The News Thread! 2nd Edition!

Page 2 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13 ... 25  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The News Thread! 2nd Edition!

Post by Furburt on Thu May 17, 2012 11:15 am

It's the fair solution. Everyone's happy!

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
This device will make me famous
This device will make me fly
This device will make me holy
This device defies all laws

Laws that are stupid, and make no sense.

Big Black, Newman Generator

The New Adventures of Momo Murphy
Furburt
Arrested For Copying Dogs

Leprechaun Gold : 72016
Pineapple Power : 42707
Alignment : The Clan MacGinty, the Clan Nangle, The Clan O'Neill and the Clan Moriarty

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Thu May 17, 2012 11:19 am

@Furb: Didn't mean to sound like I was slagging muslims. Dem Imams be bitches

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I felt my sphincter clench and my scrotum contract in shock at his response.
Hubilub
Conquistador of the Useless

Leprechaun Gold : 15140
Pineapple Power : 4328
Alignment : Probiotics are Evil

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Thu May 17, 2012 11:21 am

Oh, I know you weren't, it would just be a very typical knee jerk reaction to that story. I probably shouldn't have said "what you want to do", I meant more the general public.

Furburt

Alignment : The Clan MacGinty, the Clan Nangle, The Clan O'Neill and the Clan Moriarty

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Thu May 17, 2012 11:23 am

Actually, it's the complete opposite here. The entire reaction to it is "THIS IS ALL FALSE INFORMATION CUT TO LOOK ANTI-ISLAMISTIC! DON'T BE RACIST! EVERYONE IS EQUAL, THESE ARE ALL JUST SMALL EXCEPTIONS!"

As stated before, Sweden is ridiculously afraid of being racist. Being critical to Islam is like being an Islamophobe.

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Thu May 17, 2012 11:24 am

Might be justified, when you think of what happened to Denmark.

Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Thu May 17, 2012 11:26 am

Nah, it's not a reaction to the death threats that the Cartoonist received. It's always been that way. It's a very leftist response to the situation. The idea that Sweden is the most diverse and equal country in the world has become so bloated that nobody dares to ask any questions regarding ethnicity.

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Thu May 17, 2012 11:30 am

I'm a card carrying leftie myself but I'm completely opposed to anything like Sharia law, mainly because it's almost completely the opposite of my viewpoints on everything.

I hate the idea that being left-wing means you have to automatically side with anything the right deems bad that actually is bad, like Islamic salafism or totalitarian communism. There's generally a reason why these things are reviled worldwide.

It's completely possible to deal with the question of fundamentalist Islam having some values that are completely incompatible with Western laws and ideas of decency without implying that Muslims have no place in Europe, but nobody on the left wants to approach the issue, meaning the far-right can be the loudest voice when they want to shout for making all Muslims leave.

Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by Komrade Kharloth on Fri May 18, 2012 10:52 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-18087379

>mfw the UK has hurt-feelings police who will storm your house with a swat team and arrest you for thought-crimes if you say something mildly offensive on the internet for fuck's sake.

Μολών λαβέ

Komrade Kharloth
God's Hero-man

Leprechaun Gold : 14669
Pineapple Power : 1892
Alignment : Orthodox

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Fri May 18, 2012 11:46 pm

There's a reason they invented the term 'nanny-state' in that country.

Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by LordCuthberton on Sat May 19, 2012 12:19 am

I got a uniformed bobby and a detective round my house after I posted a video of a girl I know set to the song "maneater" because she was pissing me off.

Thankfully my parents were out all day at a rugby festival. Thank god for Sunday sports!

He that climbs the highest has the greatest fall.

PRAISE THE SUN
LordCuthberton
"Aha, I am also an assassin"

Leprechaun Gold : -2147472319
Pineapple Power : 1990

https://www.facebook.com/100PercentWinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Sat May 19, 2012 2:34 am

What an insane country.

Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Tue May 22, 2012 12:50 am

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/kyuss-lives-respond-to-josh-homme-scott-reeders-lawsuit-20120521

Nothing worse than seeing your heroes fall out. I'd more side with Brant Bjork on this one though, while Josh is more than entitled to his opinion that Kyuss should remain a legend rather than reform and possibly fuck up, taking it to lawsuit level against your old bandmates is 70's supergroup level arrogant, I think.

I mean, I massively respect the guy but he's really got to get in his head that while Queens of the Stone Age is most definitely his band, Kyuss was not, it was a 4 man show, all the way through.

Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by Katzenjammer on Tue May 22, 2012 1:46 am

That has made me a sad panda.

Still side with Brandt and John the whole way though. And Josh Homme really is an arsehole isn't he? Some musician, but an arsehole nonetheless.

She's turned the weans against us.
Katzenjammer
Zoot Suit

Leprechaun Gold : 6590
Pineapple Power : 424

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Tue May 22, 2012 2:39 am

To be honest, I wouldn't have thought this of him. I know he has a bit of an ego, but he's generally shown himself to be fairly straight up. I thought he dealt with Nick Oliveri perfectly when he kicked him out.

But it's just a bit weird. I'm very sad that Scott Reeder has thrown his lot in with him as well. Really I'm just sad that they're divided at all.

Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Tue May 22, 2012 9:29 am

Man, I think Brandt and John have a very poor understanding of Josh.

Josh can creatively be very controlling, but no way is he in it for the money, and no way did he start QotsA so he could have full control. You can very clearly hear in the early QotsA albums that it is a joint effort, not Homme himself. Later, as Oliveri was replaced, it did start to sound a lot like it was Homme's one man show, but that's because the band lost a creative talent, not because Homme suffocated everyone else.

I just think Homme is a very, very serious musician. Much more than most musicians today. He does not want to compromise, he does not want to sell out. Kyuss is not something he sees as his own, but it's something he's proud of, something he considers a legacy, and he doesn't want it to turn into one of those bands that keeps trying to rock on after its prime. In his eyes it's probably Brandt and John that are the assholes, for not moving on with something else and instead going back and reviving something that was supposed to stay dead.

Look at Homme's best friend: Dave Grohl. Dave was in a highly influential band with a very short run in the 90s. Then he moved on with Foo Fighters. If Kurt was still alive, I'm sure Grohl wouldn't want to revive Nirvana. It's a chapter he's closed in his book, it's a different time, it's a different legacy.

I find it pathetic that they are trying to pin down Homme as a control freak and a money grabber. If Homme is a money grabber, why isn't he churning out more QotsA albums? Why isn't there a "Greatest Hits" QotsA special release? If Homme is a control freak, why hasn't he taken complete creative control over Eagles of Death Metal, a band he helped start to support one of his closest friends? How was he able to found Them Crooked Vultures, if he wasn't able to listen to and embrace the creative input of others?

Homme isn't trying to protect "his" Kyuss; Homme is the one who can see the bigger picture. I find it admirable of him to go to court against his former band mates for the sake of the band, for the sake of their legacy.

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Tue May 22, 2012 9:44 am

Hubilub wrote:

Homme isn't trying to protect "his" Kyuss; Homme is the one who can see the bigger picture. I find it admirable of him to go to court against his former band mates for the sake of the band, for the sake of their legacy.

No.

It's a shitty thing to do to people you've known and played with since you were 15 no matter which way you spin it, it is not admirable in the slightest.
Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Tue May 22, 2012 10:06 am

Well it's what I think

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Tue May 22, 2012 10:22 am

But what bigger picture? I can understand Homme being pissed off at Kyuss reforming, but do you remember when he said that he doesn't want to stick his dick in their legacy? Leaving it at that would be enough.

I don't know Homme as a particularly uncool dude, which is why I'm astounded he would take it to litigation. It's the kind of thing over the hill rock stars like Mick Jagger would do.

You've got to remember that Bjork and Garcia don't really make that much money. Both release quality albums but they're completely unknown outside their own little scene. Josh, however, does, and probably will continue to for some time. I don't see why he can't allow his less famous bandmates make a bit of cash for once. It's not like he needs the money, while they do.

Plus, I do find it arrogant that Josh can claim any control whatsoever over Kyuss. Kyuss was really Brant Bjork's baby. He was the first member, almost all the best songs are written by him, and a lot of the time, the amazing riffs that Josh was playing were totally dictated to him by Bjork.
It's very evident that after he left there was a massive drop in songwriting quality on the next album (...And the Circus Leaves Town). It's got about 3-4 good songs but it's very deficient compared to the previous 2 albums.
His replacement, Alfredo Hernandez, was a great drummer but he didn't do any songwriting, leaving Josh to fill the gap. And about a year later, Kyuss had broken up. In fact, I think a lot of the reason Josh is suing is because on the first Kyuss albums it lists all the band members under songwriting credits, despite the fact the majority was done by Bjork.

If Josh left Queens Of the Stone Age to form Stoned Queens or whatever and his former bandmates kept playing his songs as QOTSA without his permission than of course he has the right to legally tell them to stop, but whatever the legal implications I think it shows a great insecurity on Josh's part.

Like I said, just by clarifying his distaste about it, he's staked out his position. His fans will listen to him and not go to Kyuss Lives! shows and give out about them on the internet. Fine, absolutely fine. He doesn't need to bring it to this. By creating this huge rift in the band, he's fucking up the legacy more than they ever could.

Spoken as a fan.

Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Tue May 22, 2012 10:32 am

Weeeeeeeeeeeell okay. You're right. I agree now

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Tue May 22, 2012 1:40 pm

POWER OF WALL OF TEXT

Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by Katzenjammer on Tue May 22, 2012 8:10 pm

If Brandt Bjork and John Garcia are guilty of Trademark Infringement then Homme is definitely as well.

Most of the best songs recorded by QotSA were written during the Desert Sessions and it wasn't all material written by Josh.

She's turned the weans against us.
Katzenjammer
Zoot Suit

Leprechaun Gold : 6590
Pineapple Power : 424

Back to top Go down

Post by Xandy on Tue May 22, 2012 8:53 pm

I don't know who any of these people are.

Wu-Tang is for the children!
Xandy
Halfblood Prince of Persia

Leprechaun Gold : 24774
Pineapple Power : 1164
Alignment : Chaotic Faggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Komrade Kharloth on Tue May 22, 2012 8:54 pm

Xandy wrote:I don't know who any of these people are.

Μολών λαβέ

Komrade Kharloth
God's Hero-man

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Wed May 23, 2012 12:09 am

Stoned people.

Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by GrinningManiac on Thu May 24, 2012 1:09 pm

Komrade Kharloth wrote:
Xandy wrote:I don't know who any of these people are.

-----

lol all my favourite artists are dead NO FALLOUTS FOR ME#

Beethoven had a fight with God and then he died. That was the mother of all fallouts.

मैं हिन्दी जानना चाहता हूँ…અને ગુજરાતી…ਅਤੇ ਪੰਜਾਬੀ…এবং হয়ত বাংলা.
Aprenderé a bailar salsa y nada detendrá me. 对不起我的中文不好,对不起我不知道你说什么。
Не слышны в саду даже шорохи. Все здесь замерло до утра, Если б знали вы, как мне дороги, Подмосковные вечера.
The problem with having an open mind, you see, is that people insist on coming along and putting things in it
- Sir Terry Pratchett
GrinningManiac
His Grace, His Excellency, The Duke of Ankh; Commander Sir Alasdair Lawrence

Leprechaun Gold : 15239
Pineapple Power : 3009
Alignment : Morally Unperturbed Mongoose-Man

Back to top Go down

Post by GrinningManiac on Thu May 24, 2012 1:11 pm

Argh filmographies on Wikipedia have started showing 2013 pre-productions

2013 SOUNDS WAY TOO FAR IN THE FUTURE

Why is it I was "meh" about 2011-2012 but 2012-2013 feels like tomorrow we'll all have jetpacks?

Не слышны в саду даже шорохи. Все здесь замерло до утра, Если б знали вы, как мне дороги, Подмосковные вечера.
The problem with having an open mind, you see, is that people insist on coming along and putting things in it
- Sir Terry Pratchett
GrinningManiac

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Thu May 24, 2012 1:19 pm

I remember hearing on a radio program,
a theory that said that 2013 sounds futuristic and unknowable to people because 2012 is still easy enough to say as 'two thousand and twelve' but that 2013 and onwards will be too much of a mouthful and people will naturally gravitate to 'twenty-thirteen', which sounds like old sci-fi to us.

Bizarre, but possible.

Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Thu May 24, 2012 1:19 pm

In terms of NEWS, I'm worried about Nigeria and Mali, and Yemen. It's looking like Islamic fundamentalism is really coming back in style, which means America might want to get its invading boots on again.

Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by Alkaline on Fri May 25, 2012 2:54 am

Was it ever really out of style?

Xandy wrote:
MilkyFresh wrote:DO MEEEE

DO MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Fuck Milky I always knew you were a fag for me.
Alkaline
Refuse to Kill the Same Way Twice

Leprechaun Gold : 6459
Pineapple Power : -582

Back to top Go down

Post by Komrade Kharloth on Fri May 25, 2012 2:57 am

I honestly cannot bring myself to give a shit about Africa nowadays.

Μολών λαβέ

Komrade Kharloth
God's Hero-man

Back to top Go down

Post by Xandy on Fri May 25, 2012 3:09 am

Komrade Kharloth wrote:I honestly cannot bring myself to give a shit about Africa nowadays.

Wu-Tang is for the children!
Xandy
Halfblood Prince of Persia

Leprechaun Gold : 24774
Pineapple Power : 1164
Alignment : Chaotic Faggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Alkaline on Fri May 25, 2012 4:48 am

Xandy wrote:
Komrade Kharloth wrote:I honestly cannot bring myself to give a shit about Africa nowadays.

Xandy wrote:
MilkyFresh wrote:DO MEEEE

DO MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Fuck Milky I always knew you were a fag for me.
Alkaline
Refuse to Kill the Same Way Twice

Leprechaun Gold : 6459
Pineapple Power : -582

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Fri May 25, 2012 9:00 am

It's not the usual 'ethnic militias killing everyone who isn't them' that we all know, this is concerted military intervention on the part of al-qaeda.
Boko Haram in Nigeria has already killed thousands and its military campaign has only been going a few months, and in Mali, the Islamists are on their way to declaring a full sharia state in the north of the country.

SHIT BE REAL

Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by GrinningManiac on Fri May 25, 2012 1:48 pm

Nothing ever really seems to change in Africa no matter how much aid is sent in or anything.

Something is going to give one day and things are going to get a whole lot worse and then a whole lot better...I hope

- Sir Terry Pratchett
GrinningManiac

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Fri May 25, 2012 2:10 pm

We kinda did next-to-irreparable damage to Africa. That, and many of the people trying to help Africa got killed. Dag Hammarskjöld and Olof Palme, two of the most famous and influential Swedish politicians of all time, both died while dealing with problems in Africa. Dag died when his plane crashed when on his way to cease-fire negotiations in Africa (VERY suspect circumstances) and many theorize that Palme was assassinated because he fought against Apartheid (They never caught the killer)

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by Pararaptor on Fri May 25, 2012 2:13 pm

Swedes make really good horror games.
Did you know that Afraid of Monsters (and the director's cut), Cry of Fear, Amnesia and Penumbra were all made there? And the first two are set there, and very scary.
My respect for the swedish has gone up.
Pararaptor
10 Foot Tall Walking Avocado

Leprechaun Gold : 63917
Pineapple Power : 50698

http://steamcommunity.com/id/pararaptor

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Fri May 25, 2012 2:15 pm

We also did Just Cause 2, which was great funzies, we make Battlefield, and we have Starbreeze Studios, the guys who made the sweetass Riddick games and The Darkness.

We also made Europa Universalis, Hearts of Iron and Mount & Blade.

Games are a big thing in Sweden. Plenty of University courses are Video Game focused

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Fri May 25, 2012 2:18 pm

The only thing Ireland did was the Havok engine, but we did produce David Doak, who made Timesplitters and Perfect Dark and Goldeneye with Rare and Free Radical.

Swedes, Czechs and Ukranians would be my favourites.

Last edited by Furburt on Fri May 25, 2012 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by Pararaptor on Fri May 25, 2012 2:19 pm

Hubilub wrote:We also did Just Cause 2, which was great funzies, we make Battlefield, and we have Starbreeze Studios, the guys who made the sweetass Riddick games and The Darkness.

We also made Europa Universalis, Hearts of Iron and Mount & Blade.

Games are a big thing in Sweden. Plenty of University courses are Video Game focused
Holy shit I didn't know that.
Fuck your people are good at making games, that's off the wall.
Pararaptor
10 Foot Tall Walking Avocado

Leprechaun Gold : 63917
Pineapple Power : 50698

http://steamcommunity.com/id/pararaptor

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Fri May 25, 2012 2:19 pm

Also: Minecraft, several racing games, and XIII

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13 ... 25  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top