Film Reccomendation Thread.

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Film Reccomendation Thread.

Post by Komrade Kharloth on Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:22 am

So, I think it's time we get a film recommendation thread going, I've lately been looking for good movies to watch for my film class.

So, anyone seen any good films lately?

I'll get us started:

Recently, I watched Rock N Rolla, and the film just blew me away. Brilliant acting, great moments of funny and some pretty good acting scenes, never a dull moment from start to finish.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Μολών λαβέ

Komrade Kharloth
God's Hero-man

Leprechaun Gold : 14610
Pineapple Power : 1892
Alignment : Orthodox

Back to top Go down

Re: Film Reccomendation Thread.

Post by reg42 on Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:21 am

In Bruges: My favourite movie. It's both funny and really dark. I don't have time right now to go into more detail.

Also:
Little Voice and Sin City

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"Fuck, fuck, fuck/Mutha, mutha fuck/Mutha, mutha fuck fuck/Mutha fuck, mutha fuck/Noinch, noinch, noinch

1-2-1-2-3-4/Noinch, noinch, noinch/Smokin' weed/Smokin' wiz/Doin' coke/Drinkin' beers/Drinkin' beers, beers, beers

Rollin' fatties, smokin' blunts/Who smokes the blunts/We smoke the blunts/Rollin' blunts and smokin...

Oh, let me get a nickle bag

15 bucks little man/Put that shit in my hand/If that money doesn't show/Then you owe me owe me owe

My jungle looooove/Oh-e-oh-e-oh/I think I wanna know ya, know ya"
reg42
Uncle Mint Floss

Leprechaun Gold : 36090
Pineapple Power : 30214
Alignment : Chaotically good looking

http://www.last.fm/user/reg42

Back to top Go down

Post by Pararaptor on Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:46 am

The following is my list of the fucking scariest films ever. I doubt anything'll top these.

In ascending order of scare-factor:

[REC]
Pulse
The Eye
Ju-On: The Grudge

Also deserving of a mention are

A Tale of Two Sisters
Not really scary until the end but includes the most disturbing scene I've ever seen in a film.

One Missed Call
Again, not very scary but a really good film.
Pararaptor
10 Foot Tall Walking Avocado

Leprechaun Gold : 63858
Pineapple Power : 50698

http://steamcommunity.com/id/pararaptor

Back to top Go down

Post by MilkyFresh on Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:13 pm

The Thing is an absolutely brilliant horror movie. It's not very scary, but it really nails the tension perfectly. And if you liked Rock N Rolla, check out Snatch and Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels. Guy Ritchie is good, but he does seem to be continually making the same film... Sherlock was a but different, but it was also a bit worse. I guess he should just keep doing what he does well...

Check out Bronson.

WHY MONKEY, WHY?
No one loves a prick,
No one loves a coffee sniffing motherfucker.
MilkyFresh
Wizard of Piss

Leprechaun Gold : 38761
Pineapple Power : 22738
Alignment : Arseheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Pararaptor on Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:13 pm

MilkyFresh wrote:The Thing is an absolutely brilliant horror movie. It's not very scary, but it really nails the tension perfectly.
See, I never found that. I could see the tension was there, but it didn't really... I didn't feel tense, guessing who was going to be an alien & who was going to get whacked.

It's still a lovely film though.
Pararaptor

Back to top Go down

Post by MilkyFresh on Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:03 pm

Pararaptor wrote:
MilkyFresh wrote:The Thing is an absolutely brilliant horror movie. It's not very scary, but it really nails the tension perfectly.
See, I never found that. I could see the tension was there, but it didn't really... I didn't feel tense, guessing who was going to be an alien & who was going to get whacked.

Eh, it could be partially because I love all those shitty 80s effects so much, but there was something about that film which just hit the mark for me.

WHY MONKEY, WHY?
No one loves a prick,
MilkyFresh
Wizard of Piss

Back to top Go down

Post by SnootyJuggaloman on Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:48 pm

If you aren't prejudiced against Rob Zombie i recommend House of 1000 Corpses and Devil's Rejects.

For some interesting humor I'm gonna suggest

Big Money Hustlas
Big Money Rustlas.

My hat is much fancier than yours.
SnootyJuggaloman
Madcunt

Leprechaun Gold : 2786
Pineapple Power : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by GrinningManiac on Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:42 pm

MilkyFresh wrote:
Pararaptor wrote:

Eh, it could be partially because I love all those shitty 80s effects so much, but there was something about that film which just hit the mark for me.

Y'see, I actually thought the effects in that film were much more effective (Ahthankoo) than modern CGI

Why? Because CGI is CGI, there's no disguising it. That stuff, however, is real. What it's portraying (stomach-mouths, crawly-faces-of-impending-peril) are not, but the actual psychical things exist, and that adds another element in my mind.

मैं हिन्दी जानना चाहता हूँ…અને ગુજરાતી…ਅਤੇ ਪੰਜਾਬੀ…এবং হয়ত বাংলা.
Aprenderé a bailar salsa y nada detendrá me. 对不起我的中文不好,对不起我不知道你说什么。
Не слышны в саду даже шорохи. Все здесь замерло до утра, Если б знали вы, как мне дороги, Подмосковные вечера.
The problem with having an open mind, you see, is that people insist on coming along and putting things in it
- Sir Terry Pratchett
GrinningManiac
His Grace, His Excellency, The Duke of Ankh; Commander Sir Alasdair Lawrence

Leprechaun Gold : 15180
Pineapple Power : 3009
Alignment : Morally Unperturbed Mongoose-Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dude on Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:30 pm

FIGHT CLUB FIGHT CLUB FIGHT CLUB

If you've haven't seen it, see it now.

Also Pulp Fiction, but I can forgive you for getting bored in parts.

One good Freudian slip deserves a mother.
Dude
Asbestos Baby

Leprechaun Gold : 3675
Pineapple Power : 408

Back to top Go down

Post by Alkaline on Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:41 pm

MilkyFresh wrote:The Thing is an absolutely brilliant horror movie. It's not very scary, but it really nails the tension perfectly. And if you liked Rock N Rolla, check out Snatch and Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels. Guy Ritchie is good, but he does seem to be continually making the same film... Sherlock was a but different, but it was also a bit worse. I guess he should just keep doing what he does well...

Check out Bronson.
Apart from the above, I suppose.... Layer Cake? Kinda what Snatch would be like if it took itself really seriously.

Also, there's Cubes 1 and 2, I suppose.

Xandy wrote:
MilkyFresh wrote:DO MEEEE

DO MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Fuck Milky I always knew you were a fag for me.
Alkaline
Refuse to Kill the Same Way Twice

Leprechaun Gold : 6400
Pineapple Power : -582

Back to top Go down

Post by Pararaptor on Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:28 am

teh_pwning_dude wrote:FIGHT CLUB FIGHT CLUB FIGHT CLUB
Eh.
Fight Club... was pretty boring, I thought.

SnootyJuggaloman wrote:House of 1000 Corpses
I can't be the only one who found this film... homely?
I'm not sure of the word for it, but it felt like the kind of place I'd be perfectly happy living in.
Pararaptor

Back to top Go down

Post by GrinningManiac on Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:27 pm

Oh, and Godfather I and II

You don't really need to watch Godfather III, as it's kinda more of the same with a less gripping character development throughout. I saw it and thought it subpar compared to its siblings. However, you might as well buy the box set and watch it as well

Не слышны в саду даже шорохи. Все здесь замерло до утра, Если б знали вы, как мне дороги, Подмосковные вечера.
The problem with having an open mind, you see, is that people insist on coming along and putting things in it
- Sir Terry Pratchett
GrinningManiac

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:25 pm

Watch every Kitano film ever.

Then love him like I do (Or at least try. You'll probably fail)

I felt my sphincter clench and my scrotum contract in shock at his response.
Hubilub
Conquistador of the Useless

Leprechaun Gold : 15081
Pineapple Power : 4328
Alignment : Probiotics are Evil

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:10 pm

Been watching some old Hitchcock films lately, and dayum, they're good.

The Lady Vanishes especially. It manages at once to be very tense, very confusing and utterly hilarious. Plus, it's a lot more risqué than what America was allowing at the time, including, perish the thought, a woman being slapped on the bottom! Mercy me.

Very worth watching.

This device will make me famous
This device will make me fly
This device will make me holy
This device defies all laws

Laws that are stupid, and make no sense.

Big Black, Newman Generator

The New Adventures of Momo Murphy
Furburt
Arrested For Copying Dogs

Leprechaun Gold : 71957
Pineapple Power : 42707
Alignment : The Clan MacGinty, the Clan Nangle, The Clan O'Neill and the Clan Moriarty

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by GrinningManiac on Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:53 pm

The imaginarium of doctor Parnassus.

Not nessicarily for the story (which is good) or the cast (which is great) or the aesthetic (which is mind blowing). Dont't even see it because it's ledger's last apperance.

See it for the greatest representation of the Devil ever. He's not hooves and horns and fiery evil -he's a conman of souls, the ultimate trickster. I saw the film with my uncle...a Catholic priest. That was interesting.

Plus the devil is portrayed by a gravel-voiced blues musician. WIN.

- Sir Terry Pratchett
GrinningManiac

Back to top Go down

Post by reg42 on Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:29 am

I love how seriously the new Harry Potter movie takes itself; it's so cute. But seriously, that movie is fucking stupid. My recommendation is don't see it.

"Fuck, fuck, fuck/Mutha, mutha fuck/Mutha, mutha fuck fuck/Mutha fuck, mutha fuck/Noinch, noinch, noinch

1-2-1-2-3-4/Noinch, noinch, noinch/Smokin' weed/Smokin' wiz/Doin' coke/Drinkin' beers/Drinkin' beers, beers, beers

Rollin' fatties, smokin' blunts/Who smokes the blunts/We smoke the blunts/Rollin' blunts and smokin...

15 bucks little man/Put that shit in my hand/If that money doesn't show/Then you owe me owe me owe

reg42
Uncle Mint Floss

Back to top Go down

Post by Pararaptor on Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:20 am

reg42 wrote:I love how seriously the new Harry Potter movie takes itself; it's so cute. But seriously, that movie is fucking stupid. My recommendation is don't see it.
Why? I thought it was pretty damn good.

The Nazi-uniformed Ministry of Magic workers were genius.
Pararaptor

Back to top Go down

Post by GrinningManiac on Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:49 pm

Pararaptor wrote:
reg42 wrote:I love how seriously the new Harry Potter movie takes itself; it's so cute. But seriously, that movie is fucking stupid. My recommendation is don't see it.

It was a little overdone in my opinion

I was thinking "Oh, hey, that guy's in a Gestapo-like uniform. Neat"

Then I was all like "Huh, those pamphlets look familia-OH I GET IT! That's clever"

Then when the billion German Army grey-uniformed soldiers chased after the trio I began thinking "Okay, I get it - Nazis. I GET IT. STOP WITH THE NAZIS. I GET THE IDEA. STOP IT."

- Sir Terry Pratchett
GrinningManiac

Back to top Go down

Post by reg42 on Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:26 pm

Pararaptor wrote:

I didn't like it for a few reasons.
The first was that I hadn't seen the previous movie (my fault) and that I hadn't read the book (my fault again), but this movie was clearly made for long time fans so I didn't have a big idea of what was happening a lot of the time.
There was nothing subtle about the entire film. Everything was BOOM CRASH BURN CHAOS. Even during the quite moments, the acting was over the top and cheesy. The nazi-esque scene also felt like it was shoving the idea very far down my throat.
They didn't make anything of
This one is a minor spoiler:
Mad Eye Moody's death! What the fuck?! He was the best character in the entire series! If you're going to kill him off then give him something better than "Moody's dead, mmmkay?". Even that stupid CG rat Dobby got a more dignified sending off than moody!

Hmm... Bit of a mini-rant there.
To lighten the mood of this post:

reg42
Uncle Mint Floss

Back to top Go down

Post by GrinningManiac on Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:36 pm

reg42 wrote:
Pararaptor wrote:

I didn't like it for a few reasons.
The first was that I hadn't seen the previous movie (my fault) and that I hadn't read the book (my fault again), but this movie was clearly made for long time fans so I didn't have a big idea of what was happening a lot of the time.
There was nothing subtle about the entire film. Everything was BOOM CRASH BURN CHAOS. Even during the quite moments, the acting was over the top and cheesy. The nazi-esque scene also felt like it was shoving the idea very far down my throat.
They didn't make anything of
This one is a minor spoiler:
Mad Eye Moody's death! What the fuck?! He was the best character in the entire series! If you're going to kill him off then give him something better than "Moody's dead, mmmkay?". Even that stupid CG rat Dobby got a more dignified sending off than moody!

Hmm... Bit of a mini-rant there.
To lighten the mood of this post:

Completley agree

People defended that scene (also, the suddenness and lack of impact resulting from Hedwig's death) by saying that both Moody's and Hedwig's deaths were sudden in the books and didn't affect the pace much

I would say that the books allowed for pages of inner monolouging about the feelings in these moments without breaking pace

The fact that films and books are different mean that scene dosen't work as part of a real-time piece of drama.
They seem so overly eager to pointlessly rewrite parts of the story to cut down in other areas - why don't they rewrite that bit to be a bit more filmable?

- Sir Terry Pratchett
GrinningManiac

Back to top Go down

Post by Terria on Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:15 pm

I saw A Hard Day's Night for the first time yesterday and I think if you haven't seen it yet you really should. Not for the importance to film or any of that crap, just because it's four guys being brilliantly sarcastic.

What do you call that hairstyle?
Arthur.

I'll hit you so fucking hard your children be born with dits! Your grandchildren will be born with dits!
Terria
Michele Bachmann

Leprechaun Gold : 22076
Pineapple Power : 17072

Back to top Go down

Post by GrinningManiac on Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:21 pm

"Inside Man" is interesting. Go see it if you love those kind of films where the bank robbers or conmen seem to be in trouble, but then everything goes according to plan and you see awesome flashbacks which tie together little hints that had been in scenes throughout the film that show what their real plan was and how it worked

- Sir Terry Pratchett
GrinningManiac

Back to top Go down

Post by Furburt on Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:25 pm

Freebird wrote:I saw A Hard Day's Night for the first time yesterday and I think if you haven't seen it yet you really should. Not for the importance to film or any of that crap, just because it's four guys being brilliantly sarcastic.

What do you call that hairstyle?
Arthur.

John Lennon gets in a few jokes that were quite risque. When asked what his favourite thing is by a female reporter, he silently borrows her notepad and jots it down, then shows it to her and she nearly faints. You can clearly see he's written "Tits".

Also, the bit where he puts a bottle of coke on his nose and pretends to snort it.

This device will make me famous
This device will make me fly
This device will make me holy
This device defies all laws

Laws that are stupid, and make no sense.

Big Black, Newman Generator

The New Adventures of Momo Murphy
Furburt
Arrested For Copying Dogs

Leprechaun Gold : 71957
Pineapple Power : 42707
Alignment : The Clan MacGinty, the Clan Nangle, The Clan O'Neill and the Clan Moriarty

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Furburt

Back to top Go down

Post by reg42 on Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:16 pm

My God. I just saw the worst film of my life. The American. It's... just awful. It's an hour of boringasfuck, half an hour of forced romance, and 5 minutes of unrealistic action.

reg42
Uncle Mint Floss

Back to top Go down

Post by Terria on Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:10 pm

I just watched The King of Comedy.

It was good. Robert De Niro was excellent in it.

I'll hit you so fucking hard your children be born with dits! Your grandchildren will be born with dits!
Terria
Michele Bachmann

Back to top Go down

Post by Terria on Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:16 pm

Oh, and Joe should watch it because Mick Jones, Paul Simonon and Joe Strummer have a cameo.

Terria
Michele Bachmann

Back to top Go down

Post by Wayward on Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:24 am

I did not know this thread existed until now. There are many movies I would recommend, but for now I'll just say I am very much looking forward to Pete Smalls is Dead. It hits mainstream theaters in the US in October. I don't know when it will be available elsewhere.
I'll come up with a real list when I'm more awake and coherent.

daaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Wayward
Resident Slut

Leprechaun Gold : 4547
Pineapple Power : 317

Back to top Go down

Post by Komrade Kharloth on Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:13 am

Iron sky looks cool as fuck

Nazees on the moon, who knew?

Μολών λαβέ

Komrade Kharloth
God's Hero-man

Leprechaun Gold : 14610
Pineapple Power : 1892
Alignment : Orthodox

Back to top Go down

Post by Katzenjammer on Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:37 am

Fargo is fucking genius.

She's turned the weans against us.
Katzenjammer
Zoot Suit

Leprechaun Gold : 6531
Pineapple Power : 424

Back to top Go down

Post by MilkyFresh on Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:11 am

Furburt wrote:Been watching some old Hitchcock films lately, and dayum, they're good.

The Lady Vanishes especially. It manages at once to be very tense, very confusing and utterly hilarious. Plus, it's a lot more risqué than what America was allowing at the time, including, perish the thought, a woman being slapped on the bottom! Mercy me.

Very worth watching.
I gots me about twenty of Hitchcock's earliest films on a box set. Juno and the Paycock is the fucking best.

WHY MONKEY, WHY?
No one loves a prick,
MilkyFresh
Wizard of Piss

Back to top Go down

Post by MilkyFresh on Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:11 am

katzenjammer wrote:Fargo is fucking genius.

WHY MONKEY, WHY?
No one loves a prick,
MilkyFresh
Wizard of Piss

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:56 am

You haven't even seen it I bet

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by MilkyFresh on Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:58 am

Fuck up. Swiss prick.

WHY MONKEY, WHY?
No one loves a prick,
MilkyFresh
Wizard of Piss

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:58 am

I'm stating to think you're reading these countries of a map. No way do you know all those countries by heart

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by MilkyFresh on Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:01 am

Over here in the real world we have an education system.

Somalian cunt.

WHY MONKEY, WHY?
No one loves a prick,
MilkyFresh
Wizard of Piss

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:01 am

I knew you didn't know any other European countries

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by MilkyFresh on Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:02 am

I did actually temporarily run out but I'm back on top now.

WHY MONKEY, WHY?
No one loves a prick,
MilkyFresh
Wizard of Piss

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubilub on Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:03 am

Which one is it now? Baltic states don't count, they're poor!

Hubilub

Back to top Go down

Post by MilkyFresh on Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:32 pm

I'm nearly done now.
Luxembourger.

WHY MONKEY, WHY?
No one loves a prick,
MilkyFresh
Wizard of Piss

Back to top Go down

Post by LordCuthberton on Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:57 pm

I like this thread already.

Um, I'll put a few in.

Fargo

Coen Brothers. No further questions.

Shallow Grave

Pictured: Awesome.

Leon

Gary Oldman. Best actor ever.

Memento

Just go watch them.

He that climbs the highest has the greatest fall.

PRAISE THE SUN
LordCuthberton
"Aha, I am also an assassin"

Leprechaun Gold : -2147472378
Pineapple Power : 1990

https://www.facebook.com/100PercentWinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next