Kharloth Reviews: Red Orchestra 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Kharloth Reviews: Red Orchestra 2

Post by Komrade Kharloth on Mon May 28, 2012 7:01 pm

KHARLOTH REVIEWS:
RED ORCHESTRA 2: HEROES OF STALINGRAD.

Red Orchestra 2 is a WW2 FPS set during the Battle of Stalingrad (no shit), it's probably one of the most realistic shooters out right now and while it doesn't have large mainstream popularity, it nonetheless has a good sized cult following. The game is built around multiplayer, so single player is relatively lackluster and sub par compared to the online, but I recommend you play it regardless to get use to the game mechanics and maps, and also to see the amazing intro videos before each mission.

Now onto the game itself. Like I said, Red Orchestra 2 is very realistic, one or two shots to kill a person, realistic bullet physics and recoil and so on. Some people have joked that it's possible to get PTSD from this game, they're not wrong, soldiers in this game don't fall to the ground wordlessly when they die, they scream, cry, choke on their own blood and beg for you to help them, it's a very unsettling feeling when you first start playing and I still get chills from it after months of playing. Much care was put into cultivating a realistic atmosphere, and it paid off, Red Orchestra 2 is the most immersive shooter I've ever played. It's one of the few games where I've actually felt very tense and nervous, creeping along corridors knowing any second I could hear a roar of ZA-STALINA! (for stalin!) and get a rifle but to the back of the skull.

One of the best features of the game is undoubtedly the shooting aspect of it, in alot of FPSs today the shooting feels kind of flat and stale, it's very much a case of hold down mouse button, and watch the bad guys fall over. Not so in Red Orchestra, the atmosphere of tension and unpredictability combined with the realistic shooting mechanics means that you are not some unstoppable machine that can tear through half the enemy team with ease. These things combined means that every kill feels significant, feels like an accomplishment, it's hard to put into words but every time you kill a fascist/bolshevik it gets the adrenaline pumping.

The online play is a combination of the old and the new. You have class based organization, you have all the common game types, territory control, team deathmatch etc, the maps themselves are very fleshed out and each one has a unique feel to it. The game also has an weapon attachment and leveling system, but it's very different from the call of duty model (kill x number of baddies to unlock attachment #54 and another ugly as shit camo for your gun!), guns in the game only have maybe one or two attachments that you can unlock after a good length of play time, the other part is that every time you level up a class or weapon, it's stats get slightly better, less sway when holding a weapon, more ammunition, faster reloading etc. It's virtually indistinguishable when you first level up, but you do notice it and it's a wonderful feeling, that your soldier is getting better and more experienced. This also plays out in the character models, new players will have spotless clean uniforms, older players will look diriter and more tattered, like they've been to hell and back half a dozen times.

Overall, I highly recommend Red Orchestra 2, especially to anyone who dislikes the Call of Duty or Battlefield games like me, I had a blast playing this. The atmosphere and gameplay work extremely well together, creating an addictive and immersive environment with the grim hell of the Battle of Stalingrad.

Final verdict

9/10

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Μολών λαβέ

Komrade Kharloth
God's Hero-man

Leprechaun Gold : 14613
Pineapple Power : 1892
Alignment : Orthodox

Back to top Go down

Re: Kharloth Reviews: Red Orchestra 2

Post by Furburt on Mon May 28, 2012 7:17 pm

Agreed on all points. It just needs more maps (Although Mamayev Kurgan is fucking amazing, it was a great patch overall) and more vehicles to truly reach its potential, although I'm sure Tripwire will provide.
It is my favourite multiplayer game, I've spent 153 hours on it according to steam.

The mods look good as well. None released yet but Rising Storm is almost ready, there's a Finnish Continuation war mod, a Vietnam war mod (also a lot done) and a Portuguese Colonial war mod. Also known as all my favourite things in the world.

Jesus though do those fucks from Red Orchestra 1 need to shut up. There's at least 1 whiner like that on every server, playing the game while ceaselessly complaining, even after the patch that introduced Classic mode (makes Red Orchestra 2 exactly like Red Orchestra 1) came out. Oy vey, entitled fuckers.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
This device will make me famous
This device will make me fly
This device will make me holy
This device defies all laws

Laws that are stupid, and make no sense.

Big Black, Newman Generator

The New Adventures of Momo Murphy
Furburt
Arrested For Copying Dogs

Leprechaun Gold : 71960
Pineapple Power : 42707
Alignment : The Clan MacGinty, the Clan Nangle, The Clan O'Neill and the Clan Moriarty

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Mon May 28, 2012 7:18 pm

Also, if you haven't yet, turn on native voices. Instantly doubled how absorbed I was in the game hearing battle cries in Russian and German. And the Germans aren't as weirdly high pitched and whiny as they are in English, which is great.

I know almost all the chatter off by heart now, so I can figure out what they're saying.

Furburt

Alignment : The Clan MacGinty, the Clan Nangle, The Clan O'Neill and the Clan Moriarty

Back to top Go down

Post by PayJ on Mon May 28, 2012 7:26 pm

Sweet review. Makes me want this patch to download even more but it keeps killing my internets. Damn you Bruce Lee!

"Fix me a hot dog with jelly on
I've had cravings since withdrawing from
Low grade acid and cocaine bumps
I can't sleep at night or hold a decent job."
-Matt Berry
PayJ
And I'll Do Fitness

Leprechaun Gold : 47406
Pineapple Power : 22778
Alignment : Right or Left

Back to top Go down

Post by Komrade Kharloth on Mon May 28, 2012 7:38 pm

Furburt wrote:

Jesus though do those fucks from Red Orchestra 1 need to shut up. There's at least 1 whiner like that on every server, playing the game while ceaselessly complaining, even after the patch that introduced Classic mode (makes Red Orchestra 2 exactly like Red Orchestra 1) came out. Oy vey, entitled fuckers.

You should hear them shit all over Action mode (my favourite) and anyone who plays it. They constantly bitch that it completely destroys the game, ignoring the fact that it's a fucking optional game type and that it's not geared towards them (oh no somebody doesn't play the game the same way I do? TRIPWIRE ARE FAGGOTS)

Also I can't wait for the vietnam mod, hopefully they get SKSs.

Μολών λαβέ

Komrade Kharloth
God's Hero-man

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Mon May 28, 2012 7:49 pm

I think I saw an SKS on the dev diary.

Action mode's good fun. I'm kind of annoyed that it replaced relaxed mode. Action mode is a bit too actiony for me, but I like having a pistol at my side when playing rifleman, which you don't get on realism. Oh well, I'll just accept it and mow down noobs in action.

Classic can be almost painfully unforgiving but it's worth a go.

Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by Komrade Kharloth on Tue May 29, 2012 3:47 am

Jesus Christ, I just went on the tripwire forums. Are all gamers this fucking whiny about petty as shit issues?

>THE GUNS DON'T SOUND THE EXACT SAME AS THEY DO IN REAL LIFE. YES THIS WARRANTS A THREAD.
>CLASSIC MODE ISN'T EXACTLY THE SAME AS RED ORCHESTRA 1, HOW DARE THEY SLIGHTLY CHANGE THINGS FOR A NEW GAME.
>THE GERMAN IN ONE OF THE SOUND FILES IS SLIGHTLY OFF, I DEMAND THAT TRIPWIRE FIX THIS IMMEDIATELY.
>ACTION MODE IS FUCKING RETARDED, REMOVE IMMEDIATELY, EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE TO PLAY THE BORING, SLOW HARDCORE CLASSIC MODE LIKE ME.

Μολών λαβέ

Komrade Kharloth
God's Hero-man

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Tue May 29, 2012 8:14 am

Tell me about it, I went on there looking for an upgrade tree image someone had made, and by the end I was doubting if I actually liked the game at all. Of course, then I played it again, and all was well.

Poor Tripwire, having to deal with that all the time.
Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Tue May 29, 2012 6:48 pm

I did the single greatest thing I have ever done online in this. I bayoneted a German off the top of the Grain Elevator and he landed on another German and killed him. Sadly I didn't get the kill points for that, his name just appeared with a skull and crossbones like when you commit suicide.

Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by Komrade Kharloth on Tue May 29, 2012 6:59 pm

Sweet.

My moment of glory was probably on barracks, huge 32 on 32 game.

I was soviet, Rifleman with mosin nagant/bayonet. Germans were attacking the barracks, second floor, three of them were rushing up the stairs, they had killed two of my comrades. I charged as they sprayed wildly from the hip, stabbed one, turned, stabbed another and then shot the last in the throat.

Then I bolted downstairs, whipped out my TT-33, put three rounds in the chest of some German on the first floor, and shot a second in the head as he entered the building. Then one of them riddled my torso with an MP40.

All in about 8 seconds. Stalin would be proud.

Μολών λαβέ

Komrade Kharloth
God's Hero-man

Back to top Go down

Post by MilkyFresh on Tue May 29, 2012 7:27 pm

This game sounds awesome

WHY MONKEY, WHY?
No one loves a prick,
No one loves a coffee sniffing motherfucker.
MilkyFresh
Wizard of Piss

Leprechaun Gold : 38764
Pineapple Power : 22738
Alignment : Arseheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Komrade Kharloth on Tue May 29, 2012 7:33 pm

GET IT, GET IT NOW.

Μολών λαβέ

Komrade Kharloth
God's Hero-man

Back to top Go down

Post by MilkyFresh on Tue May 29, 2012 7:33 pm

Me no compootee

WHY MONKEY, WHY?
No one loves a prick,
MilkyFresh
Wizard of Piss

Back to top Go down

Post by Komrade Kharloth on Tue May 29, 2012 7:34 pm

Honestly though, it's a great game, probably one of the, if no the best online shooters I've played.

Μολών λαβέ

Komrade Kharloth
God's Hero-man

Back to top Go down

Post by MilkyFresh on Tue May 29, 2012 7:36 pm

I've watched a few videos but it never seems that appealing.

I'm guessing it's one of those "epic moments" video games, like Just Cause 2. Looks kinda interesting, but then you play it and you hook a harrier jet to a palm tree and make it crash into a truck full of geese.

WHY MONKEY, WHY?
No one loves a prick,
MilkyFresh
Wizard of Piss

Back to top Go down

Post by Komrade Kharloth on Tue May 29, 2012 7:38 pm

My recommendation is that you pirate it, and then buy it if you like it.

If you do, keep in mind that SP vastly undersells the multiplayer.

Μολών λαβέ

Komrade Kharloth
God's Hero-man

Back to top Go down

Post by MilkyFresh on Tue May 29, 2012 7:40 pm

Still no compootee

I'll pick it up when I get one, why not

WHY MONKEY, WHY?
No one loves a prick,
MilkyFresh
Wizard of Piss

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Tue May 29, 2012 8:34 pm

You'll be shit at it at first and you won't get any kills for a while. It's a big learning curve, but if you get good enough to get a few kills, it suddenly becomes very enjoyable.

It's pretty computer intensive though, if that ever does werk oot for ye.

Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by MilkyFresh on Tue May 29, 2012 8:35 pm

Ooh it will. We have Day Z to play.

WHY MONKEY, WHY?
No one loves a prick,
MilkyFresh
Wizard of Piss

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Tue May 29, 2012 9:40 pm

Red Orchestra has the same free-floating aiming system as Arma II, so you might be good at it already.

Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Tue May 29, 2012 10:32 pm

I just played Countdown on a full, proper server for the first time, which I've never done, it's always been with shitloads of bots. It was actually really good. Firefight can be a bit shallow but Countdown is great.

It's basically Red Orchestra meets Counter Strike. Knowing you only have one life to defend or attack an objective with makes things incredibly tense.

I had a great moment where I somehow ended up in the German trenches by stumbling through smoke and thinking it was my own sides trench. They didn't notice I was there and I ran my PPSh through 7 of them at once. I then got killed by getting into a pistol whipping fight with a guy, who also died.

I actually prefer going with the stick mag for the PPSh rather than the drum. When I have the drum I always go through it in one go, which is fine for the stick because you have 6 of them.

One thing that annoys me in action mode is that the aim is fixed, as opposed to the other modes where it floats. It's not a bad thing, just something I'll have to get used to.

Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Wed May 30, 2012 2:41 pm

Oh for fucks sake, I was just on the Tripwire forums, searching to see if the Mg34 belt mag is still in the game, (I heard a rumor it had been taken out. Apparently it's still there)
when I read a post saying that Tripwire were scammers and trying to fuck over Red Orchestra 1 customers and that everyone should boycott it or demand a refund because, wait for it, MG34's are operated by one soldier instead of a gunner and a loader.

How entitled can you get?
A feature that not only has never been implemented in a game before, but would also be terrible when griefers and AFKers get involved.

Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top