Ha ha, Paraptoraraptor goes to the theatre

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ha ha, Paraptoraraptor goes to the theatre

Post by Pararaptor on Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:23 pm

As is required to pass my Drama class, I went to see a play with the rest of the class today. That play was Namatjira, a play based on the life of the first Indigenous Australian to receive citizenship, Albert Namatjira or Elea Namatjiritjia -[sp? I got no idea & google yields nothing]
The play details Albert's early life in a Christian German mission camp, & the crippled soldier who teaches him to paint. As Albert's skill with the paintbrush grows, the white population becomes aware of his work & he elevates in fame up to the point of meeting the Queen. As he is bound by tradition to support his tribe, most of his money goes to them & forced to sell his copyright to help them, eventually being arrested after a man he supplied liquor to rapes & murders a woman. I give away nothing in spoiling the plot, it is the execution that makes this play great.

It's the biggest drag in the history of ever that this will probably only be relevant to the other Australians on here, because this was the most brilliant play I've ever seen, trumping even the gothic-punk take on The Rocky Horror Show I saw a few years ago & Ugly Slut, the newborn play that inspired me to get into acting I saw the year after that. Everything about it is absolutely superb: the acting was impeccable- physicality abounded & was perfect, the characters from the very start could be trusted, were likeable. The play could almost be considered a comedy the way they weaved so much positive, gentle & great humour into a tragic story.
Despite this, the play still draws to a close sad in tone that makes you feel for a man who receives so very little characterisation. While you get a very good sense of other characters in the play, the man it all revolves around you never really get to know well.

If ever you get a chance to see this play, take it. I'm taking my family & friends who weren't there to see it again, the first time I've ever done something like this.

If anything, see it just for the scene where Albert & his soon-to-be-wife sing & dance to Barry White, one singing in English, the other in Namatjira's native dialect.

If I can find a video of the play (and it deserves to be filmed, so badly) I'll see if I can get it up here. Longest applause I've ever heard for a play.
Pararaptor
10 Foot Tall Walking Avocado

Leprechaun Gold : 63914
Pineapple Power : 50698

http://steamcommunity.com/id/pararaptor

Back to top Go down

Re: Ha ha, Paraptoraraptor goes to the theatre

Post by MilkyFresh on Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:51 pm

Dude, high praise.
If you ever manage to find a video I'll check it the hell out.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
WHY MONKEY, WHY?
No one loves a prick,
No one loves a coffee sniffing motherfucker.
MilkyFresh
Wizard of Piss

Leprechaun Gold : 38817
Pineapple Power : 22738
Alignment : Arseheart

Back to top Go down

Post by reg42 on Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:03 pm

I'd like to see it, if you manage to find a video.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"Fuck, fuck, fuck/Mutha, mutha fuck/Mutha, mutha fuck fuck/Mutha fuck, mutha fuck/Noinch, noinch, noinch

1-2-1-2-3-4/Noinch, noinch, noinch/Smokin' weed/Smokin' wiz/Doin' coke/Drinkin' beers/Drinkin' beers, beers, beers

Rollin' fatties, smokin' blunts/Who smokes the blunts/We smoke the blunts/Rollin' blunts and smokin...

Oh, let me get a nickle bag

15 bucks little man/Put that shit in my hand/If that money doesn't show/Then you owe me owe me owe

My jungle looooove/Oh-e-oh-e-oh/I think I wanna know ya, know ya"
reg42
Uncle Mint Floss

Leprechaun Gold : 36146
Pineapple Power : 30214
Alignment : Chaotically good looking

http://www.last.fm/user/reg42

Back to top Go down

Post by NightSwimming on Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:20 am

Man, sounds amazing! I haven't seen many, but damn I love a good play.
Ditto w the video

First thing we gotta do is get rid of all these shamrocks.
Nothing scares gay folk and black people like Irish crap.
NightSwimming
Sexy Murder Victim

Leprechaun Gold : 4712
Pineapple Power : 415
Alignment : Aged 30. Non Smoker. Liar.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top