I be writing a stories

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I be writing a stories

Post by MilkyFresh on Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:37 pm

Oi. I just started writing a story, looking for some feedback. It's going to be set in some hellish approximation of England during the industrial revolution. Probably going to have five or six narrators, whose storylines will merge together eventually, sort of like Game of Thrones. I've only written like 250 words but let me know what you think.

“Through cobbled streets, with fists of mist,
A daemon lurks, 'twas birthed from Styx,
It takes from windows, candid theft,
The firstborn boys, 'till none are left.

It has no form, that's plain to see,
A monster spawned from you and me,
And now it grins from ear to ear,
The Revolution's drawing near.”

I remember my grandmother singing that to me when I was young, curled up by the fireplace in her dark, single room house. The building could impartially be described as a hovel, although I always found it to be a comforting place. It was sunk well below street level and had to be accessed by a soggy wooden door in an alleyway off Loxford Street, an area which was, and still is, something of an epicentre for crime in the industrial district of Tartarakh. From Grandma's armchair against the back wall you could look out of her small, raised window and see the feet of passing business men, street vendors and vagrants. There was nothing to mute the noise of the thriving city above us, and she would often complain of sleepless nights due to the bustling of what she described as “the ravaged masses and the wicked whip machines of their insatiable overseers”. She had a poetic manner not just in her speech, but in her thoughts as well. To her the city was just a construct within which to exploit the poor, the stupid and the wilfully ignorant; anybody who fell outside of those three categories surely had malevolent intentions and was to be regarded as an enemy.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
WHY MONKEY, WHY?
No one loves a prick,
No one loves a coffee sniffing motherfucker.

MilkyFresh
Wizard of Piss

Leprechaun Gold : 38492
Pineapple Power : 22738
Alignment : Arseheart

Back to top Go down

Re: I be writing a stories

Post by Furburt on Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:42 pm

I like the atmosphere already. Much better than more high fantasy medieval bullshit. Reads very well too. I'd suggest establishing a vernacular, make sure each character has a consistent way of talking so the audience has an in to this new world.

Ever hear of Gormenghast? Written by a friend of JRR Tolkien's in the 30's, it's all about a decaying castle ruled over by a squabbling family. The time period is a bit before yours but it has the best descriptions of decay I've ever read.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
This device will make me famous
This device will make me fly
This device will make me holy
This device defies all laws

Laws that are stupid, and make no sense.

Big Black, Newman Generator

The New Adventures of Momo Murphy

Furburt
Arrested For Copying Dogs

Leprechaun Gold : 71688
Pineapple Power : 42707
Alignment : The Clan MacGinty, the Clan Nangle, The Clan O'Neill and the Clan Moriarty

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by MilkyFresh on Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:47 pm

Furburt wrote:I like the atmosphere already. Much better than more high fantasy medieval bullshit. Reads very well too. I'd suggest establishing a vernacular, make sure each character has a consistent way of talking so the audience has an in to this new world.

Ever hear of Gormenghast? Written by a friend of JRR Tolkien's in the 30's, it's all about a decaying castle ruled over by a squabbling family. The time period is a bit before yours but it has the best descriptions of decay I've ever read.
Thanks dude, appreciate it. I've already got a couple of different ways of speaking lined up for some characters, that shit is important. Grandma, for instance, in inspired by melodramatic Irish battle poets.

Never heard of Gormenghast, I might give it a read. Been looking for something new and that sounds pretty up my alley.

WHY MONKEY, WHY?
No one loves a prick,

MilkyFresh
Wizard of Piss

Back to top Go down

Post by ggggggggggg on Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:53 pm

You have a great writing style. I have a strong feel for the place just from that little paragraph. When I'm not so busy, do you mind if I illustrate little snippets of this from time to time?

ggggggggggg
Kay-Ron, Destroyer of Worlds

Leprechaun Gold : 29029
Pineapple Power : 21476

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:55 pm

Oh shit yeah.

Furburt

Alignment : The Clan MacGinty, the Clan Nangle, The Clan O'Neill and the Clan Moriarty

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Wiggles on Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:02 pm

I agree with all of the above. When I read to this, I feel myself gently sliding into the warm bath of immersion and I don't want to leave. You sir are a mighty fine raconteur!

You can buy a dream or two to last you all the years, and the only price you'll pay is a heart full of tears.

Mr. Wiggles
Professional Green Tea Enthusiast. It cures Space Aids dontcha know?

Leprechaun Gold : 26471
Pineapple Power : 15453
Alignment : Semi-sadistic Tea-drinking Schizophrenic

Back to top Go down

Post by PayJ on Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:04 pm

You got a real feel for the atmosphere in such a short paragraph. That's real talent.

"Fix me a hot dog with jelly on
I've had cravings since withdrawing from
Low grade acid and cocaine bumps
I can't sleep at night or hold a decent job."
-Matt Berry

PayJ
And I'll Do Fitness

Leprechaun Gold : 47134
Pineapple Power : 22778
Alignment : Right or Left

Back to top Go down

Post by ggggggggggg on Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:06 pm

Dibs on sucking Milky's dick first.

ggggggggggg

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:09 pm

Nay, retreat from the blackened stump, it brings only misery and war!

Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by ggggggggggg on Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:13 pm

Oh fine. But only because I have to go now anyways.

ggggggggggg

Back to top Go down

Post by MilkyFresh on Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:02 am

VezaRez wrote:You have a great writing style. I have a strong feel for the place just from that little paragraph. When I'm not so busy, do you mind if I illustrate little snippets of this from time to time?
I would love that man, go nuts. Every time I get a couple of pages done I'll post them on this page.
Mr. Wiggles wrote:I agree with all of the above. When I read to this, I feel myself gently sliding into the warm bath of immersion and I don't want to leave. You sir are a mighty fine raconteur!

PayJ wrote:You got a real feel for the atmosphere in such a short paragraph. That's real talent.
Thanks everybody, I'm glad you all like it so far :mac:

WHY MONKEY, WHY?
No one loves a prick,

MilkyFresh
Wizard of Piss

Back to top Go down

Post by Pararaptor on Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:59 am

VezaRez wrote:Dibs on sucking Milky's dick first.
TOO LATE NIGGER

Milky dear, what do you mean by hellish? So it is fantasy or what?

Pararaptor
10 Foot Tall Walking Avocado

Leprechaun Gold : 63589
Pineapple Power : 50698

http://steamcommunity.com/id/pararaptor

Back to top Go down

Post by MilkyFresh on Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:34 am

Yeah, it's fantasy. Probably nothing insanely far fetched, but not grounded in historical accuracy either. A frightening and disturbing place based on 1800s England. Loosely.
Possibly with some allusions to Greek mythology mixed in.

WHY MONKEY, WHY?
No one loves a prick,

MilkyFresh
Wizard of Piss

Back to top Go down

Post by NightSwimming on Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:25 am

Brilliant work Milks, I can't wait to read more. As everyone has said, you've managed to suck us all into the story in only one paragraph. Well done, man!

First thing we gotta do is get rid of all these shamrocks.
Nothing scares gay folk and black people like Irish crap.

NightSwimming
Sexy Murder Victim

Leprechaun Gold : 4387
Pineapple Power : 415
Alignment : Aged 30. Non Smoker. Liar.

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:53 am

You've managed to suck us all.

Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:57 am

Thank the Academy, bitch! THANK THE FUCKING ACADEMY!

Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by MilkyFresh on Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:36 am

TrollEd

WHY MONKEY, WHY?
No one loves a prick,

MilkyFresh
Wizard of Piss

Back to top Go down

Post by Pararaptor on Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:26 pm

MilkyFresh wrote:Yeah, it's fantasy. Probably nothing insanely far fetched, but not grounded in historical accuracy either. A frightening and disturbing place based on 1800s England. Loosely.
Possibly with some allusions to Greek mythology mixed in.
Huh. I did a similar thing in that semester where I learned I couldn't write for shit.
There was far-fetched stuff though.

Pararaptor

Back to top Go down

Post by MilkyFresh on Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:05 pm

A little more.

Fourteen years have passed since then, and I can't even be sure that Grandma's house still exists. It's likely to have fallen into disrepair after her death, as my father had as much interest in its maintenance as he does in the well-being of his children, who I am told are numerous and misbegotten. I am undoubtedly the only member of his brood with the capacity to read or write, a privilege I have my grandmother to thank for. After I was born she took me in and gave me an upbringing that was every bit as emotionally warm as it was physically cold, due to the fact that we could only light a fire if I managed to scrounge up dry firewood in a wet city, which was more often the result of happenstance than any particular skill on my part. Nonetheless, whatever moments of sadness I had growing up were more than offset by the benefits of the education I was receiving and the love of my grandmother. Life didn't truly start to get difficult until she died, which in some ways seemed to be the best possible outcome of her illness. She was losing her sanity day by day, her poetic rants about society slowly being replaced by inane babbling, vile obscenities spewing from her mouth, or rather the mouth that was once hers, only to be followed immediately by prolonged, delirious cackling. I remember one occasion when I returned home late after visiting the fish market, my mouth bloodied from tripping over in my hurry to get home before nightfall. I expected her to chastise me for making her worried, or to fuss over my broken lip and tell me how relieved she was that I was home safe. Instead I burst through the door to find her sitting in the darkest corner of the room, farthest from the window. She turned her head to face me and declared that she had thrown out the armchair. She no longer found it pleasing to sit on, and what's more she didn't feel that it had her well-being at heart. The remaining year of her life played out through a series of extreme highs and lows, both marked by bizarre, inexplicable behaviour. By the time she passed on I had found myself dreading coming home every day, finding her body was almost a relief.

WHY MONKEY, WHY?
No one loves a prick,

MilkyFresh
Wizard of Piss

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:08 pm

Damn good stuff sir. It's a bit Dickensian, actually.

One thing though, you gotta do a bit of formatting. My eyes kept falling off the paragraph.

Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by MilkyFresh on Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:18 pm

Oh shit, I didn't even notice. I absolutely do.

WHY MONKEY, WHY?
No one loves a prick,

MilkyFresh
Wizard of Piss

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:35 pm

Honestly, ever since you wrote that shit about mandibles I've been looking forward to this.
5/6 narrators sounds like a clusterfuck though.

Back to top Go down

Post by MilkyFresh on Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:45 pm

I agree actually, been thinking I'll reduce it to two or three. Get more developed characters that way.

WHY MONKEY, WHY?
No one loves a prick,

MilkyFresh
Wizard of Piss

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Wiggles on Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:50 pm

MilkyFresh wrote:I agree actually, been thinking I'll reduce it to two or three. Get more developed characters that way.

Definitely. Each narrator ought to be different in order to be interesting and with six or so narrators, it can be very difficult to maintain this. One of the worst books, I read had five plus narrators. It just made every chapter feel like a tangent with out there being a main plot line.

You can buy a dream or two to last you all the years, and the only price you'll pay is a heart full of tears.

Mr. Wiggles

Back to top Go down

Post by PayJ on Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:53 pm

I don't normally like fictional stories but I could see myself following this.

"Fix me a hot dog with jelly on
I've had cravings since withdrawing from
Low grade acid and cocaine bumps
I can't sleep at night or hold a decent job."
-Matt Berry

PayJ
And I'll Do Fitness

Leprechaun Gold : 47134
Pineapple Power : 22778
Alignment : Right or Left

Back to top Go down

Post by MilkyFresh on Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:15 pm

Mr. Wiggles wrote:
MilkyFresh wrote:I agree actually, been thinking I'll reduce it to two or three. Get more developed characters that way.

Definitely. Each narrator ought to be different in order to be interesting and with six or so narrators, it can be very difficult to maintain this. One of the worst books, I read had five plus narrators. It just made every chapter feel like a tangent with out there being a main plot line.
At the same time, Game of Thrones is one of the best fantasy books I've ever read, and that had... five? six? I forget. But I'm not George R. R. Martin.

WHY MONKEY, WHY?
No one loves a prick,

MilkyFresh
Wizard of Piss

Back to top Go down

Post by Alkaline on Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:18 pm

Bloody good stuff, my man. Very Happy

Xandy wrote:
MilkyFresh wrote:DO MEEEE

DO MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Fuck Milky I always knew you were a fag for me.

Alkaline
Refuse to Kill the Same Way Twice

Leprechaun Gold : 6131
Pineapple Power : -582

Back to top Go down

Post by Pararaptor on Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:47 am

Damn, I really want you to complete this now.

Pararaptor

Back to top Go down

Post by NightSwimming on Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:27 am

Oim loven it sick, ay!

First thing we gotta do is get rid of all these shamrocks.
Nothing scares gay folk and black people like Irish crap.

NightSwimming
Sexy Murder Victim

Leprechaun Gold : 4387
Pineapple Power : 415
Alignment : Aged 30. Non Smoker. Liar.

Back to top Go down

Post by MilkyFresh on Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:42 pm

I'll only update when I have a few pages done from now on. I write pretty slowly but I'll bang it up here soon enough.

WHY MONKEY, WHY?
No one loves a prick,

MilkyFresh
Wizard of Piss

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Wiggles on Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:53 pm

NOW YOU ARE UNEMPLOYED WRITE THIS.

Mr. Wiggles

Back to top Go down

Post by MilkyFresh on Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:03 pm

It's still on my computer. Maybe one day (never).

I'm going camping soon, maybe I'll bring a note book and write some more up there.

WHY MONKEY, WHY?
No one loves a prick,

MilkyFresh
Wizard of Piss

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Wiggles on Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:11 pm

MILKY IF I DO NOT SEE AT LEAST A NOVELLA I WILL USE THE FOLLOWING IMAGE.

rageiscontemptable

Mr. Wiggles

Back to top Go down

Post by MilkyFresh on Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:19 pm

:Chef:

WHY MONKEY, WHY?
No one loves a prick,

MilkyFresh
Wizard of Piss

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Wiggles on Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:26 pm

DON'T MAKE ME PISTOL WHIP YOUR ASS!

Mr. Wiggles

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 10:34 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top