.

Not surprising given the abc coverage of the story.

Check this out:
http://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/r0yyi/911_tapes_released_in_trayvon_martin_homicide/

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:16 am

That sounds like double-sided bollocks. Nowhere has it ever been stated that there were two shots fired. This is absolutely crazy. Why do people find such blatantly false information?

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:25 am

That was a thread from the night when it all happened.

People ate this shit up so fast and now they can't understand whats going on.

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:28 am

This is why I stay out of it, there's no way I can possibly stay current with this amount of conflicting information.
It's one of those cases nobody comes out happy from as well, and they tend to be the most contentious.

Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by LordCuthberton on Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:35 am

I go for 5 days and everything collapses. What a merry life we lead.

He that climbs the highest has the greatest fall.

PRAISE THE SUN
LordCuthberton
"Aha, I am also an assassin"

Leprechaun Gold : -2147472494
Pineapple Power : 1990

https://www.facebook.com/100PercentWinner

Back to top Go down

Post by PayJ on Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:46 am

Slight exageration. Only a minor disagreement handled very well. Noone devolved into childish arguing or racist name calling. Wait... Scratch that last part.

"Fix me a hot dog with jelly on
I've had cravings since withdrawing from
Low grade acid and cocaine bumps
I can't sleep at night or hold a decent job."
-Matt Berry
PayJ
And I'll Do Fitness

Leprechaun Gold : 47287
Pineapple Power : 22778
Alignment : Right or Left

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:57 am

In other news, they captured the head of the Zeta's.

Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:23 am

Furburt wrote:In other news, they captured the head of the Zeta's.

Seeing as this is mexico I checked to make sure you didn't literally mean "head".

Back to top Go down

Post by ggggggggggg on Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:31 pm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jul/16/trayvon-martin-black-men-killed

Holy shit this article. Most melodramatic load of bollocks I've read in a while. She even starts with: "I deliberately watched none of the Zimmerman trial".

C'mon Guardian.

ggggggggggg
Kay-Ron, Destroyer of Worlds

Leprechaun Gold : 29182
Pineapple Power : 21476

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:32 pm

The Economist recently had a blog-post that was even shittier. It was so shit that almost nobody agreed with it in the comments.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2013/07/trayvon-martin-and-george-zimmerman

"Now, I don't know it, but I seriously doubt Mr Zimmerman needed to shoot Mr Martin, even if Mr Martin did attack him. And I seriously doubt Mr Martin would have been shot if he hadn't been a black kid."

He literally just said "I don't know shit, but in my not-at-all expert opinion this didn't need to happen". C'mon Economist

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:38 pm

@Furb: That rapscallion Varg Vikernes has been at it again!

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:45 pm

So now the EU has released a new directive stating that no country within the EU is allowed to trade with Israel through the west bank and eastern Jerusalem.

Jesus fucking Christ I am so mad right now. Especially over the fact that the EU is calling the west bank and eastern Jerusalem "occupied territories". They're not occupied, they're disputed. If they were occupied, then they were occupied by motherfucking Jordan, not by Israel.

God damn it EU

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:01 pm

Is this good or bad for the Palestinians?

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:08 pm

It does them no good whatsoever. All it does is piss Israel the fuck off.

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 18 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top