The News Thread! 3rd Edition!

Page 15 of 18 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The News Thread! 3rd Edition!

Post by Walnutman on Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:47 pm

The Egyptian army has given parties 48 hours to resolve political crisis, or it will 'take responsibility'

Well. That isn't good.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Walnutman
Refuses to Let Humanity Be Undermined by Robotics

Leprechaun Gold : 6928
Pineapple Power : 617

Back to top Go down

Post by Komrade Kharloth on Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:50 pm

Welp they've done it, the Egyptian military has launched a coup and is calling for new elections. 

For those who don't know what's going on, Egyptian President Morsi is a 'moderate' Islamist and has given himself a lot more executive power and control since coming into power, he's trying to implement Sharia law and eventually people started protesting against this which blossomed out of control and they started circling a petition(which had twice the numbers of people who voted for him in the election) which led to the military doing what it's doing now. 

I hoping this goes smoothly and bloodlessly, but given the bloody clashes we're seeing in other parts of the middle east, I think we're going to see some increased sectarian violence between the Islamist and anti-Islamist groups.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Μολών λαβέ

Komrade Kharloth
God's Hero-man

Leprechaun Gold : 14669
Pineapple Power : 1892
Alignment : Orthodox

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:54 pm

I like how Mursi keeps denouncing what's going on as being against democracy, when all this is happening because he isn't doing what the people want and stepping down

I felt my sphincter clench and my scrotum contract in shock at his response.
Hubilub
Conquistador of the Useless

Leprechaun Gold : 15140
Pineapple Power : 4328
Alignment : Probiotics are Evil

Back to top Go down

Post by Walnutman on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:12 pm

@Hub: Also find it funny as he's denouncing the exact way he was elected into power.

Walnutman
Refuses to Let Humanity Be Undermined by Robotics

Leprechaun Gold : 6928
Pineapple Power : 617

Back to top Go down

Post by Komrade Kharloth on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:17 pm

Hubilub wrote:I like how Mursi keeps denouncing what's going on as being against democracy, when all this is happening because he isn't doing what the people want and stepping down
Truth be told, only about 1/8 of the population voted for him.

Due to the split vote in the variety of candidates and less than half the country voting, he won the presidency.

Μολών λαβέ

Komrade Kharloth
God's Hero-man

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:04 am

The endlessly revolving Egyptian leadership.

This device will make me famous
This device will make me fly
This device will make me holy
This device defies all laws

Laws that are stupid, and make no sense.

Big Black, Newman Generator

The New Adventures of Momo Murphy
Furburt
Arrested For Copying Dogs

Leprechaun Gold : 72016
Pineapple Power : 42707
Alignment : The Clan MacGinty, the Clan Nangle, The Clan O'Neill and the Clan Moriarty

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:13 pm

http://www.thejournal.ie/high-court-order-block-pirate-bay-948503-Jun2013/

Doh bollocks. I may be asking you guys to download SUCH FILES and email them to me.

Furburt

Alignment : The Clan MacGinty, the Clan Nangle, The Clan O'Neill and the Clan Moriarty

Back to top Go down

Post by MilkyFresh on Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:17 am

fuuuuck

WHY MONKEY, WHY?
No one loves a prick,
No one loves a coffee sniffing motherfucker.
MilkyFresh
Wizard of Piss

Leprechaun Gold : 38820
Pineapple Power : 22738
Alignment : Arseheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Pararaptor on Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:32 am

Shit sucks man. We're well on our way down the slippery slope now.
Pararaptor
10 Foot Tall Walking Avocado

Leprechaun Gold : 63917
Pineapple Power : 50698

http://steamcommunity.com/id/pararaptor

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:45 am

I use kat more often these days anyway, so it doesn't really effect me, but it's the sentiment that counts.

I don't think they're legally allowed to do that without a referendum, but if there's one country that will bend over and spread its arse wide for American companies, it's Ireland. We're currently selling off shale oil deposits that could earn us billions in 20 years because all our politicians want gold cufflinks NOW

Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:47 pm

That woman trashing the Obama dick-sucking seemed to really be on to something

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:48 pm

Zimmerman is not guilty.

These are positive news

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:44 pm

So many people on reddit claiming they know the answer and 'zimmerman was obviously guilty' when they clearly didn't watch the trial.

Back to top Go down

Post by owyn_merrilin on Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:21 pm

He may not legally be guilty, but he's guilty of creating a bad situation while knowing he had a gun to back him up if things went south. He caused the situation that led to a young man's death, and what's more, did it in a cowardly manner.

We don't have a justice system, we have a legal system.
owyn_merrilin
Sexy Murder Victim

Leprechaun Gold : 7120
Pineapple Power : 907
Alignment : Chaotic Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Komrade Kharloth on Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:22 pm

Zimmerman might have started the situation but it was Martin who escalated it to what happened, Trayvon could have just asked Zimmerman why he's following him instead of acting like the nigger he is and jumping him.

If someone decides to attack someone for following them, then fuck them, don't be surprised when you get a round in the stomach when you're slamming someone's head into the concrete.

Μολών λαβέ

Komrade Kharloth
God's Hero-man

Back to top Go down

Post by owyn_merrilin on Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:35 pm

But how do we know Martin attacked Zimmerman? All we have to go on is the word of the man who admitted to pulling the trigger. What I got out of this case is I can go around killing whoever I want, as long as I make sure there's no witnesses and I look appropriately beaten up by the time the cops get to me.
owyn_merrilin
Sexy Murder Victim

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:45 pm

I'm with Kharloth on this. In accordance with Lockian philosophy, he who attempts to violate a man's right to his own property, that including his own body and life, instantly loses his own right to life until the situation makes it possible for the socially designated justice system to apprehend him, or if he leaves his victim long enough for the latter to call for said justice system. 

Basically, while stalking someone ain't a very good thing to do, it's no justification for assault, while assault is a definite justification for killing in self defense.

But really, this is a moral debate, and it's tricky to find a true answer. Facts are hard to find when discussing morals. What is a fact, however, is that this case was nothing but a series of unfortunate events riddled with poor judgement from both parties. It has nothing to do with racism, Zimmerman wasn't completely guilty and Trayvon wasn't completely innocent, and nothing of it is as black and white as the media has tried to portray it. 

What I've found most aggravating about this case, however, is how obsessed people have been with decrying "Stand your ground" laws, acting as if it's some kind of "Get out of jail free" card for people wanting to shoot others dead. We have similar laws in Sweden, and there's no such controversy here, because the lack of a gun element removes the ideological debate from the issue. It's a simple law: If you can defend yourself from an aggressor, you should be allowed to do so. You can even use a gun in defense in Sweden, if you are legally allowed to own it. Stating that it lets people kill others "because they felt they were in danger" simply isn't true. If you're not in a life threatening situation, it's not okay to use your gun. If you weren't in a life threatening situation and did so anyway, you're going to jail for it. There's no slippery slope fallacy here.

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:08 pm

owyn_merrilin wrote:But how do we know Martin attacked Zimmerman? All we have to go on is the word of the man who admitted to pulling the trigger. What I got out of this case is I can go around killing whoever I want, as long as I make sure there's no witnesses and I look appropriately beaten up by the time the cops get to me.

I'm sorry, Owyn, I really respect you and all, but in my opinion you couldn't be more wrong. Not only was the final verdict based on more than purely Zimmerman's account of the event, but your argument that it shows people you can get away with murder as long as there aren't witnesses seems to me to be both far-fetched and simplistic. As I stated in my previous comment, we have a similar law here in Sweden called "nödvärnsrätt", and as such I could just as well state that I could murder anyone here in Sweden as long as no witnesses are around when it happens. But such an argument ignores two important facts:

1. Such effects need to be weighed against the benefits of the law in question. All of life consists of trade offs, there are no Utopian solutions, and as such we need to look at the relationship between the costs and gains of enacting a law such as this. Sure, the scenario you just brought up could reasonably happen, but in order to stop such scenarios from occurring, people who'd find themselves to be in legitimately dangerous situations could suffer consequences more severe than had they done would the law still be in existence. Of course there are risks of people misusing such a law, but that's what a court of law is for; To determine whether or not you have acted within legal means. 

2. Such effects are not likely to happen. At most you'll get people shooting others under the false assumption that it is protected by the law, but you'd probably have to wait for decades for anyone to get away with premeditated killing by claiming self defense. It'd be very suspect if someone ended up shooting someone else whom they had a motive to kill, but having done so in self defense. Even a perfectly staged crime can be found out because of cross-examinations of witness accounts and the like. Basically, saying that a law lets others kill indiscriminately is easy, but whether or not it can and will actually happen is another matter entirely. Again, I'd like to point out that it wasn't just one man's word against another's, and that another happened to be dead. There were people hearing the commotion, there was a friend on the phone listening in to what was transpiring, there were people on both sides arguing for the innocent nature of either the accused or the victim. In the end, the verdict was based on the examination and cross-examination of several different accounts and characters.

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by owyn_merrilin on Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:41 pm

My thing is that Zimmerman came off as a creepy asshole and a wannabe cop. I know the type, and they're dangerous. A lot more dangerous than the kind of petty criminals (like, admittedly, Martin) they're so scared of. Given that and the way he was basically stalking Martin, I think he at the very least provoked a confrontation, and probably actually started it. I know the law says he was fine, but morally I think he was in the wrong.

My opinion on this may have something to do with growing up in a shitty neighborhood where drug dealers and burglaries actually are common. I've never had to defend myself /because I'm not enough of an idiot to provoke those people./ In fact, one meth lab owner in particular is one of the best neighbors I've ever had...
owyn_merrilin
Sexy Murder Victim

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:05 pm

IMPORTANT

I'm not going to wade into this debate because I don't have enough information to actually contribute anything, so my response would be based on passion and not reason, and who needs that?

But I do want to just seriously put a stop to this constant overt and covert racism that's going on here. I'm all for free speech, but no forum would tolerate this kind of stuff unless it was specifically about racism or it wasn't moderated at all. The way I see it, it's all a slippery slope.

I don't particularly see Mellow Leprechauns' defining attitude as an openness to racial slurs, and I hope to hell others don't too. As well as moral complaints, I have  a purely selfish reason, as this website is a very short number of clicks from my name, and I don't want to be associated with that stuff.  

Never let it be said I'm a tyrannical ruler, or much of a ruler at all, but in this case I'm putting my foot down. No more, from anyone.

Now joke and cajole as much as you want, because unlike a few people say, it is actually quite easy to tell when people are being jokingly racist. But this weird, extremist shit needs to go. It cannot become normal.
The conversational quality will not suffer with its loss.

Kharloth, addressing you specifically, that was clearly not a joke what you said above. Viewing it without any context, as people will, saying 'acting like the nigger he is' looks like full on hardcore racism. Whatever about any discussions about playing characters, exaggerating for the crowd or ironic usage, it's too far.

Sorry to intrude into your debate, and by all means continue, but I felt I had to reinforce what this forum's about, and what it's not.

Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:10 pm

If I were being overtly or covertly racist, please highlight where I was so. I am deeply ashamed if I have given the impression that I hold racist beliefs.

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:12 pm

No one specifically named, I just wanted to draw attention to the example above. Rather than debating specifics, I wish to challenge a tone I have noticed.

For the record, I don't think you're a racist, Ben. In fact, I don't think anyone on here is a racist, really.

Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:21 pm

Good. Then my disguise is still working... WORLD DOMINATION, HERE I COME

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:35 pm

BEN'S MUTANT TEENYBOPPER ARMY IS UNSTOPPABLE

WHY DID WE NOT RACISM THEM TO DEATH WHEN WE HAD THE CHANCE

Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by owyn_merrilin on Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:45 pm

BECAUSE THE REJECTS FROM DISNEY'S GENETIC POPSTAR ENGINEERING PROGRAM ARE SO CHEAP
owyn_merrilin
Sexy Murder Victim

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:52 pm

Now that the program has been perfected, they are no longer needed. They shall explode the world over, and you will all die

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Wiggles on Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:51 pm

Yeah man, I know exactly what you mean. I've noticed it and I'm probably pretty guilty of it myself but you're right. We're all reasonable people and I think it's fair enough that as the person most heavily tied to this site, it's not fair that those statements, said in earnest or otherwise, should reflect on you as a person. And they will. If you ever become famous (outside of Irish TV anyway) that is the sort of thing the media laps up like a dog eating sick. And there are just too many examples these days of people who shouldn't be in the paper making an appearance purely over something from the internet. I don't care about if some well-paid suit implied sexual promiscuity online!

Especially in your line of work boyo! Don't want to be known by anyone (media or otherwise) as "the quy with his own personal Stormfront".

I know how this sounds like a violation of all things Mellep but we ought to chuck this in the rules. Because whilst I think it's fair enough, that's cause we have pretty similar views on a lot of shit. I'm happy to be associated with all the druggie discussion cause I indulge in that lifestyle and I contribute to those topics so it's only fair enough I get tarred with that brush but what I'm, trying to say is, regardless of our own views, you have to accept that whatever goes down on here has the potential to affect all of us. There is a foreseeable situation in which, this place will be purely recognized as a "substance abuse forum" (I think some people do already) and what I'm trying to get to is, we're basically drugs, gore and sex are okay but racism is bad. I just realized that I could sum up the point I was trying to make there with "by making decisions about what is not acceptable, we are still shaping what is seen as acceptable and as a result, still influencing how we are perceived despite that being what we would seek to escape".

Although in fairness, I'm pretty sure I had a right paddy a while back over someone or other using a caricature of a Jew as their avatar. 

Then again I'm only on here for another 38 days so this really isn't my problem at all!

.Belgianness

You can buy a dream or two to last you all the years, and the only price you'll pay is a heart full of tears.
Mr. Wiggles
Professional Green Tea Enthusiast. It cures Space Aids dontcha know?

Leprechaun Gold : 26799
Pineapple Power : 15453
Alignment : Semi-sadistic Tea-drinking Schizophrenic

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Wiggles on Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:52 pm

Basically, whenever I do anything, I have to ruthlessly defend it to justify the effort I used in doing, for further examples please see above.

You can buy a dream or two to last you all the years, and the only price you'll pay is a heart full of tears.
Mr. Wiggles
Professional Green Tea Enthusiast. It cures Space Aids dontcha know?

Leprechaun Gold : 26799
Pineapple Power : 15453
Alignment : Semi-sadistic Tea-drinking Schizophrenic

Back to top Go down

Post by owyn_merrilin on Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:58 pm

As a teacher (or rather, a recent graduate with an education degree who is trying to get a job as a teacher), the racism and drug talk is something that worries me to a certain extent. The drug talk less so, since it's buried in subforums you can't even see without an account, but the racism is in all of the forums.

Personally I don't really care what other people say or do as long as it doesn't hurt anybody, but my future employers probably will. Public education is horror story after horror story about teachers being fired because they got caught being human beings. It used to be they could do it discreetly, now the internet makes that impossible.
owyn_merrilin
Sexy Murder Victim

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:22 am

We'll make you disappear, Owyn. You will reemerge as Dorris Kerry. None of this will ever have happened. In fact, none of it has

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:32 am

Yeah, that's pretty much it. I'd hate that the lasting legacy of this place is to be a big tarring brush, haunting us beyond its inevitable demise whenever anyone gets too interested in us and decides to trawl the ancient internet archives. It never goes away, unfortunately, all this data.

Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by ggggggggggg on Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:17 am

Yeah I had to change my name back to Icy Lemon because I don't want my regular name being associated with this site. 

It's fine on 4chan where you're anonymous but this shit is gonna stay with you from here.

ggggggggggg
Kay-Ron, Destroyer of Worlds

Leprechaun Gold : 29357
Pineapple Power : 21476

Back to top Go down

Post by ggggggggggg on Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:21 am

Sensible Leprechauns.

ggggggggggg

Back to top Go down

Post by Xandy on Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:51 am

sounds like juden talk to me

Wu-Tang is for the children!
Xandy
Halfblood Prince of Persia

Leprechaun Gold : 24774
Pineapple Power : 1164
Alignment : Chaotic Faggy

Back to top Go down

Post by ggggggggggg on Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:15 am

you're a silly sponge

ggggggggggg

Back to top Go down

Post by ggggggggggg on Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:21 am

years from now people will misconstrue this site as a brilliant surrealist stream of consciousness epic

ggggggggggg

Back to top Go down

Post by Komrade Kharloth on Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:24 am

By the whole 'acting like a nigger' thing, I wasn't referring to his skin color, but behavior that included drug dealing, multiple school suspensions and fist fights, to me Trayvon was nothing more than a hood rat with a temper, his past and social media presence indicated that.

Μολών λαβέ

Komrade Kharloth
God's Hero-man

Back to top Go down

Post by ggggggggggg on Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:41 am

that still oounds kinda racist dude

ggggggggggg

Back to top Go down

Post by Pararaptor on Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:14 am

The nigger =/= black person thing really doesn't fly as well as it should.
Pararaptor
10 Foot Tall Walking Avocado

Leprechaun Gold : 63917
Pineapple Power : 50698

http://steamcommunity.com/id/pararaptor

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:24 am

@Kharloth: How is it even possible to refer to someone as a nigger and not be talking about their skin colour? The word itself refers specifically to one skin colour. There's no way to disentangle that word from race.

Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 18 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top