General Gaming Discussion Thread IV- Return of the Plastic Mangina

Page 26 of 27 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: General Gaming Discussion Thread IV- Return of the Plastic Mangina

Post by LordCuthberton on Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:24 am

noth that it matterzs.#

Blackops 2 is pone of the most fruitfal and entertained campaigns I'm seen in a laong lona gtime and and im s not sayinaoes lattice byut because it tryeg this becaosue of potso yeah, anyone whid disgsagrees is a fucking faggot oiwho doesn;t has been life.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
He that climbs the highest has the greatest fall.

PRAISE THE SUN
LordCuthberton
"Aha, I am also an assassin"

Leprechaun Gold : -2147472438
Pineapple Power : 1990

https://www.facebook.com/100PercentWinner

Back to top Go down

Post by MilkyFresh on Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:56 pm

kane looks like such a faggot in this pic
so fat and shit

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
WHY MONKEY, WHY?
No one loves a prick,
No one loves a coffee sniffing motherfucker.
MilkyFresh
Wizard of Piss

Leprechaun Gold : 38701
Pineapple Power : 22738
Alignment : Arseheart

Back to top Go down

Post by LordCuthberton on Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:16 pm

Who the fuck left me near a computer last night.

Apologies.

PRAISE THE SUN
LordCuthberton

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:15 pm

That was real?

This device will make me famous
This device will make me fly
This device will make me holy
This device defies all laws

Laws that are stupid, and make no sense.

Big Black, Newman Generator

The New Adventures of Momo Murphy
Furburt
Arrested For Copying Dogs

Leprechaun Gold : 71897
Pineapple Power : 42707
Alignment : The Clan MacGinty, the Clan Nangle, The Clan O'Neill and the Clan Moriarty

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by Komrade Kharloth on Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:35 pm

I hope so, I made it my sig.

Μολών λαβέ

Komrade Kharloth
God's Hero-man

Leprechaun Gold : 14550
Pineapple Power : 1892
Alignment : Orthodox

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:45 pm

Lots of reviews saying Hitman Absolution failed to understand what made the series great.

Fucking called it

I felt my sphincter clench and my scrotum contract in shock at his response.
Hubilub
Conquistador of the Useless

Leprechaun Gold : 15021
Pineapple Power : 4328
Alignment : Probiotics are Evil

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Wiggles on Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:00 pm

Hubilub wrote:Lots of reviews saying Hitman Absolution failed to understand what made the series great.

Fucking called it

Sadly, there is no prize

You can buy a dream or two to last you all the years, and the only price you'll pay is a heart full of tears.
Mr. Wiggles
Professional Green Tea Enthusiast. It cures Space Aids dontcha know?

Leprechaun Gold : 26680
Pineapple Power : 15453
Alignment : Semi-sadistic Tea-drinking Schizophrenic

Back to top Go down

Post by LordCuthberton on Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:13 pm

I'm liking it.

However, less sandbox/actual assassination missions and more levels like THROUGH THE VALLEY from Hitman 2. IE, levels that are basically GET TO THE EXIT DOOR like the "run for your life" demo.

The actual assassination missions are the boss though. Did a level in a chinese marketplace. It was great.

PRAISE THE SUN
LordCuthberton

Back to top Go down

Post by Komrade Kharloth on Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:15 pm

I always thought they should release modding and level design tools for blood money.

Imagine Hitman in say, the cold war.

Μολών λαβέ

Komrade Kharloth
God's Hero-man

Back to top Go down

Post by MilkyFresh on Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:32 pm

"im s not sayinaoes lattice byut because it tryeg"
Everything kind of makes sense but that

Also, that chinese marketplace level was the gameplay demo I saw that gave me a little faith in the game. I guess it's not all like that then.

WHY MONKEY, WHY?
No one loves a prick,
MilkyFresh
Wizard of Piss

Back to top Go down

Post by LordCuthberton on Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:09 pm

I've done more, here's my proper analysis.

---
Spoiler:

First things first, I do not love this game yet but I do not hate it either. Playing on expert.

Let's start with combat.

Firstly, the inventory/load out screen before each mission or set of missions is gone. You go into the level with whatever the game determines. It is a bit annoying when you start a level and all you have is a fucking revolver. Great idea 47, a loud gun which alerts every enemy in the stage rendering it as something below vendor trash in worth. Add the fact a few levels do not start you with fiber wire...that's a risky move. I guess it's a way to force you into improvised weapons.

Oh yeah, on those, they have a loud noise radius which means after you use that ancient tome to brain the guard, fella's 3 doors down come to investigate. Would of rathered they kept that security alertness to people in the immediate area.

So hand-to-hand weapons now have a pretty cool improvement. A little Assassins Creedy, press X with any weapon in front of someone they die in a cool animation. Chopping time with the woodaxe is satisfyingly gruesome. This of course works better from the behind and shit.

There's also fist fighting. Generally consists of a short QTE which is useful for subduing a guard who suddenly turns around before you fiber wired him, and the sacrafice for that fuck up is he makes noise which could alert any guards, if they weren't strangled to death! It's good, it works. If they have a gun out and you attack you human shield them automatically. You can also sneak behind guys and choke them, from there choosing to snap necks or concuss them. Better than the whole ONLY BROUGHT TWO SYRINGES OH GOD deal.

One feature that has been removed is the whole blood trails. Guards now notice a blood pool, but all that does is put them in a slightly alerted phase and impacts on your rating. Unlike blood money, they do not follow the trail to your cupboard party of 7 dead guards. Seems a little retarded to remove that system.

Guns are guns. They fire bullets.

They also have what I call RED DEAD RETARDED mode, using the INSTINCT (which you already know about, you fuckers) you have auto kill targets. You only get enough INSTINCT for about 3 guys kill, and on harder modes INSTINCT doesn't regenerate. So yeah. Useless feature only there for frat guys.

TALKING OF INSTINCT

The disguise system is fucked. They have a new feature in the system that means when you are say, an electrician, police don't identify you but other electrician's will realise you're not Bob Bobsworth. The only way to stay in disguise as an electrician without getting called out is using the well discussed INSTINCT bar to make 47 look down at his shoes.

That wouldn't be a real problem if it wasn't for the fact that on the higher difficulties INSTINCT is basically non existent. So on a higher difficulty you are forced to be someone that's not an electrician to avoid alarm, right?

Wrong. Of what I have seen, most of the levels contain maybe 3 disguises and some of those disguises are useless inside of the area you need to be sneaking into. Add the fact on higher difficulties there's very few if no routes through a room without being seen at some point.

The worst part of this bullshit is the RUN FOR YO LIFE level which was demoed. It's a story based linear cinematic run through a city. It's sorta fun in the opening (sneaking round a deserted library picking off the boys in blue one by one, like a reverse Batman) but it goes in the pisser the second you enter the finale : A train station.

You have only one disguise (police) and you have to walk through this fucking station, turn on a signal light and then wait till the train arrives. Getting a single alert means the 30 something Swat officers dotted about the two platforms WILL kill you. The mechanic they want you to use if an Assassins Creed style "Hide in a crowd" which actually works really fucking well, but the problem is there's a certain section just before the end where you cross a bridge to get to platform 2 and there's two swat officers on the stairwell and no crowds nearby. The idea being, according to every guide I checked when I was stuck on this point for 1 hour, use INSTINCT to look at your todger and walk past them.

This is completely fucked in the higher levels of difficulty because your power to look down lasts about 2 seconds fully charged compared to the 15 or so from "normal" mode.

If you must know how I did it in the end, I threw a bomb that your supposed to use in the library on platform 1 and blew it up. All officers ran over there and I waited on an empty platform for the train. I ended the level with -200,000 points for 20+ civillian kills. Probably not what they intended.

That whole story signals my other HUGE problem with the game.

They have Classic Hitman levels which is awesome. So far they have been: A chinese marketplace, a strip club, Chinese new year party and arguably a rundown hotel.

These are fucking fantastic. In a detailed sandbox with a target and so many options to discover. (unless you read the challenge cards which blatantly tell you some of your options)

However....Before and after them they made shit railroading.

I do not want to see 47 sneak past the police to enter the scene, nor do I want to see him get past the police after the kill. The game seems obsessed with telling you the full picture. Add on the fact these stages are always populated by police and ONLY police, you're more or less fucked and forced to fight which is not Hitman.

Gonna steal a line from Splinter Cell, a game which I think has a similar feel to Hitman. This sums up my thoughts on the ultimate run of a Hitman game.

"Undetectable, leaving without a trace. Like a sliver of glass, a Splinter Cell is small, sharp, and nearly invisible."

This may change as the game progresses. I'm still in the early levels. (4/20)

However this feeling that these linear levels are padding is growing. Maybe they just wanted a cinematic feel instead of the warping effect previous Hitman games had. IE, teleporting from rural Kentucky to St Petersburg to Hong King ect
---

I will report back after i finish. Hopefully more sandbox stuff.

PRAISE THE SUN
LordCuthberton

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:18 pm

"Better than the whole ONLY BROUGHT TWO SYRINGES OH GOD deal."

But I liked that part. When playing a no-death run on missions (with the exception of the targets), it forced you to play smart as you could only knock out a few select targets.

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by LordCuthberton on Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:26 pm

True, but to get the Silent Assassin rating in Absolution requires a score, not a stats breakdown.

Knocking out more than intended will fuck you up points wise which will then stop your silent assassin rank.

PRAISE THE SUN
LordCuthberton

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:33 pm

Ooh, that's good.

Really hope this game turns out to be good in the end

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by Komrade Kharloth on Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:56 pm

You know you can just knock out human shields right?

The strategy I used on the river boat mission was to simply knocking out all non-essentials on the upper deck

Μολών λαβέ

Komrade Kharloth
God's Hero-man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:58 pm

You pussy

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:10 pm

The PC Gamer review looks pretty bad, and I usually trust that reviewer (Tom Francis) so I am now biased against this game until otherwise stated.

Furburt

Alignment : The Clan MacGinty, the Clan Nangle, The Clan O'Neill and the Clan Moriarty

Back to top Go down

Post by LordCuthberton on Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:29 pm

This is my first impressions. So about 3-5 hours of game time?

PRAISE THE SUN
LordCuthberton

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:42 pm

http://www.pcgamer.com/review/hitman-absolution-review/

This one?

I'mma read it now. The one negative review I red was shite

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:43 pm

Okay, read it, and now I also hate Hitman Absolution.

Fuck Hitman Absolution.

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAPE

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:57 pm

Read some positive reviews to see if they could persuade me otherwise.

NOOOOOOPE

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by Komrade Kharloth on Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:12 pm

Hubilub wrote:You pussy
There's something satisfying about leaving a dozen unconscious and dead people on a boat and nobody noticing.

Also, did anyone else use the melee weapons? I used the knife every chance I got.

Μολών λαβέ

Komrade Kharloth
God's Hero-man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:13 pm

Nail Gun, OH YEEEEEAH

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:01 pm

It's sounds like they're paying more homage to the movie than the series.

Speaking of which, why did they get baby faced when bald Timothy Olyphant (Elephant) to play 47 in the film when the guy (David Bateson) who does his mocap work, provides his voice and appearance is available and has loads of acting experience? I know star power, obviously, but they could have had an exact representation of him.

Imagine this:

Instead of this

Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by LordCuthberton on Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:21 pm

I agree with the review.

Summed everything I said, but with better flow.

Gonna replay Hitman 2 over Christmas.

That first level

THE JACUZZI JOB - Fuck me I cannot wait.

PRAISE THE SUN
LordCuthberton

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:50 pm

I always liked Terminal Hospitality. Dressing up as a Sikh.

Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:57 pm

Reading a lot about some huge games journalism scandal that happened last month.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Eurogamer-Writer-Loses-Job-Pointing-Out-How-Much-Video-Game-Journalism-Fails-48600.html

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:38 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=S2keHyS_Ooo

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:52 am

Time to try out the new DMC demo.

WILL IT BE SHITE?

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by MilkyFresh on Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:58 am

"And the fact that it’s useful is actually a bad thing: it uses a resource called Instinct, which you can recharge by killing guards. So there’s now a material reward for the gratuitous murder the series has always tried to gently discourage."

I no longer have any interest in this game

WHY MONKEY, WHY?
No one loves a prick,
MilkyFresh
Wizard of Piss

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:08 pm

Time for first impressions!

Okay, so let's get the good stuff out first: Everything about the environment is good. I don't mind the fact that they took away all the gothic, dark stuff from the early games, because this works very well. The most important thing to note is that the scenery is "alive". Buildings and street expand and crumble regularly, either to stop you from traversing an area, to allow opportunities for some pretty solid platforming, but most often it is to kill you. Streets will disappear to try and get you to fall, walls will try to crush you in between them. It's mostly just cinematic, because it isn't very hard to get through these areas, but it's also very effective, and it both feels and looks really cool.

Everything is rich in colours, and the distortion of buildings and the like stops the environments from looking like bland city areas. Some of the post-demo gameplay screens also hint at even more beautiful and unique environments. The fact that they've moved away from really dark, Gothic architecture isn't a problem; This is a great way to take the series in a new direction.

Gameplay is solid. It flows well, it looks stylish, and most importantly it feels good. However, and this is a very important however, it is not Devil May Cry. Not truly. I'll explain how, but first a quick summary of how the fighting works:

You have three melee weapons, and Dante's signature pistols. The first melee weapon is the sword, which you just hit people with. Fairly standard stuff. You attack with Triangle and Circle, and shoot your pistols with Square, same as the first DMC. Devil Trigger still exists, and is still holding down the sticks.

Here are the changes: There is no longer any style system. For those who don't know or don't remember, the style system is a choice between four different styles that greatly change the way the game is played. You've got gunslinger, that makes you more proficient with firearms, giving you new moves that allow for new strategies and such. Then there's Swordmaster, which does the same but for melee weapons. Trickster, which let's you dodge and be more adept at platforming through advanced double jumping. Royalguard, which is the trickiest but also the style that gives the most payoff, as it gives you a sort of block-riposte system where if you successfully block an attack, you store up that attack's energy and can release it back against your attacker. Then there are a few bonus styles you unlock, like quicksilver, which lets you slow down time, and doppelganger, which gives you a doppelganger that helps you fight.

It was a unique system that was part in creating the incredible depth of the DMC fighting system, as player's could have incredibly different styles of gameplay. Not so in this game. You automatically have dodge, which is assigned to R1 and L1, I don't think there's any blocking, and since there aren't any gunslinger or swordmaster styles, you don't have a lot of creative possibilities with either type of weapon. Some other trickster moves, like being able to shoot forwards for long distances, have also been incorporated into the standard gameplay while gutting the style system.

The game also doesn't have a lot of weapons. You are restricted to three, not including the guns, and you have them all from the very start of the game. Holding down L2 let's you use a scythe, which is very quick and also let's you pull yourself towards enemies or towards platforms, and holding down R2 let's you use an axe, which is slow but very powerful, and let's you pull enemies towards you and pull out parts of the scenery (predetermined, so not just any parts of the scenery) to create a platform which you can then jump on. What's good about this idea is that you can quickly switch between three types of weapon to create some cool combos that net you massive points, but there arises a problem in that once again it takes away some of the massive depth of the previous games (Not counting DMC 4, fuck that game).

In the previous games, there were tons of weapons but you were restricted to carry only two. This was partly because micromanaging all those weapons at once would be fucking annoying, but also because it wanted to let you create your own fighting style. You could go nunchucks-dual swords and be a fast swordmaster, you could get the laser gun-electric guitar combo to do massive ranged damage, you could do a number of different combinations, and once you combined that with styles you had dozens and dozens of ways to play the game in a way unique to you. It was so simple, yet it created so much depth that it was crazy.

Sadly this aspect is lost in this game, as it was in most of DMC 4 (Nero only had one weapon, Dante only had 4). As such I found myself getting tired of the combat and feeling as if there was nothing more to it after just ten minutes of gameplay. Not to say that this game doesn't have bad gameplay, it can be very fun, but it lacks completely what made DMC truly great.

Now to the really shit parts: The story is laughable. Mostly it's because they are going completely serious, and are trying to make it modern. The intro is riddled with criticism of consumerism, big brother government, videos of some cunt in a mask shouting down the government like you see in every dystopian future film, and even has a Bill O'Reilly parody. This isn't Devil May Cry, it's another shitty 1984 wannabe.

But yeah, the story. For some reason they've changed it so that instead of being the sons of the most powerful demon ever and a human, Dante and his twinbrother Virgil are now sons of a normal demon and a normal angel. It's not the worst change, but it's just kind of gay. Instead of being the son of SPARDAAAAAAA, Dante is now just your everyday Blade-esque halfblood type character.

Speaking of his twinbrother, there is no chemistry between them anymore. Previously they were mortal enemies who still joked around, but now Virgil is reduced to "Hi Dante, I'm going to give you exposition about your past and who I am." It's just a very boring handling of the character. He meets Dante, tells him what is going on and what he needs to do, and then Dante goes and does that. Again the story is just some shitty dystopian future thingie about fighting the power.

The dialogue is terrible. It's completely flat, and most of it is just exposition exposition exposition. Nothing they say reflect their character personalities. Virgil isn't arrogant and self-assured, and Dante isn't lighthearted and a smartass.

Not only is the story way too serious and terribly written, but there's too much of it. In the previous games, it was just cutscene-mission-cutscene-mission, the story never getting in the way of gameplay and always trying to move along quickly so as not to bore the shit out of you. This one has way too much, and you can see that they deliberately cut out parts of the intro cutscene so as to not take up too much time of the demo.

All in all, this game needs to take the seriousness level waaaaay down, and greatly simplify its story and the way it tells it. It's impossible to make a story about a concept like this good unless you make it slightly self-aware and humorous, and let it take a backseat in favor of gameplay. But it still looks great, it feels great, and while it lacks the depth of DMC 1-3, it still has potential to be much, much better than DMC 4. In conclusion, this game looks like it's going to be worth playing, and is not nearly as shit as I was expecting.

DMC 4 sucked so bad. Fuck that game. Fuck it hard.

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:10 pm

Yup, this game is shit

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by MilkyFresh on Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:25 pm

Looks like a rad mechanic. Fucking hall, the chinatown level really made this game look like it was going to be at least halfway good. I just can't believe they are making it halfway impossible to sneak properly without killing guards to fill up your hand-face bar. They couldn't possibly have made a worse gameplay decision than that. Reward killing random guards with the ability to sneak. Catering to those who want to do ultraviolent playthroughs of a stealth game is fine, but you have to give people the ability to keep the two play styles separate, it's fucking batshit insane not to.
That was one of the many things Dishonored did well. Dishonored did everything well. If you guys want a great stealth game I really can't recommend it highly enough, it's only failing was that it didn't go for long enough. Hub, play it. If that can't restore some of your faith in video games then you are a lost cause and a faggot

WHY MONKEY, WHY?
No one loves a prick,
MilkyFresh
Wizard of Piss

Back to top Go down

Post by MilkyFresh on Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:26 pm

It can also be a little easy to fight your way out of sticky situations early in the game, but that's what difficulty levels are for.

WHY MONKEY, WHY?
No one loves a prick,
MilkyFresh
Wizard of Piss

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:36 pm

I'll see if I can get a hold of it cheaply. Been getting tired of Dark Souls and X-Com

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:05 pm

Nobody cares about DMC but meeee!

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by LordCuthberton on Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:07 pm

Hubilub wrote:Been getting tired of Dark Souls

rageiscontemptable

---

I forgot something else.

Hammerspace has been put in the game.

IE, you can hide a light machine gun/shotgun/sniper rifle in your jacket somehow. Unlike Hitman 2, contracts and blood money where all weapons that weren't concealable (as in small) were held in the left hand and visible to everyone.

It's feasible to walk up to a target and pull out a two handed pump action shotgun from fucking nowhere.

PRAISE THE SUN
LordCuthberton

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:10 pm

Gay.

And I just don't have the buzz for Dark Souls anymore. Fucking good game, but not exciting anymore

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by LordCuthberton on Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:11 pm

You did plow through it though. I guess that's what the difference is.

UNLESS

Have you made a dickwraith yet?

Have you made a MAGIC MAN yet?

PRAISE THE SUN
LordCuthberton

Back to top Go down

Post by Komrade Kharloth on Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:13 pm

I played it for something like a half hour and hated it.

Μολών λαβέ

Komrade Kharloth
God's Hero-man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 26 of 27 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27  Next