Mental Health and Shit.

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mental Health and Shit.

Post by Mr. Wiggles on Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:43 pm

Long story short... The last few months have been pretty strenuous for me and basically, I've slipped back into that cycle of what I would call depression. I'm fine at the moment. I don't feel constantly bombarded by this shit but when I'm alone it fucking kills me. I have plenty of friends but I don't really have any friends close enough to talk to about this stuff, and lately I've been thinking that it would be better to speak to someone professionally before it gets worse. I have a gap year in a few months and my A levels so I don't really have time for to be the way I am. Does anyone have any advice or any idea how I go about this? And how confidential is it?

I feel like a dick just walking up to my doctor and spilling my guts because to be honest I don't feel comfortable speaking about it with anyone. (Although I have decided I'm going to have to speak to someone). Do I tell a counsellor at my college? Although do is put me in touch with outside agencies but it'll probably mean mentioning things I don't want mentioned.

Apologies if this isn't particularly eloquent, emotions are hard to type

Last edited by Mr. Wiggles on Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:22 am; edited 1 time in total

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You can buy a dream or two to last you all the years, and the only price you'll pay is a heart full of tears.
Mr. Wiggles
Professional Green Tea Enthusiast. It cures Space Aids dontcha know?

Leprechaun Gold : 26680
Pineapple Power : 15453
Alignment : Semi-sadistic Tea-drinking Schizophrenic

Back to top Go down

Re: Mental Health and Shit.

Post by Pararaptor on Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:39 pm

While it may not necessarily help it's not gonna hurt to go see your College counsellor, you don't have to go see anyone else if you don't want to.
Pararaptor
10 Foot Tall Walking Avocado

Leprechaun Gold : 63798
Pineapple Power : 50698

http://steamcommunity.com/id/pararaptor

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Wiggles on Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:52 pm

I dunno man I've spoken to the guy before and he's okay but even after me just raising the issue that my family's history of mental heath worries me and he suggested I speak to some other charities that dealt with counselling. Also I admitted having smoked weed in the past and he got all uppity about the college's views on matters (despite me not being in college when I told him I had done it).

If I speak to him, I'll have to censor significant parts of my life which can't otherwise be explained basically.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You can buy a dream or two to last you all the years, and the only price you'll pay is a heart full of tears.
Mr. Wiggles

Back to top Go down

Post by Pararaptor on Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:09 am

Oh right.
Then the most advice I can offer you is to look after your body and maybe set a goal in something you enjoy doing.

Not really qualified for this, sorry.
Pararaptor

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Wiggles on Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:24 am

Aha don't worry about it mate, I was sort of seeking recommendations on what professionals I can speak to not sure I made it clear but its still much appreciated man.

Mr. Wiggles

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:29 am

You live in the UK? Can't you go see a GP and ask for a recommendation practically for free? There will be free suicide hotlines if you're worried.

Do you think weed is partially to blame?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3hVc2hWYxg

What follows is my sanctimonious, unsolicited opinion. Open at your own risk!
Spoiler:

I can't speak first hand because I have 'good mental health'. I went through a phase of suicidal idealization and stuff like that, but I think that was just hormonal. I'm glad I didn't see a psychiatrist. I regret telling a few people about it because I feel its marred their image of me. So if you need to tell someone, a quack is the best person to speak to.

Of the people I know who see a quack, all of them seem addicted to talking about themselves and their 'problem'. I personally think its important to just be honest with yourself and why exactly you're unhappy. If there's not something legit messed up in your head you're A LOT better off not getting hooked on a cycle of anti-depressants and doctor shopping.

The whole psychiatrist/psychology business seems aimed at stringing people along and not solving anything. The only real solution, as opposed to a mask, is to be happy. Refuse to accept that you're 'mentally ill' and rather that you hold a certain opinion at the moment and you WANT to challenge it. Rather than having someone, or some chemical, change it for you.
A pretty cool quote:

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

Fear is to me as hope. Both are mental illness, obsessions with the unreal.

Sorry if I insulted anyone.

What's your philosophy on life if you had to boil it down to a category?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meaning_of_life

Back to top Go down

Post by NightSwimming on Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:32 am

Wigs, I've been dealing with anxiety & depression for almost 2 years now. My long story short is that it began February last year. I moved around a lot trying to deal with it, and not understanding it, on my own. Christmas time I returned home and after festivities I didn't get out of bed for 6 weeks. I then went to a GP. She was a doctor I had never seen before. I went in there and broke down in tears within 2 minutes. I told her how I was feeling and she prescribed me valium and anti-d's. I don't like counselors or psychologists personally.
I would recommend going to a GP that you trust, or a new one like I did and spilling your guts. Take some eye drops so you don't walk out with red eyes and don't worry about anything else. If you've had suicidal thoughts, tell them. Tell them about the last time you smoked weed and be honest about how it makes you feel afterwards - does it spur on the depression?

Night times are the hardest to deal with because you get yourself into shell of self hatred. Nothing much can fix this, but in the mean time try opening your window and sitting by it. Occasionally I'll smoke a cigarette by my window. Focusing on not getting any smoke inside is a simple distraction technique for me. Or sit there and drink a coffee. I drink A LOT of coffee now (but I'm not effected by caffeine) because it's really good to warm your stomach and taste the bitterness.

EDIT: I didn't want to see the college counselor because I think they're full of shit. Like you experienced, they can be judgmental and after all, they're not qualified to give serious, on going mental health advice.

I'm not sure if I've helped at all, but if you ask me any more questions I'll answer them to the best of my abilities. I know that having someone (even online) that has gone through it and can give you even a little advice helps.

First thing we gotta do is get rid of all these shamrocks.
Nothing scares gay folk and black people like Irish crap.
NightSwimming
Sexy Murder Victim

Leprechaun Gold : 4596
Pineapple Power : 415
Alignment : Aged 30. Non Smoker. Liar.

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:06 am

I would suggest counseling only if you know that you trust them enough to give them the whole truth, otherwise it's pointless.

And I can understand why you wouldn't, especially with weed involved. Although of course it exacerbates things, whenever I've said I smoked it to any public health professional it immediately became the source of my problems.

I'm seeing a woman now, very nice. My dad put her in touch with me. She's private, so it's fucking expensive, but she's so easy to talk to it's actually worth it.

I think I've always had anxiety and depression, as long as I can remember. What happens is I get panic attacks, and they wear me down a lot, and it's when I'm worn down that I get depressed.

A non-narcotic thing that always helped me was a long walk or a cycle next to water, preferably running water. A remarkably good cure.

This device will make me famous
This device will make me fly
This device will make me holy
This device defies all laws

Laws that are stupid, and make no sense.

Big Black, Newman Generator

The New Adventures of Momo Murphy
Furburt
Arrested For Copying Dogs

Leprechaun Gold : 71897
Pineapple Power : 42707
Alignment : The Clan MacGinty, the Clan Nangle, The Clan O'Neill and the Clan Moriarty

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Wiggles on Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:34 pm

FUCK!!!! Just lost that entire post to page reloadings!

The gist of it was I don't smoke weed often anymore (3 times in as many months, two of which were the fault of that begotten money-grubber PayJ!). Although I have been smoking for a few years now so maybe it has been accumulative.

also I should explain I'm not constantly depressed but that's mostly because I'm constantly doing something or other. But often when I stop, I get rather down, (fortunately I learnt a long time ago that I don't think if I sleep with music on). I find minor things happen go wrong and I can blow them out of proportion. For example, I failed a theory test the other day and couldn't stop crying for a while. Which is unusual as I always say close friends have died and I have never shed a tear.

Something tells me that talking to someone would help somehow and I do have many things to get off my chest but I'm not sure if I should bother going to the trouble of making an appointment with my GP or whatever, if it doesn't really affect me. Also getting doctors/coundsellors/therapists involved over it seems overreacting when it's not constant. Besides from what Stinky says, I'm thinking it could be hormonal but exacerbated by the events or vice versa.

I think I may have lost the point I was trying to make here. The other post was much better goddamnit...

Essentially, it would be good to talk to someone but I'm now thinking that doctor's probably aren't the best route.

Oh and if I had to boil it down, it would be that there is not a meaning to life but it is only human to try and find one.

Mr. Wiggles

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Wiggles on Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:11 pm

Forgot the most important bit of that.

Thanks guys reading about your experiences is insightful, I don't think I'm going to bother with professional help unless it gets worse.

Mr. Wiggles

Back to top Go down

Post by MilkyFresh on Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:07 pm

How's it all going man?

If you do decide to see anybody about this my only advice, and it seems obvious when you say it, is don't expect that just going to the sessions is going to fix you. You have to find somebody that you can be one hundred percent honest with, and even then it's still really in your own hands. I went through a couple of psychiatrists and spent a fair amount of time on antidepressants, in the end the only thing that helped me was just constantly telling myself that I had no reason or right to be unhappy. Be harsh with yourself, but don't let that turn into unproductive self hating bullshit. This isn't gunna work for everyone, but I just refused to accept that I was depressed and after a few months I legitimately broke out of it. That's not to say that I have particularly strong willpower, I don't, it's just the approach that worked for me. I don't recommend medication except as a last resort. It doesn't really fix anything, it just kind of deadens your emotions and prolongs the inevitable time when you actually have to deal with them. That was my experience anyway.

WHY MONKEY, WHY?
No one loves a prick,
No one loves a coffee sniffing motherfucker.
MilkyFresh
Wizard of Piss

Leprechaun Gold : 38701
Pineapple Power : 22738
Alignment : Arseheart

Back to top Go down

Post by MilkyFresh on Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:10 pm

Another thing.
I cried and whinged to anybody who'd listen and it still makes me cringe to think about how that has changed everybody's perception of me. By all means find somebody to talk to, but don't dump all your problems on them.

WHY MONKEY, WHY?
No one loves a prick,
No one loves a coffee sniffing motherfucker.
MilkyFresh
Wizard of Piss

Leprechaun Gold : 38701
Pineapple Power : 22738
Alignment : Arseheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:22 pm

Yeah, I'm also still embarrassed. Getting drunk and having violent existential crisis are the pitfalls of my life.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pararaptor on Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:49 am

Oh FUCK that shit. I had a couple few months where I cried every time I got drunk.
Bleggghhhhhhhh
Pararaptor

Back to top Go down

Post by PayJ on Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:54 am

@Wiggles: I can't offer much advice as my method for breaking out of depression doesn't seem to work for many other people. I personally would stay away from councellors and weed in general. Everyone else seems more qualified than me cause I just bottle it all up and use it elsewhere.

"Fix me a hot dog with jelly on
I've had cravings since withdrawing from
Low grade acid and cocaine bumps
I can't sleep at night or hold a decent job."
-Matt Berry
PayJ
And I'll Do Fitness

Leprechaun Gold : 47343
Pineapple Power : 22778
Alignment : Right or Left

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Wiggles on Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:34 pm

This just made me change my mind. It's probably not worth getting help over, it probably is worth talking to someone about.

Mr. Wiggles

Back to top Go down

Post by ggggggggggg on Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:40 am

I could never go to a psychiatrist or therapist, it just feels too fake and clinical. I wouldn't even talk to my parents about that stuff let alone some guy that's paid to listen to me babble. 'Course everyone is different.

But yeah definitely find someone you trust to confide in. I wouldn't say I'm depressed anymore, but telling my girlfriend about my history with it felt very good after years of bottling things up.

ggggggggggg
Kay-Ron, Destroyer of Worlds

Leprechaun Gold : 29238
Pineapple Power : 21476

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:04 am

I changed what music I listened to and it made me feel different. Amazing what an impact things like that have.

Still though, if its chemicals and shit in your head I guess you might need to see someone who has a Dr in front of their name.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Wiggles on Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:34 am

I don't know. I haven't really got a mate who I am close enough to without things being awkward.

Fuck it, I'll justleave things be and if I still have these things when I reach that position I'll make a decision then.

Mr. Wiggles

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:47 am

If you get a good therapist they're actually easier to talk to than you think. You do have to pay, though. I had a few national health ones and I always ended up lying to them.

For some reason though, the person I'm seeing now is very easy to be totally candid with in a way that I'm not with any of my friends. I suppose some people make it easy to present the complete picture of yourself to.

Furburt

Alignment : The Clan MacGinty, the Clan Nangle, The Clan O'Neill and the Clan Moriarty

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Wiggles on Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:34 pm

I don't doubt what you say but for me to reach to that position I would have to explain everything to my parents at some stage, which is not a pleasant thought. It just wouldn't be possible to keep that private or at least hidden from my parents.

Mr. Wiggles

Back to top Go down

Post by NightSwimming on Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:28 am

How are you going with things, Wigs? You've been caught up in the homo shit recently, I know. How is everything else? Or has it just been piled on top of everything?

NightSwimming
Sexy Murder Victim

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Wiggles on Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:10 pm

I can't think of a decent way of saying this but yes. My problems only accumulate. A few weeks my outlook was getting better then this came along and put me in a state of confusion and shit and now, I just have more and more things fucking me around.

This morning, I cried because the bus was late. Haha It's not that I have a strong feeling that transport operators should keep to their word even in winter. It was just like I dunno.... fuck... just depressing that things were only getting more fucked up.

The thing is I don't really have a friend who knows the whole picture. I can chat to my best mate about bi, but there's too much other shit for to be springing upon him and he won't be able to offer me any advice anyway. Because of the situation, I guess it's shit I have to deal with alone at the end of day.

Mr. Wiggles

Back to top Go down

Post by NightSwimming on Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:55 am

Have you always had an attraction to men that you thought was, I suppose, what 'everyone else' felt? I began my bi-dilemma when I was aged 13. I kept it well and truly hidden until I was 18 when I told my best friend. Or has sleeping with a man kind of brought it up and now you don't know where you stand?

I've done the crying thing before. I cried because mum bought the wrong cereal once.

Well, if you ever need someone to vent to, or chat to about it, I'll be skulking about the internet everyday.

NightSwimming
Sexy Murder Victim

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Wiggles on Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:47 am

I don't know really. I've always had an eye for the male figure and when I was younger I used to have what can only be described as gay feelings but I mostly wrote that off to hormones or whatever. I've always considered myself straight. Fuck even after having sex with a guy, it did not occur to me that I probably wasn't straight but yeah it is more or less the latter. I have mentioned it to a few people but yeah...

It's not a good feeling. I'm not even upset most of the time but minor shit like that just sends me over the brink.

And thanks Ness, I really appreciate that, Facebook or Skype next time your online or something. Thanks a lot though it's really nice just to talk to someone.

Mr. Wiggles

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:15 am

I hope your realisation leads you to a happy place, as I'm sure it will eventually.

My flatmate's the opposite, he was almost certain he was gay and now he's feeling feelings for a girl that he knew for years without any romance at all. It's a very confusing world, human sexuality. Anyway, absolute best of fortunes, because I hate to see you all torn up.

And now, a reasurring ditty.

Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by PayJ on Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:30 am

Dan's playing for the winning team again? Has he got back into drinking yet?

Last edited by PayJ on Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total

-Matt Berry
PayJ
And I'll Do Fitness

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:37 am

No, he's still half gay, but only for Bradan. And he is drinking, when we're low on stuffy stuff, he likes to get a few beers (3-4), and I a couple of gin and pepsis, watch a stupid film and shout at it.

Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by PayJ on Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:51 am

I'll have to come up for a late new years eve night out at some point.

-Matt Berry
PayJ
And I'll Do Fitness

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:54 am

And there will be much merriment.

Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by PayJ on Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:55 am

I will have to get you wrecked I'm afraid. Turn it up to 4 G&T's.

-Matt Berry
PayJ
And I'll Do Fitness

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:59 am

I was on a good 2/3rds of a bottle there recently. Went through a lot of pepsi, anyway. Dan's old flatmate came up and we watched the Late Late Toy Show. Be thankful your country does not know what that is.

Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by PayJ on Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:23 am

2/3rds of a bottle I'm impressed mang. Sounds like it'll be a decent drinking session. Also I saw a "kids" puppet show on late once that just had loads of violence and puppet sex.

-Matt Berry
PayJ
And I'll Do Fitness

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:28 am

This is far more innocent, and yet, far more sinister.

Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by PayJ on Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:29 am

Sounds interesting...

-Matt Berry
PayJ
And I'll Do Fitness

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:38 am

It's not really, it's the opposite of interesting.

Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Wiggles on Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:45 am

@Furburt: Haha Every time I see that song appear, all it makes me think is this.

Mr. Wiggles

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:14 pm

For the first time in my life I'm having trouble dealing with stress. Feels bad man.

Back to top Go down

Post by PayJ on Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:49 pm

What's happening broham? You are an in control dude.

-Matt Berry
PayJ
And I'll Do Fitness

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:48 am

I dunno man. Probably just the season. Got a lot of commitments and shit to take care of and I'm trying not to take my frustration out on people because I hate when others do that.

Also my legs have been sore for ages so I can't work out and find zen.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top